Thread: 2017 Expedition tune/fix help

Tuner in Training

2017 Expedition tune/fix help

I recently bought a 2017 Expedition, didn't really get on it on the test drive and have found some issues on WOT pulls now. According to my scanner the pedal goes 100% but the Throttle body only goes 70% max and fluctuates causing "studdering" during WOT or even 3/4 throttle trying to pass someone. I was hoping to get it tuned soon but need to figure out the throttle body/pedal issue 1st. Does anyone have any ideas on why the throttle would open/close on WOT? Ive attached a recent log with I hope is enough channels logged to maybe tell.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is normal for the throttle to open and close on an Ecoboost. It is part of how they control boost. The more you read on here, the more you will see that same question and same answer.

The shuttering you experience is probably bad plugs, plugs with too large of a gap, or condensation and oil inside your intercooler rushing up into the intake upon heavy throttle or possibly all of the above. For the liquid inside the intercooler lots of F150 and Exped owners drill a tiny hole at the lowest part of the intercooler end tank to let it blow the junk out gradually over time. Easy to find youtube video on that subject.

There is a lot to learn about these creatures but there is quite a bit to like about them too.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    It is normal for the throttle to open and close on an Ecoboost. It is part of how they control boost. The more you read on here, the more you will see that same question and same answer.

The shuttering you experience is probably bad plugs, plugs with too large of a gap, or condensation and oil inside your intercooler rushing up into the intake upon heavy throttle or possibly all of the above. For the liquid inside the intercooler lots of F150 and Exped owners drill a tiny hole at the lowest part of the intercooler end tank to let it blow the junk out gradually over time. Easy to find youtube video on that subject.

There is a lot to learn about these creatures but there is quite a bit to like about them too.
    I just changed plugs and drilled the hole in the intercooler. Still does the same studdering.

What did you gap the plugs at? Most seem to like .027-.028". That is what I do.

Also the rubber coil boots and springs inside the boots can be a problem.

Once you have confirmed these things, if it still studders it would really help to scan which plug is misfiring during the studdering.

Senior Tuner
    No that's not normal, unless you've been adjusting stuff. Post the tune.

Are you referring to the throttle wavering between 1:35.14 and 1:35.20 and again around 1:35.40s that is the throttle metering the airflow into the intake manifold to maintain roughly 14psi boost, which it does except for 1:35.19 and again at 1:35.47 (pops up to 17.2psi for a moment at 4250rpm)? Also curious to see your tune.

Tuner in Training
    They are gapped at .030". I tried to add cylinder misfires in the scanner but couldn't find individual cylinder misfire like GM does. The coils are newer but whoever did the work before I got it put duralast coils in it and a Dorman throttle body on it. I dont want to just throw the parts cannon at it saying its the duralast coils or the TB without actually knowing/seeing thats what it is based on actual data. The tune from what I can tell is stock, downloaded a stock file from the repository and there are no differences in them.

Tuner in Training
    Heres the tune file pulled from the truck.

Tuner in Training
    This log is before plug change and intercooler weep hole

Yes, the file is stock. It will be best if you can hook up to IDS and watch misfires clearly as you go wide open. I have asked HPTuners about adding it before but have not noticed it being added. So I use IDS. It is possible that Forscan might also have live misfire data. I use Forscan for coding Fords but they offer just about all that IDS offers in the way of diag as well.

I run Ford Performance plugs now, gapped .27". I'm sure there are other options but I need cooler plugs for what I do. Also, beware of ebay "Motorcraft" plugs. It is pretty clear that a lot of them are made somewhere else.

I should also mention that it takes them a little while to get past an old misfire. Clearing KAM (Keep Alive Memory) will help it learn fresh characteristics with your new plugs. I'm not absolutely sure of it but it seems that they can expect to see detonation or misfires or whatever in the situation where they used to see it. So after changes it can help to clear memory.

A little hole or tear in a coil boot can cause it to misfire as boost rises. Also very common, if the old plugs were bad and the spark began to take a route down the outside of the plug, that path is often burnt into the rubber boot. In such a case new plugs smooth it out until the cylinder pressure gets high enough to make the route down the outside of the plug an easier path than through the plug and from the electrode to the ground.

I have had quite a few of these come in needing plugs......and boots.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    Yes, the file is stock. It will be best if you can hook up to IDS and watch misfires clearly as you go wide open. I have asked HPTuners about adding it before but have not noticed it being added. So I use IDS. It is possible that Forscan might also have live misfire data. I use Forscan for coding Fords but they offer just about all that IDS offers in the way of diag as well.

I run Ford Performance plugs now, gapped .27". I'm sure there are other options but I need cooler plugs for what I do. Also, beware of ebay "Motorcraft" plugs. It is pretty clear that a lot of them are made somewhere else.

I should also mention that it takes them a little while to get past an old misfire. Clearing KAM (Keep Alive Memory) will help it learn fresh characteristics with your new plugs. I'm not absolutely sure of it but it seems that they can expect to see detonation or misfires or whatever in the situation where they used to see it. So after changes it can help to clear memory.

A little hole or tear in a coil boot can cause it to misfire as boost rises. Also very common, if the old plugs were bad and the spark began to take a route down the outside of the plug, that path is often burnt into the rubber boot. In such a case new plugs smooth it out until the cylinder pressure gets high enough to make the route down the outside of the plug an easier path than through the plug and from the electrode to the ground.

I have had quite a few of these come in needing plugs......and boots.
    I used true motorcraft plugs but may lower the gap a little bit and see if that helps. It seems less noticeable after the plug change but it's for sure still there. I have a plug for Forscan coming today and was hoping it would have the ability to see each cylinder so I can narrow down whats wrong.

Senior Tuner
    Need to see throttle angle source and torque requests. Run a log using the attached config.

Tuner in Training
    Here's log using that file