Thread: OS, Credits, 24x, segment swapping and custom OS

Tuner in Training

OS, Credits, 24x, segment swapping and custom OS

Still a noob here, so blast me if needed. Trying to get my head fully wrapped around all this before I pull the trigger and go postal LOL.

My first project - an L31 swap into a '99 S-10 Blazer. I want to run Dizzy ignition at first, but later upgrade to LS coil setup.
    I have stock black box, '99 Tahoe black box, and 0411 from '01-'02 Sierra/Van/something??

My understanding of OPERATING SYSTEM is the set of variables, controls, sensors and pinouts relative to a certain year and model vehicle(or series of vehicles) ????
    I did see that you do not identify the OS by clicking on the "OS" icon in the software. That took me a bit of reading LOL

To run the Express Van tune would be pretty straight forward(in the 0411 PCM) - and I THINK I can have the 24x reluctor installed and simply set the "Resolution" crank input to ZERO for High res (24x) and run the dizzy ignition for now. Please correct me if I'm blatantly wrong here. The OS's I'm looking at appear to be adjustable in this respect, because some controlled 4x L31s, and some controlled LS motors.

As the LS ignition requires substantially different outputs for ignition, there is a considerably different pinout for this - thus making it a different OPERATING SYSTEM - correct? In fact, the LS1 operating system has numerous inputs that may be different, more potentially different outputs, and other variables not shared by the Express Van typical OS. Am I on the right track here??

I looked into Segment Swapping and I see stern warnings about different operating systems. This makes sense, as two systems may have overlapping pinouts or parameters. I didn't see an "Ignition control" only segment anyway.
    So when I decide to go to LS1 ignition coil setup on the L31, I would shop for the most compatible complete LS1 OPERATING SYSTEM ? - Correct? Something with similar variables, sensors, transmission(4l60E), etc.....
    Then I could licence that OS, leave the Crank signal on High Resolution since I already have the 24x reluctor installed and tune from there?? - still on the right track?
    If I was previously successful with tuning the fuel settings, could I segment swap THOSE into the new OS? Or just copy and paste VE tables from the previous tune to the new blank tune? Or just start with a base LS tune and have to tweak it all over? (more learning)

Or.................... can HPT create a CUSTOM OPERATING SYSTEM that utilises all my first set of tuning variables, sensors and pinouts EXCEPT the ignition control - trading that part for LS1 control and pins?
    Or even better yet....... can a custom OS be made to allow for "EITHER DIZZY OR COIL ON PLUG" ?? Are the enough unused pins in the 0411? <--THIS definitely sounds like a stretch LOL

Lastly, still trying to understand credits.... if my first choice is the 0411 PCM, with basic Express Van OS and tune(if I can turn the crank resolution to high and use my 24x wheel), is that only 2 credits for the '98-2005 Blazer/0411 combination?

If I later choose to put an LS1 operating system in it(the 0411), that's another 2 credits to change OS, even though still same PCM and same vehicle (same VIN) ?? Or not??

Or if I can get HPT to write the custom OS that uses my original parameters plus the LS1 ignition - THAT would be 2 more credits, correct??

I am not scared of buying the credits, and I and not scared to do the 8 coil setup first, but I do want to get a running vehicle, and a chance to learn more about tuning before the next level of changes.

Blast me while you can Any input, flaming, direction, warnings, or enuendo are greatly appreciated.

See you on the dark side!

Potential Tuner
    Did you get this running? I converted a 2003 GMC Sonoma to a 5.7 5 years ago. I ended up using the express van cal and the 2002 PCM to get it to work. I can give you insight on what is needed to make this work. The options for running the 5.7 are limited in software since it was being phased out at the time. I am considering doing the full 24x conversion to be able to run the P59 PCM that was originally installed in my truck.