Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to tuning. Intake, manifold and throttlebody swap L 86 2016 Chevy Silverado.

Tuner in Training

New to tuning. Intake, manifold and throttlebody swap L 86 2016 Chevy Silverado.

Can somebody please help me navigate to HP tuners how to get my truck out of limp mode because of the new throttlebody

Tuning Addict
    Something wrong with the tb, wiring or ecm if it's going into REP because of a tb code. You sure it's not a pedal code?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    I did a L 86 intake and throttlebody swap and I’m getting a 2101 code
    And the truck ran fine before I did the swap. It just came off the Dyno last week.
    Last edited by Wmbland; 11-28-2023 at 04:07 PM.

Tuning Addict
    That's a motor control circuit code meaning the motor is unable to move the plate when commanded to do so. Most likely the tb, unless it's heavily carboned or you have ice or something like that formed freezing the plate in place. I've also seen tb cleaner get into the electronics via the throttle shaft cause this code but you can almost always blow air or take apart and clean out then let dry to get it back operational. Sounds like yours is dead in the water.

Other codes can set because of the tune, but that's only if the throttle is opening and dancing away from pedal command too much.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    That's a motor control circuit code meaning the motor is unable to move the plate when commanded to do so. Most likely the tb, unless it's heavily carboned or you have ice or something like that formed freezing the plate in place. I've also seen tb cleaner get into the electronics via the throttle shaft cause this code but you can almost always blow air or take apart and clean out then let dry to get it back operational. Sounds like yours is dead in the water.

Other codes can set because of the tune, but that's only if the throttle is opening and dancing away from pedal command too much.
    It is a brand new Katech 87 mm ported throttlebody could it possibly need a tune or is it something wrong with the throttlebody from the company that made it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wmbland View Post
    It is a brand new Katech 87 mm ported throttlebody could it possibly need a tune or is it something wrong with the throttlebody from the company that made it?
    Did they tell you it would be good to go in your specific application/ECM, OS, Pedal? If yes and everything worked before you got a defect. If not they should replace it with one that fits, form and function.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, they said it should work with no problem. I shouldn’t have to use HP tuners to fix it. They’re gonna send me another one and I have to send this one back. Thanks everyone for the help.

Tuner in Training
    well got my Silverado Tuned after the new throttle body. It worked for about a month till my alternator killed my battery. now idle surges in park. Had to replace both battery and alt. I did a data log and i am going to try and figure out how to put it on a post

Tuner in Training
    march 14 145 pm log.hpl hopefully this worked this is a log file from this afternoon. 2016 silverado stage 2 L83 tsp cam and a ported Katech 87 mm throttlebody , stainlessworks longtube headers flowmasert outlaw dual exhaust ,upgraded rocker arms and a L86 intake manifold

Tuning Addict
    How was the TB and intake manifold addressed in the tune? If whomever tuning it changed the tb size then it was most likely messed up. There are background settings that have to be changed for it too. Then unhooking the battery or rather killing it would have reset all of the learned values, so it might need the VE and torque model both corrected. You're not logging enough to tell anything, but I'm willing to bet all of your VE is off. I can your torque model is from your timing. Fuel is also pretty far off with it adding 10%, which again if the VE was right and things were good before the battery points to the VE and torque model being thrown off.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    I am going to get a better log here in a little bit gotta go to the store. I appreciate all your help. I have watched so many videos on how to do tuning it hours to learn just a little bit, but I’m willing to learn that’s for sure.

Tuning Addict
    Might want to post the tune too

Since you had a battery/charging system issue your first course of action would be to perform a throttle body/idle relearn.

Tuner in Training
    I Thought i should do that. I did a better data log last night with a different channel config.https://1drv.ms/u/c/dd206c9237979ed0...Y5Ecw?e=lyQDgT i hope this is rite. this is the tune.

Tuner in Training
    This is the data log.https://1drv.ms/u/c/dd206c9237979ed0...csiwg?e=YgfW3X
    again i hope this works. trying to remember computer stuff after not playing with them for at least 10 years .

Senior Tuner
    Most people are not going to follow a link for a log or tune. You would be better off if you attached a tune within a post.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. I have to figure out how to do that thank you I’m learning

Tuner in Training

Surging idle after battery killed by alt and possible bad tune

This is the data log
    march 15 surgeing idle.hpl

now that this worked i'll send the tune next

Tuner in Training
    This is the tune. tuned read march 13.hpt

Tuner in Training
    I thank everyone who is and will help me thru this process
    Last edited by Wmbland; 03-17-2024 at 09:05 AM. Reason: I think I said it wrong