Thread: Wiring done to LS1, now trying to get throttle to react

Advanced Tuner

Wiring done to LS1, now trying to get throttle to react

EDIT/Update: I had two TAC wires crossed, so the problem was in my wiring. Now I have only 150% pedal problem...

I have a LS1 engine in engine stand and I have stripped original wiring harness and powered it with a battery charger. Now I got the connection with HPtuners and found out what I really have:
    The engine seems to be from Holden 2006 (VIN states it's from Caprice 2005). P59, ECM, GM Gen3 V8, 4.3L V6. OS: 12592433.
    The tune attached.

This engine came with T/B (8 pin) but without TAC module and without throttle pedal.
    I sourced a truck TAC (P/N 12573059) and pedal. I wired those temporarily to the engine harness and when I power it up, the throttle moves a bit and I can see desired throttle position together with throttle actual position in scanner.

I can't get the pedal position to react in the scanner. It's 0% all the time.
    There are no trouble codes active.
    EDIT: The tune disabled majority of the trouble codes for some "Australian" reason. I put most of them back on and got these:
    P0120 Throttle pedal position sensor A circuit
    P0315 Crankshaft position system variation not learned
    P2135 Throttle pedal position sensor /switch A/B voltage correlation

This might be a wiring issue, a compatibility issue with TAC/throttle body/pedal or something else.
    Could you steer me into right direction in finding out what is wrong?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tapi; 12-01-2023 at 07:41 AM.

Senior Tuner
    A battery charger will not run a car properly. It needs to be on a battery

you need to address the throttle codes
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    The battery charger has "supply"-mode which maintains 13.5V voltage. It works.

These DTC's are set:

There are too many variations in throttle related components and I have now checked that I have TAC and APP from '04 Silverado (TAC part nr 12573059).
    APP sensor has B, C, D, E, F, G (6 pins). I measured that B and G have 5V reference. C and F show rising signal, both in the same direction.

The throttle body is part number 12590211. So it's the Corvette C5 T/B. Of this I don't know is one signal rising and the other falling(?)

I find only one 5V reference when I measure from TAC->T/B wiring. Nr 7 is showing battery voltage and nr 6 shows 5V voltage. Interesting enough the nr 6 is stop lamp supply voltage in the schematic I have... It seems I don't have the correct wiring diagram. I was expecting two of the 5V reference voltages but I only found one.

Advanced Tuner
    TACpins.png
    To my understanding this is the setup with these parts.
    When all is connected, Throttle position (SAE) shows 16-19 %, throttle desired position shows 14 %. If I move the throttle blade by hand to WOT, it goes from that 16% to 98% nicely.
    Pedal position stays zero all the time.
    Trouble codes are:

I jumped a wire from T/B connector pin E to pin H, so they both have the same 5V reference voltage.
    The pedal position is still zero but now I got rid of the P0120 code. The only remaining is that P2135.

I tried to google any experience of pairing P59, 12590211 T/B and 12573059 TAC but without luck.

Senior Tuner
    You should follow the diagnostic aids for those codes in the factory service manual.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks. I checked all my wiring twice and on the second time I finally cought the issue: "I had Cruise control ON" and "T/B 5V ref sensor 1" wires crossed. Now I have no trouble codes and the blade moves along with the pedal.

But now I ran into the other problem which I was kind of expecting: My pedal goes from 0% to 148% while the throttle blade goes from 0% to 100%.
    I had similar problem with my friends car some years ago and it was never solved. In there the pedal got to 168% and the throttle blade was fully open when pedal was only half way pushed. It caused transmission kickdown and all idle corrections to be very agressive.
    In my case with this tune the blade is not 100% open until the pedal is floored. So I'm thinking will I have similar problems?