Thread: 2003 silverado ss flex fuel help. Disabled Vet need help. Thanks

Potential Tuner

2003 silverado ss flex fuel help. Disabled Vet need help. Thanks

Im a disabled us army combat vet so naturally im poor and not smart lol. 2003 silverado ss i i think it is set up right but have read i need a custom os and have no idea how to do that. My kid has to drive a 60mi daily to school. E85 by me is $2 per gal. The truck has electric fans cold air headers 340 fuel pump. I have a set of de-capped injectors i will put in some time for now just stock ones and stay off the throttle. I will load an others tune and pay the credits if i have to we just really need it to work with out changing stoic manually. Attached tune is set up for map tuning currently. I read 0% alcohol content currently. Thanks guys

Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Have you installed a physical flex fuel sensor in the fuel line?

Potential Tuner
    Yes it?s installed pined in and wired. I log my wideband through egr and hook up a few I double checked the pin is all the way in the harness as well. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Here is your file with the flex fuel segment swapped in...

14withflexfuelsegmentandstock25lbinj.hpt

Your timing table was terrible. There were places where it would exceed 40 degrees timing at WOT. It shouldn't exceed 26 degrees on 92 octane pump gas or 30 degrees on E85.
    I replaced your timing table with one that is much more conservative.

Senior Tuner
    Throw away the decapped injectors and buy real injectors.

Potential Tuner
    do you think i could have knock sensor issues im getting no spark knock until there. thanks greg

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the help. I was getting no spark knock with timing there. Basically I watched goat-rope garage and got his scanner layout?s and went from there. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks again

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by greg brandt View Post
    do you think i could have knock sensor issues im getting no spark knock until there. thanks greg
    The knock sensors are definitely not working properly. It should have had audible detonation, and smoke out of the exhaust.

Potential Tuner
    I must have something off in the scanner if I bump spark up I can hear the knock. I will get a data log later. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    You gotta bring the spark down, man. Never exceed MBT (Maximum Brake Torque) in load regions. You're losing torque and causing excessive stress to components. Highly recommend loading stock spark settings.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Any good vids to watch or basic spark tuning. I?m 42 and my computer skills are keyboarding my senior year lol. Is there any way to message people directly. I just dont know much I know all engine principles and theory I just have trouble finding things lots of tables. Greg

Senior Tuner
    Base stock spark with the Ethanol spark trims from the segment swap should be all you need.

That is unless the engine has been modified...

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Here is your file with the flex fuel segment swapped in...

14withflexfuelsegmentandstock25lbinj.hpt

Your timing table was terrible. There were places where it would exceed 40 degrees timing at WOT. It shouldn't exceed 26 degrees on 92 octane pump gas or 30 degrees on E85.
    I replaced your timing table with one that is much more conservative.
    Thank you Kevin. My son bought a 2003 SS and wants to convert to flex. I used this file to segment swap. Thanks for making my life easier.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Vardaman View Post
    Thank you Kevin. My son bought a 2003 SS and wants to convert to flex. I used this file to segment swap. Thanks for making my life easier.
    Awesome! I'm glad to help!