Thread: new to tuning.... yes im a girl. trying to ask in the right places

Tuner in Training

new to tuning.... yes im a girl. trying to ask in the right places

I just swapped motors in my 2016 ram 1500. unlocked the pcm, and have the MPVI3 and credits to do what i need to. i have read my stock tune and saved it. am prepared to change the mds setting to disabled. new motor is the same but with a stock 6.4 cam. VVT non mds. other than the mds delete. what could i change to accomodate the change in cam size? would there be anyone willing to check my stock file and advise me on what would be beneficial to change to go along with the larger cam? i am taking courses , however i am not going to mess with anything freely by my own choice until i am confident in what i am doing. id say that could be a few months from now. but to start my truck off right id like to get a mild tune so that i can get the full beenfit from the upgrade i have installed. i will try to attach my stock pcm file.

i plan on added a few bolt ons every so often as time goes on. i RLY am dreaming on even supercharged. but that may be a while. Fooking expensive. damn near the soze of a HELOC loan lmfao.

***PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF MY FAITH IN HUMANITY, SURELY THERE IS SOME KIND HUMAN ON THIS FORUM WILLING TO THROW ME A BONE****
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lynnRoo; 11-27-2023 at 11:57 PM. Reason: TOCK FILE ADDED

Tuner in Training
    it is a stock 6.4 cam btw

i was only able to get the degree on the intake measured, which was around 285. which would be the lift of a stock 6.4. it was not advertised as a performace cam. just a stock truck 6.4 cam. so i did go in with the dial indicator to make sure and discern between the two.
    Last edited by lynnRoo; 11-28-2023 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnRoo View Post
    it is a stock 6.4 cam btw

i was only able to get the degree on the intake measured, which was around 285. which would be the lift of a stock 6.4. it was not advertised as a performace cam. just a stock truck 6.4 cam. so i did go in with the dial indicator to make sure and discern between the two.
    to clarify...5.7 motor with the 6.4 cam correct?
    Whats the part number for the cam, they made 2 that im aware of...one for the MDS version and the other for the Manual vehicles that cant run MDS

Potential Tuner
    Tune ignition timing and vvt for your cam. Happy tuning

Tuner in Training

stock 6.4 Truck file

since you mentioned that your using a 6.4 truck cam which i can assume is non mds here is a stock 6.4 ram truck file. this could point you in the right direction.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I did find the vvt tables for the 9degree offset. And THANK you for that madhouse!! Appreciate it.

U do have another question. Since this was pre installed prior to buying the swap motor. I haven't a clue if they degreed it. I know that it is timed right. And I checked lift with dial indicator to make sure it was actually a 6.4.... cuz. Trust issues lol. But the seller basically is done with communication I have asked about degreeing. So if it was set correctly does that mean it's been degreed? Or would I have to know for a fact from their mouth that it was degreed at .50?

If I do not have that answer as it stands. Is there a way I can find out without taking the heads off? We are on round five taking heads off and back on. Kind of tired of it and I'm not too sure if I can get my bf to go back out there with me to do it one more time to degree it.

Reason I ask is because if I offset that9 degrees. And it's not degreed as it sits. I am afraid of running into interference.

Tuner in Training
    No mds. Main purpose of buying it the way they had it was for the delete. My original motor was on its last leg. Leaky just too many issues to care about rebuilding. And the lifters collapsed. Stuck. Not sure which but it snapped my chain guide completely.

I did find the vvt tables for the 9degree offset. And THANK you for that madhouse!! Appreciate it.

U do have another question. Since this was pre installed prior to buying the swap motor. I haven't a clue if they degreed it. I know that it is timed right. And I checked lift with dial indicator to make sure it was actually a 6.4.... cuz. Trust issues lol. But the seller basically is done with communication I have asked about degreeing. So if it was set correctly does that mean it's been degreed? Or would I have to know for a fact from their mouth that it was degreed at .50?

If I do not have that answer as it stands. Is there a way I can find out without taking the heads off? We are on round five taking heads off and back on. Kind of tired of it and I'm not too sure if I can get my bf to go back out there with me to do it one more time to degree it.

Reason I ask is because if I offset that9 degrees. And it's not degreed as it sits. I am afraid of running into interference.
    If* it's a stock 6.4 cam then your fine, but you need to know what cam you have exactly...the problem lies in the cam profile and what it was designed for. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks about small little details...assuming you do have the 6.4 cam out of a truck 6.4 engine, then use the matching year/model file to get your cam settings. The cam on this setup does not need to be degreed, it's not a big cam, custom cam, or anything crazy, if the chain is timed properly...then your fine. You won't hit valves, worst case if your concerned about it spin the motor by hand and make sure there is no resistance, with spark plugs out so you can be sure, intake and exhaust off is better if you want to physically see it. point is...either take it apart entirely and get the part number off the cam, or trust what you've been told.

When you're copying over the settings you want ALL the cam tables copied over, timing tables can remain the same but may need modified after starting to get it to idle and run smooth...etc. You will also have to disable the Neural Network and tune VE tables, unless you know how to tune the Neural Network don't touch it, just disable it. With this cam the motor should start and idle fairly normally, so you'll need to log start up to operating temp and adjust cold start tables, idle spark, and a few other tables so it doesn't start to idle surge.

Advanced Tuner
    if the boyfriend knows how to degree a cam he could check both what it is and where it is at without pulling it back out
    Last edited by LilSick; 12-01-2023 at 11:51 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    if the boyfriend knows how to degree a cam he could check both what it is and where it is at without pulling it back out
    i can ask him. m ill post back.

Potential Tuner
    So I just did this swap with a molar 6.4 cam 5037379BC MDS delete 6.2 oil pump and tune. At start up it fires up but under a massive amount of load at around 60kpa at idle what can cause this besides a vacuum leak iv checked and replaced the map sensor.

Tuner
    What's wrong with 60 Kpa? Or is it just the massive amount of load at idle that you are concerned about?
    2016 Ram CCSB Forged NA 396ci Stroker
    +2.5cc Flat/Dome Mahle Power-Pak Forged Pistons w/13.2/1 CR on E85
    Forged Manley 4.05" Stroke Crank/Speed Master Valvetrain
    Race Ported Eagles/Titanium 2.12"/Titanium 1.62" Valves
    Custom Cam 235/249 .629/.629 111LSA 110ICL+1Adv
    Ported Holley Hi-Ram Intake/NXpress Hi-Ram NO2 Plate kit w/250 Shot(4 sec)
    Tx Spd 2" Long Tubes/Active Viper Hood/2-Step
    ATI SD w/15% UD/Dual 450 Pumps/Fuel Cell in Bed/Demon 700cc Inj
    3800 stall/Det Tru-Trac/410 Gears

Potential Tuner
    yeah isnt that alot of fuel being dumped shouldnt it read like 25-30 around there at idle

Advanced Tuner
    rather than muddy up someone else's thread with your own unrelated problem the respectful thing to do is create your own thread . )

Potential Tuner

Tuner in Training
    well he had to work today, so wouldn't of been done as far as taking a look to check the numbers. he did say that he doesn't feel like pissing with it anymore ugh. he got it running and thats all he promised LOL

i did however get myself a wideband sensor. just because im super interested in tuning and learning all i can. id own one eventually anyways. i got the obd2 AEM AFR kit. gotta find a good spot to install and weld the bung and go from there. I debated buying one for a couple weeks, but the way i look at it, every search i have done in relation to swapping camshafts/ messing with timing there have been multiple sources that advise installing a wideband. so that is what im doing. i guess this way as im adjusting things within my timing tables. i'll know if inching towards a dangerous zone.

Potential Tuner
    What courses are you taking? I'm a new "wanabe" tuner who is looking for more resources to learn. Thank you in advance. I hope you get your tune sorted out!

Tuner in Training
    ive been taking tuning courses on HP Academy.com theres really good coupons on google for them. really good stuff. def worht it

Tuner in Training
    If my knowledge is correct these hemi cams only need to be degreed when an aftermarket application is involved most the time they are pretty straight forward cams. if what i sent you helped and its running start the baby steps of tuning actually someone thats replied to this thread did a pretty in depth write up on tuning basics and principles. the person that did the write up was lil-sick.

Potential Tuner
    I just swapped motors in my 2016 ram 1500. unlocked the pcm, and have the MPVI3 and credits to do what i need to. i have read my stock tune and saved it. am prepared to change the mds setting to disabled. new motor is the same but with a stock 6.4 cam. VVT non mds. other than the mds delete. what could i change to accomodate the change in cam size? would there be anyone willing to check my stock file and advise me on what would be beneficial to change to go along with the larger cam? i am taking courses , however i am not going to mess with anything freely by my own choice until i am confident in what i am doing. id say that could be a few months from now. but to start my truck off right id like to get a mild tune so that i can get the full beenfit from the upgrade i have installed. i will try to attach my stock pcm file.

i plan on added a few bolt ons every so often as time goes on. i RLY am dreaming on even supercharged. but that may be a while. Fooking expensive. damn near the soze of a HELOC loan lmfao.

Embarking on a new journey to learn auto mechanics through a specialized course at Tuting has been an exciting and transformative experience. Recognizing the importance of acquiring hands-on skills in car maintenance, I decided to invest in myself by enrolling in this comprehensive program.
    Taking a loan that I found via this review https://triceloans.com/empower-app-review/ to fund my education at Tuting was a decision driven by my passion for automobiles and the desire to gain practical knowledge in a field I'm truly passionate about. While financing education through a loan may seem like a substantial commitment, I view it as an investment in my future. The skills and expertise I'm acquiring will not only open doors to new opportunities in the automotive industry but also contribute to my personal and professional growth.

***PLZ FOR THE LOVE OF MY FAITH IN HUMANITY, SURELY THERE IS SOME KIND HUMAN ON THIS FORUM WILLING TO THROW ME A BONE****
    Please, what courses are you doing right now? I am very interested in it because I am kind of new to tuning also
    Last edited by FaridElson; 01-31-2024 at 08:22 AM.