Thread: segment swap

segment swap

So what do you do when you can't segment swap your pcm? I have a 2000 P01 ecm with a 1251014 OS. I'm pretty sure that OS never had a 4l80E trans. the OS i have is for a 4L60E trans I've put in a 4L80E in the car and need to control it. The PCM I have is for a tuned the 5.7 E85 twin turbocharged 4l60E combo. I don't want to change the tune in the engine because i spent a lot of money on the dyno to get it right. I really don't want change anything but the trans tune in the PCM. so what are my options?

What is the stock OS in the file, before the custom OS got applied? If you'd posted the damn file I wouldn't have to ask this.

If you do have to go to a different base OS, copying the current state of your tuned file into a stock one takes about 5 minutes. Open current file, open new file as 'Compare', 'View Differences', 'Copy all...' etc.

There's always this: https://www.pcmofnc.com/product/pcm-...rsion-harness/

Tuning Addict
    Unless I'm wrong I've only ever found one way to do what you're after and it requires licensing 3 different times.

Basically you have to write the 4l80 as write entire from a different vin on it's own. In other words only write the transmission part. Then read that back out and re-license it all over again with the current engine and new 4l80 OS. Don't know on that particular ECM. Last one I did this to was an 07 model and I'm pretty sure it was using a separate tcm.

Then like Blind Pointed out there's always the different tcm already flashed option.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    we advise AGAINST performing a segment swap to a custom operating system

The steps we do advise is
    Open stock file
    segment swap
    apply custom operating system
    profit
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I think he was pondering the option of going to a different stock OS that had 4L80 segments available (or was already set up for 80E).

Potential Tuner
    Lifes hard! Only 2 Corvettes, How do u survive one wonders! God bless!

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike ppv View Post
    Lifes hard! Only 2 Corvettes, How do u survive one wonders! God bless!
    None of the cars in my sig are mine. They're customer cars that I was proud of. The second one wound up having the rings kiss and pop the top ring lands after he had made it a whole lot richer than how I had it. Was disappointed about that, but you can't help everything. Personally I own a truck and a jeep. Nothing impressive Will eventually change it, but for now I'll leave it.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Too-rich can pop the top ring land even when there's plenty of end gap, almost always happens right near the intake valve location. I have experience with that from '90s Super Street nitrous stuff.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Too-rich can pop the top ring land even when there's plenty of end gap, almost always happens right near the intake valve location. I have experience with that from '90s Super Street nitrous stuff.
    Yes, a lot of people don't know that. Fuel gets in the upper ring land and ignites on the power stroke then bad things happen :/ That car was one I tuned about 8 yrs ago I guess. I remember he was adjusting the MAF cause it changed at his altitude and his didn't have the baro kill 2bar OS option and he had it really rich going the wrong way with things. Sucked cause he was wanting to race it in the street outlaws show and it blew right before tryouts.

~Greg Huggins~

What is the stock OS in the file, before the custom OS got applied? If you'd posted the damn file I wouldn't have to ask this.

If you do have to go to a different base OS, copying the current state of your tuned file into a stock one takes about 5 minutes. Open current file, open new file as 'Compare', 'View Differences', 'Copy all...' etc.

I do not have the stock OS. when i bought the car it was tuned. just trying to work with what i have. I'll just Buy a truck base pcm change the My tune onto it. It looks like that's my cheapest option The pcm i have is for a Ls1 with a 4l60E and I'm pretty sure there are no Ls1 OS that came with a 4L80E. Here is my tune file but I think the way you said to do it is the only way.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Whether an 80E OS exists or not, you're looking for a match to the wrong number. You have to match the original number it was before, not what it is now. Segment swap will work even with the custom OS in place if you can find one with 12221588.

screenshot.29-12-2023 14.01.05.png

Whether an 80E OS exists or not, you're looking for a match to the wrong number. You have to match the original number it was before, not what it is now. Segment swap will work even with the custom OS in place if you can find one with 12221588.

screenshot.29-12-2023 14.01.05.png
    Thanks for the info I will try and find my original OS in the repository. Is there another place to look for stock tunes?

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?49669

Someone was able to do it, the files got lost in a forum upgrade though.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Yes, a lot of people don't know that. Fuel gets in the upper ring land and ignites on the power stroke then bad things happen :/ That car was one I tuned about 8 yrs ago I guess. I remember he was adjusting the MAF cause it changed at his altitude and his didn't have the baro kill 2bar OS option and he had it really rich going the wrong way with things. Sucked cause he was wanting to race it in the street outlaws show and it blew right before tryouts.
    I deal with that on Detroit Diesels I also work on. Common on a version of a 6V92 motor. Has HUGE injectors and it is called "Wet Stacking". DD created an exhaust valve like the early EFE valves on gas engines of the 80's. Keeps some of the exhaust gas in the chamber to reduce this effect. I suggested it on this but the "Government" engineers said no. Oh well. Job security.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    I deal with that on Detroit Diesels I also work on. Common on a version of a 6V92 motor. Has HUGE injectors and it is called "Wet Stacking". DD created an exhaust valve like the early EFE valves on gas engines of the 80's. Keeps some of the exhaust gas in the chamber to reduce this effect. I suggested it on this but the "Government" engineers said no. Oh well. Job security.
    Gov said no to "EGR" essentially Go figure. You should see some of the gov vehicles I tune from time to time. No emissions whatsoever. They even purchase them and have them shipped from overseas so they show up with no torque management or base emissions. Then the converters get yanked, tuned and shipped.

I did not know diesels had the fuel problem though. Always thought the fuel was focused in the bowl making that hard to do? I assume an earlier non bowl piston?

~Greg Huggins~

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?49669

Someone was able to do it, the files got lost in a forum upgrade though.
    Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    These things are literally from the 70's.
    Here is a 92 I put together, dyno'd and is going back in a crash crane.

Attachment 141345
    No offence But what does this have to do with a transmission segment swap Question

Senior Tuner

thank you!
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by gearheadib View Post
    No offence But what does this have to do with a transmission segment swap Question
    You are right. Just responding to a previous post. I'll remove it.