Thread: How does my log look? Getting CL Fault but runs well.

Tuner in Training

How does my log look? Getting CL Fault but runs well.

How does this log after tune look and what could be causing the CL-Fault? I'm not experienced in tuning at all so I'm looking for input on anything that seems off in the log. This is a 03 Tahoe, 5.3 bored to 3.898 ls 5.7 flat top pistons, TSP mild cam, tbss intake, trans shift kit and trailblazer 4.2 converter in a 4l60e. I recently did MAF tuning but right after I thought I was done with that, the trans overheated. I rebuilt it with new clutches, seals, pistons, and bushings, convette servo and a few sonnax small parts upgrades. Other than the trans rebuild I welded in a wide band bung while I had the space under there.

Before first startup I used bluecat software to tune the trans for current wheel height, idle rpm, and stall. Trans and engine seem to be fine otherwise.

Thanksgiving day long run after trans rebuild.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Transmission is heating up pretty quickly. Keep an eye on it. Lot of slip on the torque converter.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. The torque converter remained the same so this may have been the issue all along. Thanks for the input.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Transmission is heating up pretty quickly. Keep an eye on it. Lot of slip on the torque converter.
    Should the TCC slip PID be 0 or match rpm? How can you tell?

Senior Tuner
    There's always slip while the torque converter is unlocked. Slip will equal engine rpm while stopped in gear. Slip increases with load, but at cruising speed it should be a lot closer than what it is. This log reads like the vehicle is pulling a 10000lb trailer through the mountains.

For example, here slip is over 900rpm. Engine rpm is stable, but slip takes a long time to decrease. In this spot you should be seeing about 1/3 as much slip. The plateau just to the right shows steady cruising speed of 45mph, but slip is 500rpm.
    tcc slip.png

I'm saying that TCC slip is excessive, but that doesn't necessarily mean the torque converter is bad. Could be something as simple as fluid condition and level.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 11-24-2023 at 09:03 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the information. I'm slowly learning PIDs and views in HP tuners and what information I should be looking for but in the mean time I don't want to make this hobby more expensive than it needs to be. The oil is brand new since I just rebuilt the tranny. What are other contributors to excesive slip besides a failing torque converter? There's also a leak in the hot (top)cooler line that I need to fix and was wondering if that could be one possibility. I do have an external trans cooler, small Hayden cooler, and at the time of install I thought it would be enough but that's before I started gearing this build toward a better performing daily driver.

Test run after transmission rebuild 11-26 tcc slip 1.hpl

I didn't do anything different to the transmission just decided to log after I was out of town for the weekend.
    Last edited by Nestorxg; 11-26-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Tuner in Training

Tuner in Training
    Daily driven
    Chevy Tahoe 5.3 bored to 5.7 3.898, flat top pistons
    TSP 212/212 112 LSA CAM, beehive springs, 799 heads
    TBSS intake and throttle body
    4l60e with shift kit and 2800 FTI stall, corvette servo