Thread: Needing some help with an 8hp45

Potential Tuner

Needing some help with an 8hp45

I have a 2018 Chrysler 300 V6, 3.90 gears, and a transmission that is kicking my butt.

With the factory tune I was getting really slow upshifts after the gear was installed.
    I adjusted the shift points down (1100 output shaft) to where the trans had time to shift before the engine hit fuel cut.
    The shifts were happening at 6500, but accompanied by a long (.6+ second) throttle closure (to 20% or so) and actual torque during the shift event was dropping into the low 20's/ high teens (not as in a drop of 20, but as in 20 was all that it was showing under actual torque in the log).

To remedy this I turned off ETC for the transmission (under the engine/ torque management/ general/ transmission), and when i ran it again, I got.... the same throttle closures.

I then messed with it for a few days, and after all my tinkering, it still isn't right.

What I have done in the tune:

increased oncoming pressures (matched sport mode pretty much)
    reduced ramp times (once again, just tried to match sport mode)
    slight bump in line pressure for each gear (10%)
    reduced nominal slip time (matched sport mode again)

Those changes helped with the duration of the closures slightly at full throttle, but did nothing to lessen their severity.

I then began adjusting torque management to see if that helped with the severity.
    What I have done in torque management (in no particular order)
    increased "slip" under the max torque limit tab by 10 ft/lbs (from 184 to 194)
    reduced gear engagement torque management by 20%
    reduced forced torque management by 30% (except 2-3, which remains untouched)
    reduced main torque management by 60% (for all but 2-3, it was reduced 50%)

These changes have it shifting better, but it is still closing the throttle, and I am unsure if the torque numbers I am seeing during upshifts are acceptable. It is showing 120-130ft/lbs actual torque during the uoshifts, and I don't know what is considered safe for these. I know it may sound a bit odd, but the car doesn't "sound" right going though the gears- it sounds like someone shifting a manual transmission with the clutch quickly, not an automatic. So before I just go driving it like this and possibly hurting it, I figured I would ask.

If someone could please let me know if I'm on the right track, or if there was another parameter I should be looking at, I would appreciate it.

This is a datazap of my log on a 0-60 https://datazap.me/u/dislexicalgeria...RcvC30x8Y0Vljk

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Strut404 View Post
    I have a 2018 Chrysler 300 V6, 3.90 gears, and a transmission that is kicking my butt.

With the factory tune I was getting really slow upshifts after the gear was installed.
    I adjusted the shift points down (1100 output shaft) to where the trans had time to shift before the engine hit fuel cut.
    The shifts were happening at 6500, but accompanied by a long (.6+ second) throttle closure (to 20% or so) and actual torque during the shift event was dropping into the low 20's/ high teens (not as in a drop of 20, but as in 20 was all that it was showing under actual torque in the log).

To remedy this I turned off ETC for the transmission (under the engine/ torque management/ general/ transmission), and when i ran it again, I got.... the same throttle closures.

I then messed with it for a few days, and after all my tinkering, it still isn't right.

What I have done in the tune:

increased oncoming pressures (matched sport mode pretty much)
    reduced ramp times (once again, just tried to match sport mode)
    slight bump in line pressure for each gear (10%)
    reduced nominal slip time (matched sport mode again)

Those changes helped with the duration of the closures slightly at full throttle, but did nothing to lessen their severity.

I then began adjusting torque management to see if that helped with the severity.
    What I have done in torque management (in no particular order)
    increased "slip" under the max torque limit tab by 10 ft/lbs (from 184 to 194)
    reduced gear engagement torque management by 20%
    reduced forced torque management by 30% (except 2-3, which remains untouched)
    reduced main torque management by 60% (for all but 2-3, it was reduced 50%)

These changes have it shifting better, but it is still closing the throttle, and I am unsure if the torque numbers I am seeing during upshifts are acceptable. It is showing 120-130ft/lbs actual torque during the uoshifts, and I don't know what is considered safe for these. I know it may sound a bit odd, but the car doesn't "sound" right going though the gears- it sounds like someone shifting a manual transmission with the clutch quickly, not an automatic. So before I just go driving it like this and possibly hurting it, I figured I would ask.

If someone could please let me know if I'm on the right track, or if there was another parameter I should be looking at, I would appreciate it.

This is a datazap of my log on a 0-60 https://datazap.me/u/dislexicalgeria...RcvC30x8Y0Vljk
    Hello!
    Yeah, based on your description, it doesnt sound correct at all.
    Not necessary you need to change pressures (or line pressure) to achieve a faster shift. There are many more factors to it.

Depending on the modifications the vehicle has, it is suggested a "different combo" of changes. Also, the expected vehicle behavior plays big on what (or how much to change).

Also, make transmission to "shift aggressive" is fairly easy. However, make it in a way transmission lifetime will not be much affected it the harder part.

I watched the video. Graphically speaking, it doesnt look right as well (specially 2nd to 3rd - it has a "belly")

Most likely, the combination "shift RPM, torque management and pressure" were done in the wrong way.

DodgeBoy.
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@dodgeboy2785

Potential Tuner
    I emailed you DodgeBoy

Potential Tuner
    Quick update- Dodgeboy absolutely killed it. It is way better than what I had, the car is quicker 0-60 than it's ever been (7.3 stock gear/tune, 6.4 my tune 3.90 gears, 5.8 with Dodgeboy's tune), and drives like the grandpa-mobile it is when I'm driving like a normal person.