Thread: E67 w/ T43 Tow/ Haul mode over Class 2

Potential Tuner

E67 w/ T43 Tow/ Haul mode over Class 2

I'm planning out a L92/ 6L90e swap into a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500hd. I will be using an E67 to retain the class 2 data needed for the truck while supplying the CAN needed for the TCM. Does the E67 work correctly to pass along the class 2 tow haul request onto CAN to the TCM? It doesn't look like the Colorado or Trailblazers had a tow haul mode, so it's not clear to me if the e67 will convert the class 2 tow haul into CAN.

On a side note, my plan for the cluster gear indicator would be to change to an 06 style so that the indicators are LEDs and not on a VFD. I'm assuming that the PRND indicators will light up the same, but what happens when the truck is shifted into M or 1? Will 3 be lit for M and 2 lit for 1 or will the indicator just go blank?

Senior Tuner
    You can’t just randomly mix these parts and expect them to work because they are all connected to the can network. They hardware and programming all have to work together. This is a lot more complicated than you think.

Potential Tuner
    I'm not randomly mixing parts. The 07-09 E67 using a 09 TBSS os has the necessary class 2 output for the gauges to work, while also having the necessary CAN system to run an 07-09 T43. The E67 also has the right ABS output for the GMT800 ABS module to work and the TBSS os has the discrete inputs for the cruise control to work. The E67 also has VVT to run the VVT on the l92. The T43 has the option for a hardwire TU/TD input using a resistor ladder setup from a Corvette, which also happens to match the resistor ladder present in the LBZ Duramax shifter. All of this has been done before on a GMT800 platform.

The GMT800 I was looking at used a CAN module to convert the momentary input from the tow haul button into a CAN signal for the transmission rather than running the tow haul signal over class 2 from the BCM to the PCM as is done stock. I am wondering if that CAN module is truly necessary, or if the E67 can convert the tow haul mode request into CAN for the T43. It would be nice to avoid this module as it's $400+ and would only be used for tow haul. The tow haul mode button would still need to be connected to the BCM as the BCM would output the class 2 signal for the cluster tow haul mode to light.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ellswow View Post
    Does the E67 work correctly to pass along the class 2 tow haul request onto CAN to the TCM?
    It does.

Get used E67 and flash it with TBSS 2008 calibration, it is the closest to L92 which you can get and it has the same throttle which is a big deal.
    Try to assemble minimal E67 + T43 bench harness and connect it to Class2 vehicle to look what will work and what will not. It is important before doing actual swap.

Be ready that you will not make VVT work since there was no Class2 E67 configurations with VVT (except NS).
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Advanced Tuner
    The 2010-2012 V8 Colorados had VVT and class 2.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by verlon View Post
    It does.

Get used E67 and flash it with TBSS 2008 calibration, it is the closest to L92 which you can get and it has the same throttle which is a big deal.
    Try to assemble minimal E67 + T43 bench harness and connect it to Class2 vehicle to look what will work and what will not. It is important before doing actual swap.

Be ready that you will not make VVT work since there was no Class2 E67 configurations with VVT (except NS).
    The options under variable camshaft don't actually work when using a TBSS config then?

To do the bench harness I would assume I need the BCM to be involved as well since its the one actually sending the class 2 tow haul signal out.
    Last edited by ellswow; 01-16-2024 at 07:44 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    The 2010-2012 V8 Colorados had VVT and class 2.
    If the TBSS one won't actually do VVT even when using the Yukons VVT settings then I will use the Colorado. The only downside is that cruise control is 3 discrete inputs in the TBSS, which matches the GMT800 cruise setup. The Colorado uses a single wire resistor ladder setup. That's easy enough to recreate with a DIY circuit board, but I'd rather avoid doing that if possible.

So pretty much the only remaining question is what lights up on the cluster when you select M and 1. Hopefully it lights up 3 and 2 respectively as then it's simply a matter of getting a custom face plate made to change those 3 and 2 positions to say M and 1 and then leaving a blank on what use to be 1.
    Last edited by ellswow; 01-16-2024 at 07:45 PM.

Tuner
    The options under variable camshaft don't actually work when using a TBSS config then?
    No. Other VVT actuator settings is absent in the non-VVT calibrations.

To do the bench harness I would assume I need the BCM to be involved as well since its the one actually sending the class 2 tow haul signal out.
    You can disconnect PCM and plug bench harness to the OBD connector on the target vehicle.

then I will use the Colorado
    2010+ ECM will not communicate with 2008 TCM
    2009+ engines uses different throttle (bigger)
    L92 uses uniqe VVT actuator (12585994) with extended authority (62* vs 52* on all other Gen4 engines)
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs