Thread: 2016 ford fusion idle issues

Tuner in Training

2016 ford fusion idle issues

hi my name is Jeremy . im very new to tuning . i changed the head gasket on a 2016 ford fusion 2.0l ecoboost . took .003 in off head . installed new head gasket set. the head gasket was a updated part no. from the 2019+ ford 2.0l the only head gasket option i could find. ford was telling me they updated the head gasket on those to be the same as the 2019+ 2.0l . now this thing cant idle properly when warmed up it drops to 500 rpm then spikes up to 1,000 rpm. then levels off at 750 rpm for a bit then starts all over again. cant find anything wrong . cam timing tools used. no dtc,s i did a compression test and its running around 190. psi on all cylinders. that seems to be to high from what i am finding out. the spark advance data pid runs wild on idle +- 30 deg. idle smooths out some when i take control of spark advance with scanner. the fuel trims run +20 on idle and stay that way till it has boost then they drop down to 0 or - a bit. no vacumn leaks no exhaust leaks . i am at lost here and am wondering if this issue could get tuned. not sure exactly whats causing this idle issue but it idles nicer with upstream 02 sensor unplugged.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    the fuel trims run +20 on idle
    Its either lean (and adding fuel) or the ECU thinks it is lean and adding fuel. Check again for vacuum leaks. Check again for exhaust leaks. Both will make the engine run lean or make the ECU think that it is lean. Based on the description of your modifications, this is likely a mechanical issue and nothing to do with the OEM tune.

You cannot, or at least should not, tune out a mechanical issue.

Tuner in Training
    I have tryed and tryed to find a exhaust and intake leak and cant find anything wrong. i have not been able to find a replacement head gasket that is the same as the one they but in it from the factory floor. my therory is the head gaskets from 2019+ 2.0l that ford switch to is thinner than the oe gasket and causing the higher compression that the ecm isnt programed for. one other thing i noticed is the map pressure runs lower on a idle than other 2.0l ecoboost as well as commanded and actual throttle control is lower than usual. which to me means the ecm is trying to allow less air into cylinders cause its not liking what it sees from o2 sensors. i replaced o2 sensor with a oem from ford and no difference. is there any air fuel ratio adjustment or idle spark adjustment i could do to get this thing to smooth out a bit ? it idles prefect till it warms up. i seen on the 2.7l ecoboost i can adjust the temp that it switches from cold idle to warm idle . i can find any paramaters like that on the 2.0l ecoboost.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-05-2023 at 10:23 AM.

Tuner
    is it on the stock tune?

Tuner in Training
    its on the stock tune. i just fixed the idle issue this weekend and didnt need any tuning. adaycj was right. it was a mechanical issue. i feel stupid i used the wrong timing peg for setting the crank and had the crank retarded. ford has a timing peg they use on the older 2.0l and 2.5l engines and thats the peg i used initially and no brainer it was not idling nice. used the correct timing peg and it runs beautiful. the pcm thought it was in time cause the crankpulley was set correctly and the sensor runs off of crank pulley. with the timing retarded it makes sense why the compression was higher on cranking. the car had tons of torque on the bottom end before,but lost power on top end now it spools up way better on higher rpm.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    hi my name is Jeremy . im very new to tuning . i changed the head gasket on a 2016 ford fusion 2.0l ecoboost . took .003 in off head . installed new head gasket set. the head gasket was a updated part no. from the 2019+ ford 2.0l the only head gasket option i could find. ford was telling me they updated the head gasket on those to be the same as the 2019+ 2.0l . now this thing cant idle properly when warmed up it drops to 500 rpm then spikes up to 1,000 rpm. then levels off at 750 rpm for a bit then starts all over again. cant find anything wrong . cam timing tools used. no dtc,s i did a compression test and its running around 190. psi on all cylinders. that seems to be to high from what i am finding out. the spark advance data pid runs wild on idle +- 30 deg. idle smooths out some when i take control of spark advance with scanner. the fuel trims run +20 on idle and stay that way till it has boost then they drop down to 0 or - a bit. no vacumn leaks no exhaust leaks . i am at lost here and am wondering if this issue could get tuned. not sure exactly whats causing this idle issue but it idles nicer with upstream 02 sensor unplugged.
    I have a 2014 Ecoboost Fusion, which should have the same block/head as your 2016, similar to the 2.0 ST block.
    In 2017, ford went to a 2.0 (TS) design similar to the ecoboost 2.3 with Twin Scroll turbocharger.
    You may want to confirm that your problem isn't mechanical, due to a head gasket fitment issue.