Thread: Seeking Advice on E41 ECM Upgrade Kit for 2018 L5P

Seeking Advice on E41 ECM Upgrade Kit for 2018 L5P

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for guidance regarding the E41 ECM Upgrade Kit for my 2018 L5P. I've done some research on this forum, reviewed the provided instructions, and read articles from HPTuners support. I'm hoping someone here has experience with this upgrade and can help me confirm if I'm on the right track. My main concern is ensuring I don't make mistakes that could result in needing additional credits or losing the stock tune file.

I have not made any modifications to the ECU or any parts yet. I purchased the E41 ECM Upgrade Kit, MPVI3, and 8 credits required for my truck directly from HPTuners.

I have a few questions:
    1. Once the credits are used to license the vehicle and write the tune file, is the license then locked to the VIN and tune file?
    2. As long as I'm editing and writing the licensed tune file, can I do so multiple times without needing more credits?
    3. If I ever want or need to write a different tune file, I'll need to purchase 8 more credits?
    4. Are these steps correct?
      1. Save the stock file immediately upon opening it. Click on save-as, name it something like "mystocktune.hpt", and keep a backup elsewhere.
      2. After saving, close the newly created file "mystocktune.hpt."
      3. Open and edit the original file and write it to the ECU.

5. Should the tune be completed before any parts are touched?

GM E41 ECM Upgrade Kit Instructions I'm following are available here: https://files.hptuners.com/pub/E41-U...s-final-v3.pdf

I'd appreciate any insights or advice from those experienced with this process.

Thanks!

Once you license the vehicle you can tune as many times as you want. No more credits are needed for that specific VIN on that truck.

Unsure on what you mean by completing the tune unless your meaning before you install new parts.

If so you install parts and tune accordingly to adjust for your new parts.

And your process to save the stock file is correct l, just keep it in a safe location.

Copy it and paste it somewhere to (I save it to a usb drive and store it somewhere)

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed to know.

For completing the tune, you are correct. Just wanted to know if it's better to adjust the tune for the new parts, and write the tune prior to installing the new parts.

I always install parts and adjust tune. You get real world results instead of guessing.

You can Pm me if you want and I can help further