Thread: Asked to license ecu that has already been licensed

Asked to license ecu that has already been licensed

Hey all,
    This is the first time I've tried to write to a ecu and have 0 credits available.

I've been trying to write to a BA & a BF ecu that have previously been licensed, they've both been fitted to a speedway car with securitys removed and basic adjustments to get them to run standalone.

When trying to write I'm getting prompted to license as you would if the ecu hadn't been licenced previously.

Would there be something I'm doing wrong?
    I'm simply reading the ecu, making adjustments and writing back. Nothing else, if there is a step im missing with a previously licenced ecu.

Thanks heaps!

Advanced Tuner
    When you say "Previously Licensed ECU" Do you mean someone else has tuned it for you and your trying to use your Interface to now write it?
    If so, your interface has not be licensed to this ECU. Just because it has had a file written to it with another interface doesn't mean you can write to it as well. Each Interface will need to be licensed per ECU.

Yes that's excactly what I meant.
    Awesome thank you, that's the clarification I was chasing.

People have told me that once licensed, the ecu itself is unlocked and anyone can read and write.
    I completely understand that that is not the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong,
    The license is stored on the interface with the ecu/vin number? Not stored in the ecu.

I primarily do aftermarket ecu's so this is a new world to me. Thanks for the quick reply and clarification!

During the read write procedure a special code is created that is unique to the ECM/PCM that is associated with an MPVI. If you change the module even though it is in the same vehicle and the same VIN you will be required to re-license. A PCM/ECM could have a hundred credits on it if it was tuned by 50 different MPVI's.