Thread: Are the HP Tuners Scanner channels available to any OBD2/CANBUS device?

Tuner in Training

Are the HP Tuners Scanner channels available to any OBD2/CANBUS device?

I'm a little confused about what's available on the CANBUS pins on the OBD2 connector. In my case it's a E39A ECU running a GM LFX engine. I want to run a digital dashboard like a Haltech IC7 or AEM CD7, etc. Most dashes offer an "OBD/CANBUS" option that just plugs into the OBD2 port. Can these devices see all of the channels that I can see/find in VCM Suit Scanner or does HP Tuners have some secret sauce allowing more functionality? Are they monitoring the ECU's canbus directly or would they be polling for OBDII PIDs?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeclaypool View Post

1. You should be able to connect and scan any vehicle on the HP Tuners supported vehicles list: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ODBII-vehicles. The channels received through the OBD-II port are at the top of the list (all groups except External Inputs).

2. Most digital dashboards offer an ?OBD/CANBUS? option that just plugs into the OBD2 port, but the channels that they can display may be limited compared to what you can see/find in VCM Suite Scanner.

3. HP Tuners interfaces are capable of collecting data from the vehicle?s OBD-II diagnostics port, but they are not monitoring the ECU?s CANbus directly. They are polling for OBDII PIDs.
    Hmm, if HP Tuners is just polling OBDII PIDs, isn't that the same that a digital dashboard connects via OBDII is doing? I guess HP Tuners just knows more unique or specific PIDs to poll for?

Senior Tuner
    It's a question you need to ask the dash board vendor of your choosing. Some will only support the standard obd PIDs whilst others will support far more. FYI HP tuners aren't doing anything 'special'. Power tune list can bus support for GM. Might be worth flicking them a message to see if your set up is supported. Good luck.

Coming in a little late in the game but I saw this and it made me chuckle. "does HP Tuners have some secret sauce allowing more functionality?"
    HP tuners is only slightly better in terms of the scanner on what can be done with a low level stand alone scan tool. Not a cheapy scan tool but a low level $500 to $700 scanner. You would be floored to see what data I get from GDS2 and the MDI2 module.