Thread: Hypotheical question E84 to E78 swap

Advanced Tuner

Hypotheical question E84 to E78 swap

I've been playing with GM 1.4 turbo engines a bit, especially the version 1 iron block. All in STAND ALONE mode. (no TCM FPCM or BCM
    I have also played with the NA version of the iron block. Both running with the same E78 ECM, wiring harness, and tune.

I have tested the Direct Injection LE2 with its own E80A ECM.

NOW, I have a 2020 Spark LV7 NA, Port injection 1.4 aluminum block that uses the E84 ECM. I want to test this with a TURBO.
    The LV7 has MOSTLY the same sensors and actuators, only obviously missing is Turbo inlet pressure (BOOST).
    What are the odds I can take the E78 turbo ECM, wiring harness, sensors (different) and swap them onto the LV7, and it will run?????

***2023-11-19*** The LV7 block looks very much like the LE2 turbo block, The boss for the turbo drain fitting is there and the holes are dimpled on the casting. I took the pan off and drilled the drain hole so now I can put the pan back on. The plan (right now) is the swap all the turbo sensors (MAP, MAF, Boost from the Gen 1 iron block 1.4 turbo over to the LV7, then use the Gen 1 harness to attach all the sensors to the Gen 1 ECM (E78).

***2023-11-22*** feeling optimistic this will work. I had to swap the LUV coil pack over to the LV7 due to there being s=a shortage of the connectors necessary's to build the break out cable to hook the E78 coil harness to the LV7 individual coil packs.

****2024-01-08**** I found the proper connectors on Amazon. They have both the male and female connectors for repair purposes. So I adapted the LV7 wiring harness (coil on plug part) to attach to the LUV (E78) wiring harness.
    Last edited by sprinto7; 01-08-2024 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Update

cam timming

Quote Originally Posted by sprinto7 View Post
    I've been playing with GM 1.4 turbo engines a bit, especially the version 1 iron block. All in STAND ALONE mode. (no TCM FPCM or BCM
    I have also played with the NA version of the iron block. Both running with the same E78 ECM, wiring harness, and tune.

I have tested the Direct Injection LE2 with its own E80A ECM.

NOW, I have a 2020 Spark LV7 NA, Port injection 1.4 aluminum block that uses the E84 ECM. I want to test this with a TURBO.
    The LV7 has MOSTLY the same sensors and actuators, only obviously missing is Turbo inlet pressure (BOOST).
    What are the odds I can take the E78 turbo ECM, wiring harness, sensors (different) and swap them onto the LV7, and it will run?????

***2023-11-19*** The LV7 block looks very much like the LE2 turbo block, The boss for the turbo drain fitting is there and the holes are dimpled on the casting. I took the pan off and drilled the drain hole so now I can put the pan back on. The plan (right now) is the swap all the turbo sensors (MAP, MAF, Boost from the Gen 1 iron block 1.4 turbo over to the LV7, then use the Gen 1 harness to attach all the sensors to the Gen 1 ECM (E78).

***2023-11-22*** feeling optimistic this will work. I had to swap the LUV coil pack over to the LV7 due to there being s=a shortage of the connectors necessary's to build the break out cable to hook the E78 coil harness to the LV7 individual coil packs.

Cam timing might be different that's about all I can think of

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carotene View Post
    Cam timing might be different that's about all I can think of
    I think you are correct. I've been comparing the cam timing between the Iron and Aluminum blocks, (NA and Turbo) and the both AL use lots more variable cam timing numbers.
    It's a $500.00 engine so a few bent valves won't be a BIG problem. :-)

[QUOTE=sprinto7;758545]I think you are correct. I've been comparing the cam timing between the Iron and Aluminum blocks, (NA and Turbo) and the both AL use lots more variable cam timing numbers.
    It's a $500.00 engine so a few bent valves won't be a BIG problem. :-)[/

Hopefully that's all that happens and it doesn't ruin a seat. There may be enough clearance so that the difference in timing won't be to much to cause a problem.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorting out the E78 wiring harness: the connectors on the Cam solenoids and the Cam Position Sensors are different from the E78. The solenoids were missing from the engine so I bought new ones, I should have bought them with the connectors. Now I have to make an additional purchase, and the solenoid connectors are almost as expensive as the solenoids. TBC