Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 F150 /BMW Diesel Swap

Potential Tuner

2011 F150 /BMW Diesel Swap

Here's my setup. 2011 F150. Original ecoboost replaced with a bmw m57 diesel. I have the ecoboost crank sensor, cht sensor connected to the diesel engine. I don't have the map sensor or throttle body connected. Ford pcm controlling the original 6r80 transmission. It drives and I've had it up to 90 kph but it kept going into neutral when I slowed down or accelerated too quickly. Wrench light and battery light on as i used the bmw alternator. From watching data it looks like the torque values start out ok for a bit but when I hit the throttle they drop and stay there until I restart it. i have an injector issue with it right now but hopefully I'll get that fixed tomorrow and can do more logs. let me know is i should be logging more data. I've also attached original and modified file with dtcs deleted and redline lowered in trans.

23-10-15 16-09-19.hpl23-12-14 17-31-14.hpl23-12-14 17-28-45.hpl23-12-23 14-49-59.hplF150 dtc rpm.hptF150 stock file.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Here's a bin file read if that is more useful.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ZL...ew?usp=sharing

What year engine is your M57 straight 6? Also is there a way to add the map sensor to the engine block the ecoboost has a few map sensors and measure up to 3 bar as well as are used to calculate baro. try to intigrate as may of the sensors as you can if possible so the ecm can use the data to help correct torque modeling for trans control.

I will have a look at the logs ad see if i can make some adjustments to fix you 90 kph neutral issue.

The Battery light maybe coming on due to the battery monitor sensor not being installed around the ground cable on the battery ground its a 3 wire sensor that just monitors current draw and estimated battery temperature.
    Last edited by Lost0187; 01-06-2024 at 01:22 AM.

Vcm scanner pids

Here is my channels list for my 2016 Navigator 3.5 ecoboost try to use these as a base to log off. You may not need everyone but any ones that show data log so i can go over what's happening on the truck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Make sure to log speed and trans pids so I can see what is happening each shift.

Also if you need any wiring diagrams for specific years of vehicles let me know I use all data and have access to all the info on most any vehicle and its systems.

I take it you are using the BMW Bosch ECU (Manual) standalone to control the engine and you are trying to use the Ford Bosch PCM to control the transmission. It should be possible to work flawlessly but you going to have to disable a lot of the engine side of the ford pcm and keep enough of the sensors like (pedal, select shift, crank signal, coolant, fuel level fuel pump (lift pump) brake sensor, oil pressure switch, etc so the cluster functions as if the original 3.5 engine was still in use. A lot of systems can be disabled but something will need to be kept so the trans doesn’t limp out upon start up.

Throttle body you maybe able to delete if not you can always bolt it to an aluminum or steel plate and keep it plugged in so the pcm thinks it’s still functional.

One other option could be to remove the lead frame from the 6R80 and use a 6HP28 leadframe or valve body seeing as the transmissions are based off a similar design and use the same exact gear ratios to operate.

The main difference is the 6hp28 uses a mechatronic tcm integrated to the leadframe vs the 2011 & up 6R80 transmissions using a leadframe with no internal tcm but rather use the pcm to control the transmission functions. If you went that way you would basically disable the transmission function from the 3.5 pcm and most of the engine functions if not remove it completely. And run only your M57 ECU the only issue with that is it will most likely render the cluster useless but I’m not 100% sure it would seeing as the cluster uses the abs module for speed as well and the bcm for gear ratio of the rear axle.

Potential Tuner
    I got my injector replaced and it’s running good now but I seem to have an issue with the bmw computer throttle input now. So trying to get that figured out. I’m useing the bmw ecu tuned as manual to control the engine. I thought about using the bmw lead frame but there’s enough differences in the valve body I don’t think it would work. I’m using the ford throttle pedal.

Let me know if that calibration I sent is helping with the trans stuff once you test those. Made quit a few changes so you will have to test and see what works and what doesn’t but you can base it off those files.

Potential Tuner
    24-01-15 22-04-54.hplI havent had much time to play with it and im having throttle position issues with the engine so i can only momentarily blip the throttle right now. Here's a log from doing that. its just sitting in park. I'm wondering if the rpm dropping to zero is a result on the torque logic issues. It only does it when i blip the throttle. slow and steady on the throttle and it doesn't do it.

gonna send you another to try I'm still seeing the FMEM which means its having a throttle body issue and knowing one is not there you may wan to try ad disable the ETC all together with the ETC switch.

BMW M57 Swap

Here are a few logs he sent me after we played with it some looks like now we got it driving ad functional maybe some fine tuning in the trans and this thing can now be dialed in by the user. Happy to help get it functional and working to some extent using the BMW ECU mixed with the Ecoboost PCM.

We have made some progress over the last couple weeks for the BMW M57 6R80 swap transmission. As we get it dialed in I’ll keep you swap guys posted but road testing has begun and working out all the kinks in making a 3.5 ecoboost 6r80 act correctly on a 3.0L inline 6 diesel. Will post more logs as we continue to get the truck right and hope we can make everything work as intended by ford using the Bosch controller.

Getting the 6r80 to function with very little PCM input but progress is being made its shifting and the rpm signal is not dropping out like prior logs. The main issue as of now is getting the converter to lock up at a specific RPM range and speed. Ill keep anyone interested in the process informed as well as hopefully we can integrate a few more sensors from the Eco Boost into the BMW M57 3.0 DSL engine.

WOT.hpl
    part throttle.hpl

We have gotten better results the more we play with the calibration the transmission is going 1-6 and 6-1 with the converter engaging when commanded. The only issue I see in the latest logs is the truck will be in 6th gear you hit the pedal to max and it will jump down to 2nd gear and push more rpm than I like 3500 to 4200 then climb to 4750. HP tuners is missing some key down shift max speed definitions and maybe Eric or one of the engineers can add them to the calibration I sent in a ticket today with the definitions and labels.

Other than that it is running driving and shifting like any normal vehicle does which is a huge feat especially when your talking a gasoline pcm running a transmission behind a diesel engine that were never made to go together.

I’ll add some more logs but it is possible to make a 6r80 basically a stand alone controller with some inputs for the engine. And it cost a lot less than the quick 6 controller when you add it up.

Here is a log I got today still working on some of the trans stuff but getting there. You will see what I mean about the WOT RPM being high it should only go to 3rd but i mad some changes and the next log will hopefully fix this issue.

The latest log from the M57 swapped 6R80 F150 I think this is the first one of its kind. Its using the stock BMW M57 controller to control the 3.0 DSL engine in line with the TC-1797 eco boost controller for transmission operation very cool build and happy to see it can work I wasn't to sure it could be done when I started to calibrate it. A few more tweaks and i think it will be a polished product.

Here is a 10 min log of the truck so far and how its operating...

THE BMW M57 6r80 Build In Action

We finally have the transmission able to drive around town safely and properly without worrying if its gonna leave the builder stranded. The 6R80 is showing good converter lockup and consistency as commanded I like these projects that are different and challenging not your everyday tune files. This is a Canadian based truck ad im helping remotely from good old North GA ad excited to see the truck in action once the owner has it all buttoned up.

Here is another file I got starting to get a realistic torque model on the engine side of the build so the trans knows when to command higher pressures for higher torque loads vs light driving and coast down.

I figure with the engine side modified and it being a inline 6 cyl turbo dsl the truck is probably pushing at least 550 lbft and 380 hp to the crank minimum. Truck is also running around 35 to 40 psi of total boost depending on ambient conditions and with it being winter in Canada the air is denser than in spring.

Hope you guys who like different engine / trans combos enjoy the logs. Anything is possible thanks to the engineers at HPT thanks for all your hard work.

Fully Operation 6r80 Standalone 6R80 Diesel M57 Control

The truck is all ready and has been driving over the last few weeks trans pressures and TCC lock up is about as good as it can be considering this combo is not usually ran together. I have been playing with the file a little and have managed to get correct boost and map readings. There was a wire issue that was worked out now its just setting torque models the best I can for the diesel engine to ensure trans is at the proper pressure for the given situation. very proud of this one ad would be happy to help others with similar setups or 6R80 stand alone control from factory PCMS.

Over the last month I have worked with the customer and have gotten the truck to respond great to all the changes we incorporated into the stock 2011 Tri core PCM. The straight 6 BMW 335D is a great motor and with the 6R80 over the manual you get the best driving experience possible when doing this swap into a similar truck like a F150. The customer has full progressive range of the 6 gears, full manual mode, T/H with grade assist which have all been mapped to the power band of the 335D M57 engine and its redline. I do know on the other side the BMW ECU he is using is updated with a aftermarket calibration and the diesel engine has the usual upgrades you would do with this application. From the logs I have been viewing torque model seem accurate especially in the air load rage these trucks don’t make vacuum like gasoline vehicles and run completely different as far as they have no spark everything is injection timing and how it’s mapped to optimize power delivery. As we move forward I will continue to see if we can get things even more close to actual from the engine perspective so the trans can operate at it best all the time and live along happy life in the vehicle.

Cause at the end of the day it’s all about calibrations that drive like factory but also have the added benefits of an upgraded calibration and being optimized to each application.