Thread: stock motor swap issues

Tuner in Training

stock motor swap issues

I'm new to hp tuners and engine swaps, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I swapped a 2002 l59 into my truck and it is not running well(ran perfect before swap), all stock including 4l60, I turned off vats and rear 02.
    I seem to be having a fuel issue on bank 1, no codes lftb1 stays at 25%.
    reading up right now and going to check fuel pressure. any suggestions are appreciated.

diving deeper into vcm scanner I'm pretty sure it's the 02 sensor on bank 1.
    Last edited by JReese; 12-29-2023 at 08:08 PM.

Do you have the coil pack harness on bank 1 plugged in? Your o2 sensor appears to be working, and the massive fuel trims you are showing are beyond what you would get from just 1 dead cylinder or even a huge air leak in the exhaust.

Tuner in Training
    The coil harness is plugged in I just checked.
    Shouldn?t bank 1 02 sensor be reading way higher with that much fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by JReese View Post
    The coil harness is plugged in I just checked.
    Shouldn?t bank 1 02 sensor be reading way higher with that much fuel?
    The o2 sensors ONLY read air, not fuel. You could pour raw gas down the pipe and it would still read the unburned extra air as lean.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gametech View Post
    Do you have the coil pack harness on bank 1 plugged in? Your o2 sensor appears to be working, and the massive fuel trims you are showing are beyond what you would get from just 1 dead cylinder or even a huge air leak in the exhaust.
    I have ground and power to bank 1 coil connector.

Tuner
    Set the fuel pressure to high? it's 52 psi for flex fuel injectors
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    Set the fuel pressure to high? it's 52 psi for flex fuel injectors
    I have not touched or added to the stock fuel pressure regulator. Wouldn?t that affect both banks?

Make sure you didn't swap injector wires. 6>8, 5>7 etc.

Advanced Tuner
    Bank 1 looks to be reading low. I'd swap the O2 sensors to see if it follows. If so, you may look into getting a new sensor.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    Bank 1 looks to be reading low. I'd swap the O2 sensors to see if it follows. If so, you may look into getting a new sensor.
    i just put in a different 02 and attached the log i ran at idle. 02 readings look better but still 25% ltft bank 1
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Make sure you didn't swap injector wires. 6>8, 5>7 etc.
    injectors have not even been disconnected, the engine harness is completely factory and was never removed

Tuner in Training
    ok still learning here lol.

i read up and decided to go back and reset the fuel trims since the 02 appeared to operate better, replacing 02 seems to have solved the main issue. i ran it into closed loop and the ltft stayed in the negatives the entire time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Add Cylinder Airmass and Mass Airflow Sensor to your Scanner channels. If I understood the initial post, this is a swap vehicle? If it is and even if you didn't modify the engine, the MAF could use a small tweak. I know on my setup, i had the MAF really close and when I rotated the intake tube to get the MAF sensor away from the radiator, it threw my trims off roughly 8%. Also, I seen you have a Flex fuel code pop up. My knowledge on those is less than I care to admit but you may want to look into it.

Tuner in Training
    Add Cylinder Airmass and Mass Airflow Sensor to your Scanner channels. If I understood the initial post, this is a swap vehicle? If it is and even if you didn't modify the engine, the MAF could use a small tweak. I know on my setup, i had the MAF really close and when I rotated the intake tube to get the MAF sensor away from the radiator, it threw my trims off roughly 8%. Also, I seen you have a Flex fuel code pop up. My knowledge on those is less than I care to admit but you may want to look into it.
    I will add those, thank you.
    It is a swap yes, I don?t have the flex fuel sensor or anything but I should read up on that

If you took out one L59 and put in a different L59, that's not a 'swap'. That's just an engine replacement.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    If you took out one L59 and put in a different L59, that's not a 'swap'. That's just an engine replacement.
    you would be correct, thats not what i did? its a l59 in a ford

Tuner in Training
    i looked into the flex fuel and i did need to disable it, i also changed stoich afr to 14.4 and its running much better. I'll keep dialing it in. thanks for the help!