Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have to start over - Write Entire is SCARY!

I have to start over - Write Entire is SCARY!

Sorry for the long story but I need to put my OEM OS back into the PCM. Below are some details if you are bored and want to look....

My Question?

How do I get an OEM file back into the PCM? Do I Write (Entire) my modded file I got from a Mail Order tuner? Then Write (cal) the data from a stock file from the repository? Or is there a better, smarter, safer way to get it back. That is the direction I need to go ? a complete Do-Over.
    Thanks for any insight here. It?s now winter in PA so I have a little time before I get to drive it again. I hate to put it to bed without it being ?right? but I have a LOT of plans for other work on the car. Look for it at Woodward in ?24. ;+)

The Project

Late 03 Z06, LSA Blower, Phenolic Rect to Cath port adapters (OKW), P01 (411) PCM, ECS stage 1 Fuel pump plumbed like UPP does it (Regulator, feed into Schrader port, ECS Bulkhead fitting for return to Dr Side tank), Deka 60 Shorties, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Long Tubes, All the Fix?ns, Stock Bottom End.

Beginning?

I sent the PCM to a well-known Supercharger Company on the East Coast. When I got it back the car would not start. Went Round & Round with them, Did not end well. I did not have HPT at that time ? now I do. They never gave me a copy of my OEM tune file. I do have a copy of what they did & It appears that it is just a Modded Stock file. I can see all the OS choices and HPT recognizes it as MY licensed credits. That OS is 12593358 and I have it licensed with HPT

Middle?

I hooked up with a pretty sharp guy that knows what he?s doing to tune it. I?m in PA ? He?s in OR. He sends data, I load and log, he tweaks it ? rinse & repeat. It was starting to run pretty good. THEN? He figured he had the wrong injector data in the file and swapped it out with the new, Banish approved file. I cannot say enough NICE about Bob at FIC (Connection). HE sent the latest file for the Deka 60?s. Once that was loaded the thing turned to pure Crap. Some think it?s the Adapters causing problems but old tunes worked better than ?new? ones. The current OS is a custom 3 BAR SD that replaced the OEM once we got started tuning for boost. That OS is 1263016.

Now?

I was asked by a Pro Tuner that FIC hooked me up with to put a stock file back in and start over. This guy is the Real Deal and I will do what he says.
    When I look at the read / write icon for the repository file it invites me to but a license for it. I'm not sure I can even copy the guts to my Modded File. The Mail order guy made LOTS of changes according to a compare of the 2. How do I merge them and not get a brick??

Thanks again - sorry to be so wordy. It's a curse.
    Here's 2 pics of the project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The file(s) you have these questions about would help a whole bunch more than some glamour photos.

Thanks for the reply - You're probably right.
    The file called 'Is_This_MY_OEM...' is NOT my OEM file - it is the Mail Order tune. BUT the OS wasn't changed - I assume that is a GOOD thing? The other is right from the Repository (the NEW version of it - all stock stuff)
    The photos are far from glamorous - but the car is cool. I just want it to run and not blow up.
    Thanks again. I've read a lot of your advice - glad you showed up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think you need to talk to your tuner, before I get all into how this is going to work with it still being a 1-bar OS. Something's getting left out somewhere and adding a third person into the mix probably isn't going to help.

Senior Tuner
    The 'Is_This-My_OEM_Tune' is the original. There are no OS's applied. That can be seen at Tune Details. It's not a stock configuration, though. Someone had modified it. That can be seen by running a compare of a 2003 Corvette M6, as well as the smoothing applied to the spark tables.

If you want, you can run a compare between the two and manually copy everything that shows up different. That'll do it.

Won't run very well at all with Deka 60's on a stock tune. It's not going to hurt putting that data in, but whatever this Pro wants I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I think you need to talk to your tuner, before I get all into how this is going to work with it still being a 1-bar OS. Something's getting left out somewhere and adding a third person into the mix probably isn't going to help.
    Thanks for that. It is currently a 3BAR SD custom OS from HPT. The 1BAR has been over written. The suggestion was to start over from a clean sheet - the 1Bar OEM and work from there. It will need to be a 3BAR when all said and done. There are just too many tables that got 'touched' to keep hunting for the reason it won't behave.

I tried to simplify the history to make it readable - but there's a lot of work been put into this - and it was running OK - till the Injector data was changed.
    My Current tuner is a sharp guy and I trust him. He's just not sure why it is so inconsistent. His guess is that the fuel from the injector may be hitting the wall of the adapter plate and is no longer a mist. Some have issues tuning around those plates - some don't mind them at all.

What I'm looking for is the RIGHT way to get back to MY 1BAR (which I do have - just modified) and THEN put the Stock data back in it - WITHOUT buying more credits for the repository version and changing the VIN. I assume the Repository File IS real & unmolested? How can I be 100% sure?
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    The 'Is_This-My_OEM_Tune' is the original. There are no OS's applied. That can be seen at Tune Details. It's not a stock configuration, though. Someone had modified it. That can be seen by running a compare of a 2003 Corvette M6, as well as the smoothing applied to the spark tables.

If you want, you can run a compare between the two and manually copy everything that shows up different. That'll do it.

Won't run very well at all with Deka 60's on a stock tune. It's not going to hurt putting that data in, but whatever this Pro wants I guess.
    Thank you Sirius - I did the compare and A LOT OF tables & values changed. Is THAT the correct way? Copy / past each one THEN write entire? a TON of work but do-able.
    The inconsistency is what is driving my current guy crazy. HE had me write entire recently and it failed - thought it got bricked. His trick was to remove Neg Batt Terminal and hold it to the Pos term for a minute. BINGO! The PCM woke up and I finished the job. Got very lucky! I don't want to rely on that working every time If I brick it again.
    Hence the title - I'm scared!!
    Thanks to anyone that cares to chime in.

Advanced Tuner
    Jumbo... just to confirm, what you are looking for is an HPT tune file that is licensed to your vin/serial and 100% stock? To use as a starting point for a new tune file?

I did a "copy all" from a known good stock 2003 Z06 file to yours, and the CVNs don't match, which means there are other tables/values that are not visible to HPT that are modified.

Advanced Tuner
    Assuming that's what you needed, I made a 100% stock file for your VIN/serial number. I verified the CVN for each segment matches what's in TIS so I'm very confident this is 100% stock. Even that file you pulled from the repository had 1 table different than stock (ha)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi AaronC - THANK YOU for doing that.

Your first post is correct. That is what I'm looking for.

What are CVN's?

Your 2nd post... How did you do that? Make a file for MY VIN without buying the credits? I will look at it later today. And My assumption that the repository might not be all that real - guess I was right? I'll compare what you sent to the repository file to see what that 1 table was. Not surprised though.

I would think that HPT doesn't confirm every submission and they just trust the person that posted it to be what they claim.

I read an old post about this and Bill from HPT said to put it back to stock with a Tech2 and move along. Is that why you mentioned the TIS system?

Thanks again for the help!!

Advanced Tuner
    CVN Calibration Verification Number. Similar to the checksum. CVN is how CARB and EPA and others are checking tune file emissions compliance to ensure you're not running a modified tune file to potentially cheat emissions.

I also have a good stock tune file in bin format. So I just edited the file for your VIN and SN and ran it thru the HPT tune translator service which converts it to a HPT file. Free for LS1 PCMs.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    CVN Calibration Verification Number. Similar to the checksum. CVN is how CARB and EPA and others are checking tune file emissions compliance to ensure you're not running a modified tune file to potentially cheat emissions.

I also have a good stock tune file in bin format. So I just edited the file for your VIN and SN and ran it thru the HPT tune translator service which converts it to a HPT file. Free for LS1 PCMs.
    VERY COOL! I did not know that service existed. I have a LOT to learn - but I like it.
    Just got home from work - all my kids are coming home for Christmas. It will be a bit crazy but I'll try to find time to F with this all. I think I'm headed in the right direction though.

My wife bought me a Banish book for Christmas but won't let me have it yet.

Some of the online training stuff is WAY over my head. I just keep reading and watching everything I can. One of these days a light bulb WILL light up and I'll be a little closer to feeling comfortable doing things on my own. Right now, I'm just scared that I'll end up like Mr Black's first engine (I know you follow his build - mine is similar - you've helped a LOT of people on the CF!)

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboShrimp View Post
    VERY COOL! I did not know that service existed. I have a LOT to learn - but I like it.
    Just got home from work - all my kids are coming home for Christmas. It will be a bit crazy but I'll try to find time to F with this all. I think I'm headed in the right direction though.

My wife bought me a Banish book for Christmas but won't let me have it yet.

Some of the online training stuff is WAY over my head. I just keep reading and watching everything I can. One of these days a light bulb WILL light up and I'll be a little closer to feeling comfortable doing things on my own. Right now, I'm just scared that I'll end up like Mr Black's first engine (I know you follow his build - mine is similar - you've helped a LOT of people on the CF!)

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.!

No worries, happy to help. I think it's a little silly you can't take any file and flash it to your given-- assuming you've paid for the license for your PCM serial number. At least the workarounds aren't too difficult. Merry Christmas!

I looked at YOUR 'Stock_JumboShrimp..' vs the 2 'stock' files on the HPT repository. Both had 1 table different than your version. One dealt with fuel tank level and the other was Target Idle speed Vs ECT. Neither one seems like it would make / break the tune - right?

So, Your Stock_Jumbo tune is Bone Stock - day it was born 20 years ago? If I need to load it and start all over that's the one to go with? I just want to be 100% sure on this.

I'm gonna leave both the guys helping alone till after Christmas but I DO want to be ready for whatever I need to do.

Thanks again for creating that - SUPER cool that you helped to that extent!

Advanced Tuner
    I can confidently say the file I posted is 100% stock-- start with that file, if you're going to "start from scratch" with a known good file.

The byte order is swapped for whatever reason in HPT software "9C 62" vs "62 9C", but I went thru every single segment and confirmed it matched with stock calibration.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Aaron, I'm the tuner.
    I downloaded the file you created, and I can edit it no problem.

FWIW, the original incorrect injector data has been in this car all summer. When I tried the updated data, the fueling went to shit. The two sets of injectors he has had were very similar except for the Volts/VAC table data.
    When he switched injectors last winter, I did send a tune with that data in, but it never got written to the car. When we resumed this last spring, I had him read the tune in the car, but I failed to check the data. My bad.

I've tuned lots of cars, mainly NA and Turbo cars. The only two cars that have given me fits are both C5's with adapter plated LSA blowers. The other car (Mr Blacks) blew up, and after he switched to a 408 with square port heads, it became simple.
    It's my belief that when using non stock LSA injectors (which have an angled spray pattern) that the injectors are spraying on the adapter plates, not into the port and this creates all sorts of fuel puddling issues.

Ron
    Y2K C5 A4 Coupe (10.78 @ 127) Cathedral port 6.2
    S476 L33 5.3 69 Nova 8.76 @ 158 Drive to the track street race car
    06 Cobalt SS bought new

The LSA injectors are the only ones that have the angled pattern. The combo of adapter plates and real LSA injectors is what causes the most headaches, it's usually better with non-LSA injectors.

12598646.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Since I'm not hands on with his car, I don't know how those clock in the manifold base.
    What I saw after finding good photos of the manifold and the injector location is that they are located to the rearward side of the port. Right above the adapter.
    Last edited by RonSSnova; 12-24-2023 at 08:17 PM.

Sorry for the delay - Christmas and all my kids are home.

Thanks for that Pic BlindSquirrel. Bob and FIC told me that because the LSA injector does have that angled spray (~4-5 degrees) it is the best choice for people running an adapter plate. You say the opposite. Can you educate me a bit here??

He told me they are 'clock-able'. I can't tell from the pic where the white line would be aiming... Toward the valve or toward the wall. Looks like it would point toward the header - that's better than straight down.

I had other injectors prior to this but they couldn't be clipped in. One of them spun a little somehow and I developed a VERY dangerous leak. That's how I ended up with the Deka 60's and new data. FIC (connection) traded me Even Steven - GREAT SERVICE form those guys!!

If I could aim them AND lock them Then the LSA seems like a winner.

I will be pulling the Blower lid and putting a camera into the runner just to see where it currently sits / aims. If I can't tell from that I'll have to pull the whole blower and look at the bottom with the plate lined up.

Thanks again for all the interest in my OddBall combo here.

'better than straight down' - no, that angle sprays directly onto the upper right corner of the adapter plate. 'straight down' has a better chance of making it into the port without hitting.