Thread: Cammed 392 runs great but dies when revved hard.

Advanced Tuner

Cammed 392 runs great but dies when revved hard.

Hey guys just looking to see if anyone has any insight on this. Cammed 392 Jeep SRT, runs great, fuel trims look great, wot is on point. Runs excellent overall and doesn't bog, jerk or die, except when I rev it in part kinda hard. The idle comes down like normal and dips a bit then dies. Other than that its near perfect although I would like a bit more chop. Anyone know what fields I should be looking at to make adjustments.

Tuner
    Go ahead and give this a whirl for both of your issues currently. The chop and the dying when revved hard. Let me know if either get any better.
    2016 Ram CCSB Forged NA 396ci Stroker
    +2.5cc Flat/Dome Mahle Power-Pak Forged Pistons w/13.2/1 CR on E85
    Forged Manley 4.05" Stroke Crank/Speed Master Valvetrain
    Race Ported Eagles/Titanium 2.12"/Titanium 1.62" Valves
    Custom Cam 235/249 .629/.629 111LSA 110ICL+1Adv
    Ported Holley Hi-Ram Intake/NXpress Hi-Ram NO2 Plate kit w/250 Shot(4 sec)
    Tx Spd 2" Long Tubes/Active Viper Hood/2-Step
    ATI SD w/15% UD/Dual 450 Pumps/Fuel Cell in Bed/Demon 700cc Inj
    3800 stall/Det Tru-Trac/410 Gears

Potential Tuner
    can you tune a 2014 challenger 5.7 w a nsr cam vvy limite and 6.4 intake and injectors long headers no cats

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Spray Ram Hell cam. I saw you changed a ton of stuff. I didn't want to mess with the fueling and stuff because the car was dialed in pretty well already. I went over some of your idle changes and it seems to have helped the dying on a free rev. I did make a small change to the torque loss table as well. The chop might be a tad better but its hard to tell. It still has the factory mid muffler on it and is way to quite, even with long tubes and Borla Atak. Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll keep some of these changes in mind going forward. You went way more aggressive the on the idle torque spark stuff then I had seen before.

Tuner
    Yea. Sorry about that Jason. I was actually working on a couple tunes at the same time and managed to at some point jump off track somewhere along the line and crossed up your tune and another's 392 race-build tune. And that explains why I, later on, went to finish the other tune only to find all my previous work hadn't saved and really hsd me thrown off. Lol. Your adjustments should have been just the Proportional P/N and Proportional Drive tables (Yea, usually +/-30-35-ish input in these two tables will max out your potential for cam chop), then lowering your idle everywhere in the tune down to the 600-625 range, lowering the idle area of your Base Minimum Spark table down around the -25 degrees range (The idle area usually ends up being a 3X3 or 4X4 block of table inputs), and then I'll also go into the start-up spark table and lower the bottom 2 rows to -30 degrees and lower the last two columns down to -64 degrees. Leaning out the fueling in your idle area will improve the idle chop as well, but otherwise, these adjustments laid out above will maximize chop potential based on what Ive been able to figure out over time anyways.Again, I apologize for the mix up there. You were probably over there looking at my revision thinking WTF ("Why" TF) did thus guy mess with all of my sh*t! Lol.
    2016 Ram CCSB Forged NA 396ci Stroker
    +2.5cc Flat/Dome Mahle Power-Pak Forged Pistons w/13.2/1 CR on E85
    Forged Manley 4.05" Stroke Crank/Speed Master Valvetrain
    Race Ported Eagles/Titanium 2.12"/Titanium 1.62" Valves
    Custom Cam 235/249 .629/.629 111LSA 110ICL+1Adv
    Ported Holley Hi-Ram Intake/NXpress Hi-Ram NO2 Plate kit w/250 Shot(4 sec)
    Tx Spd 2" Long Tubes/Active Viper Hood/2-Step
    ATI SD w/15% UD/Dual 450 Pumps/Fuel Cell in Bed/Demon 700cc Inj
    3800 stall/Det Tru-Trac/410 Gears

Advanced Tuner
    It's all good. It did seem to chop a bit better but I really think his factory mid muffler was holding it back. It had headers and borla Atak and was whisper quiet. Thanks again for your help.

how do you get it to idle at 600 rpm? that seems pretty low for a cammed car? i can only get mine to idle at 750 without issue
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by james1595 View Post
    how do you get it to idle at 600 rpm? that seems pretty low for a cammed car? i can only get mine to idle at 750 without issue
    What issue? Is it dying?

Quote Originally Posted by JASON11WS6 View Post
    What issue? Is it dying?
    It doesnt die, just idles kinda rough and sounds like it wants to die
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers