Thread: Read existing Tune

Read existing Tune

Hello!
    I recently (7 days ago) purchased a 2017 Silverado duramax. I do not know much about these trucks, as I learned after purchasing it that it had been deleted when my friends looked at the truck. My intent with this vehicle was to pull a fifth wheel camper. It was suggested to me that I should learn what the existing tune was on the ECU before towing.

Are there any good ways to read an existing tune to make sure I'm not going to blow up the engine?
    I have no desire for more power or black smoke. I just want to tow the camper reliably and with good fuel efficiency if possible.

For learning purposes you could read the existing. But without the proper knowledge you could run into some issues.

The emissions will be one of them. There are certain things you can?t see and if you flash a factory file back on it the wrong way you could go into limp mode.

As for making power for towing/reliability.. you could take the file and compare it to a known stock file of that OS and copy/pasted or do a HTT to transfer more quickly.

As I tell anyone who gets into this there is no dumb questions and little by little (changes) goes a long way. You get a feel for what your doing but it take longer.

LOG LOG LOG all of your drives while your tuning it. You see what?s happening at that given point and time and you will be able to adjust more easily.

If you need help shoot me a PM.

He likely needs some help in this department, hence sending him here to post (figured you'd see it). he just wants a reliable tow vehicle but isn't verse in these trucks or tuning at all. Sucks not reading these ECU's as it may be completely fine, but he's got no history on it. Logging you'd get a good idea what is in there and if its safe, but he's never used HPT ( i assume)
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

I certainly don't have the proper knowledge. I know that physical equipment has been removed so I don't think that flashing a factory tune would be good.

What equipment would be required to read the existing tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Stroked06Goat View Post
    He likely needs some help in this department, hence sending him here to post (figured you'd see it). he just wants a reliable tow vehicle but isn't verse in these trucks or tuning at all. Sucks not reading these ECU's as it may be completely fine, but he's got no history on it. Logging you'd get a good idea what is in there and if its safe, but he's never used HPT ( i assume)
    Yeah, I've never used HPT before. Don't really know anything about it. Nailed that point though - I really only want a reliable tow vehicle.