Thread: Starting with L31 on 24x & 1x

Tuner in Training

Starting with L31 on 24x & 1x

Vehicle will be '99 S10 Blazer 4x4 with 4l60E
    Motor will be L31 crate with Comp Cams 08-411-8 and 1.5 roller rockers and S10- swap headers
    Initial mechanical will be factory style Vortec intake with upgraded spider and existing in-tank fuel pump for 4.3(upgrade if needed) + Vortec Dizzy/ 1x cam sensor
    0411/P01 PCM conversion - starting with '01-'02 Express Van 5.7 Tune

Before putting this motor in the vehicles though, I am going to do a 24x crank trigger install from EFI Connections. I will also add their timing cover mounted 1x cam sensor(will be redundant when I first get started).

I have studied the tune file, and the L31 is the only motor in the PCM file that uses the "Low Resolution Crank Sensor". It shows up as a number "1" which indicates 4x crank trigger.
    In the software though I can simply change it to a "0" like the rest - which I understand will then represent a 24x crank signal input into the PCM.
    The dizzy has the 1x cam sensor, which is good enough for now.
    Is there ANY reason this will not run? When I change the "1" to a "0" the cell turns red/pink instead of the GREEN that it was. Is this a WARNING? Does this represent something foul, or is it simply a visual indicator of a changed parameter?
    If I input 2, or 3 or something I do get a warning saying it is unrecognizable parameter.

The primary reason for the 24x crank trigger is the fact that I may later wish to upgrade this motor to individual coils, and I believe the 0411 PCM can fulfill this by using the coil drivers designed to run LS1 motors.
    I say later upgrade, as I am not ready to dive in that far just yet. However, when I do decide to go down that road, I don't want to tear the front off the motor in the Blazer (not super user-friendly to work on).

When I do decide to go individual coils, I will also transfer my 1x cam signal to the timing cover from the dizzy. Not necessary, but a potentially more stable signal? Again, if it's already there, I don't have to tear into anything again.

I may also later swap the intake to an Edelbrock Pro-flo, but it looks like a pretty straight forward swap, involving mainly an adapter harness, and some updated injector figures in the PCM (will still be cable throttle).

I want to enjoy the L31 for a while, so don't talk me into an LS LOL. Besides, I got a couple of them cheap.
    And I want to learn a bit of tuning, starting with the basic Vortec/spider Express Van calibration, and tinkering with the 4l60E settings that are already in the file, and match my Blazer.

Later I would like to modernise the L31 a little bit with the Pro-flo and individual coils without taking any huge steps backwards.
    Anything I remove can be used on another project.

It has taken a bit of reading, studying, following, trolling, etc to think I can start with the 24x crank trigger in the L31.
    If you are a knowledgeable tuner and have specific experience using the "Low" and "High" crank sensor resolution settings and can give some real world knowledge or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    If the cell turning red/pink means the input is "not accepted" and won't work at all, I kinda need to know that now if anyone is 100% certain.

If nobody says anything, I'll just go for it and learn the hard way. I will still have my 4x wheel and can put it back in the motor, and I can stick with the dizzy ignition forever if needed.
    I already see some MSD solutions that will allow for the multiple coils, but that requires more electronics, and would also involve meshing the systems (probably more headaches).
    The 0411 swap on this vehicle is pretty well documented, and not a huge task, and should allow me to run old tech as well as slightly newer tech.

I have recently downloaded the HP VCM suite and watched a few tutorials. It looks like a great setup and fairly user friendly. Having the ability to open and browse a few tune files prior to purchase is a big bonus!
    Anyway, thanks for the forum, and thanks for letting me troll and query a bit. If I make this thing go, I will try to share any pertinent details so the next old school guy can put dinosaur tech in his dinosaur car and try to have fun

1/0 in the System Options table is simply 'yes' and 'no'. Binary. There is no 2 or 3 in binary.

The color changes to red simply to show that there is an unsaved change, like every other item in the tune file when you change something. Save the file (or save with new name) and the color change will be gone.

Tuner in Training
    Sweet! Thanks for the reply mate.