Thread: Picking a commanded AFR for N/A pump gas builds | General

Picking a commanded AFR for N/A pump gas builds | General

Why AFR is important

AFR is responsible for generating an air fuel mixture that creates an efficient burn.
    A rich AFR provides additional torque due to a faster flame front, cylinder cooling, can cause bogs/stumbling, and overall prevents a motor from burning up.
    A lean AFR provides carbon cleaning (at cruising speeds), better fuel economy, raises cylinder temperatures, can cause a hanging idle, and increases knock sensitivity.

Note: AFR is not responsible for generating peak power to the extent to which timing is.

Okay now we understand the importance of picking the correct AFR.

What does a well made AFR table look like

A well made AFR table will command various AFRs throughout the RPM range. This should not be a constant value of 12.x across the board.
    A richer AFR is desired at higher RPM to prevent knock and ensure the cylinders walls stay cool.
    At idle we want a leaner AFR because there are less combustion events occurring.

In a cammed car you have an unstable idle due to low vacuum resulting in poor cylinder filling.
    This means you will need to command a slightly richer AFR at to keep the engine running.

Now that we have an idea of how the AFR table should look, let's pick an AFR value.

Picking the actual AFR value

I've seen a 12.2-12.4 thrown around for 6.4 hemis.
    I've seen 12.8 thrown around as an upper limit.
    I've been told by hemi tuner (@mackBuilt on Instagram) that he shoots for low 11's (This seems insanely rich to me. Maybe this done to run some insane amount of timing?).

What I want to know is:

Q: How do we pick a target AFR in general?
    It's great if someone comes in here and tells me that "Running an AFR of 12.2-12.4 is ideal for a 6.4L hemi."
    What this doesn't tell me is how he or anyone else reached that conclusion. How do you find a baseline AFR for any engine? Start from stock and work from there?

I have also seen multiple people claim "See what the car responds best to."
    What data are we logging here? Butt dyno? 0-60 E.T? I'm looking for a scientific approach here.

Q: What is an acceptable range of AFR values? 0.5? 1.0?
    Going from 13.0-12.0 seems like a large swing.
    Going from 12.4-12.2 seems like a small swing.

Maybe I am over emphasizing the importance of AFR in this context, however I believe only experienced tuners can answer these questions.

Also, here is a link to the xml spreadsheet that can help you calculate your current and desired AFR.
    This has been supplied by 06300CSRT8
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    you are in the wrong forum

the general motors forum is down the hall

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    you are in the wrong forum

the general motors forum is down the hall
    Love the help guy

All I'm getting from this is that they may be more helpful?
    Are you hung up on using AFR over FAR even though it's the same thing?

See it a little scientific?.

CL 14.5~14.6. OL 12.5 / 11.2~11.7forced that?s it.

Or simple dyno it?

Advanced Tuner
    i dont try to use either afr or far cuz mine is a street car that is ran on fuel that does not come out of a can

the only way to reliably use ether of those ^^^ is to know the stoich of your fuel

search lambda

search and research : )