Thread: 5.3 swap chopacobra cam, headers won't rev

Potential Tuner

5.3 swap chopacobra cam, headers won't rev

this is my first post on here and I am a total newbie to the tuning life. I swapped my s10 and now its time to tune. At this point I have just disabled vats and bumped up the idle 200 across the table. I'm sure I have MANY issues I have to deal with here but I have a goal to learn something here and I'm prepared to burn this truck down learning if that's what it takes lol.
    Anyways the issue I'm having is the truck will idle fine with the MAF plugged in but won't rev over 1/4 throttle, unplug the MAF and it won't idle but will rev just fine. If anybody would be willing to look over my file and give me some suggestions i would greatly appreciate your time.
    tune 2.hpt

Senior Tuner
    We will need to see a datalog to see what is going on with it, but here are a few things to help you get started.

Your OS is an early version that has two VE tables. I typically use the Enhanced Speed Density upgrade on those.
    It'll get you one high resolution VE table. You'll have to do a Write Entire once you do this upgrade.

Focus on dialing in the VE table first. In order to do this, disable the MAF. Just click on the MAF Freq fail high and type in 0.
    Then go to your DTC list and change P0101, 102 and 103 to MIL on First Error.
    Next, go to the Trans Diag section and disable the Max Line Pressure on all three MAF DTC's.

You'll need to remove a bit more fuel from the VE table below 2000 rpm. Looks like you've removed some, but you'll need to remove more. Start by removing another 20% fuel in the first two columns.

Go to the Idle Airflow table under the Base Running Airflow tab and add 5 g/s airflow across the entire table.

Click the Engine tab, then Torque Management, then Abuse and change the Drivetrain abuse to 7000 rpm.

Go to the System tab, then click General, then click on the System Options table. Find the Brake Torque management column, then change the "1" in that column to "0".

You typically have to open the throttle body just a bit by adjusting the torx screw or simply bending the minimal airflow tab. The goal is to get the IAC into its intended operating range...around 40-70 at idle.

Your 99 model also needs an injector upgrade before you increase the max shift rpm. Yours is a 1 year model only...21.8 lb/hr injectors.
    I've got a 99 model as well. I already had a mild cam upgrade when I bought it. On my chassis dyno, it picked up over 40 rwhp when I upgraded injectors and switched to e-fans!
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 11-29-2023 at 10:48 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the reply. I will run a data log tomorrow and upload. i have electric fans just not wired in yet (that is literally the last wiring I have to do tomorrow)

Potential Tuner
    For the life of me I can't find how to get to MAF Freq fail high to type in 0. Sorry for my ignorance

Tuner
    It's engine diagnostic>airflow>MAF frequency fail high, type in 0
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

Potential Tuner
    When I go to engine diagnostics the only option I have is DTCs

Senior Tuner
    Are you looking in advanced mode?

Potential Tuner
    Ah... I was not. Thank you for that!

Potential Tuner
    I apologize I didn't get a data log today yet. I will try to get it this evening. It actually idles and revs with your suggestion now which is amazing. It idles great cold but when it starts warming up it starts stumbling and hunting for idle. I will put my new tune on here if you would like to look it over.

Potential Tuner

new tune

Here is my new tune as of today. Don't know how to upgrade to speed density but I am researching it now, as well as learning ve table adjustmentmafdisable.hptmafdisable.hpt