Thread: SRT4 Neon Spark Timing Problem

Potential Tuner

SRT4 Neon Spark Timing Problem

Hello all I have 2005 SRT4 Neon with BC stage 2 cams, 3 bar MAP / TIP stock turbo ID1050x Injectors on returnless style fuel system 3 inch exhaust big FMIC on stock surge valve as well that I've recently purchased. The vehicle was on a DSP predator and didn't have any of the correct setting for the MAP change etc and would spark knock bad when even trying to get into boost. I've since licensed the vehicle with HPT and plan on trying to tackle the tuning on the car myself. I've tuned with KPro on my Honda stuff and I love the SRT4 platform always have but it sucks because theirs no good training on tuning them anywhere. I watch Evans performance academy I've emailed him and he said he will not be offering SRT4 neon training due to lack of demand which for guys like me really sucks! I'm keen to learn and will take as much advice and I can possibly get so in this post I'd like to gain insight on how the NGC ecu functions and how to go about tuning it. Now onto the real problem!

When I got the car it had Mopar stage 2 injectors and for the life of me I could not find good injector data on them and what I did find I had no idea how to translate into Dodge format. I installed set of ID1050x injectors and altered the Inj. PW vs. Fuel Mass and it's inverse the startup scalar and voltage offsets also updated the MAP linear and offset for 3 bar stuff. Car now doesn't max out STFT and runs so much better. Now the issue I'm having is when you get into boost the spark timing just falls out and the timing advance shows 5 degrees or lower and the car is a pig. Now I see in the log the LT Max Retard at 14 degrees which I am guessing is just stating the max it will take out and not that it is taking that out and also I am not exactly sure which ignition timing PID I should be referring to for accurate spark timing readings theirs a few to choose from. I thought maybe the issue was torque management related to the Max Tq Red MAP Limits etc because I did set overboost codes so I SES disabled the codes it set and adjusted the MAP limits in the diagnostics tab as well and still no changes. Not really sure why it's doing this I really wanna learn all I can about this system so any help is greatly appreciated !!

base tune 2 (ID1050x data).hpt
    driving and WOT.hpl
    little warm up log.hpl

I use both actual and desired spark, then log retard, and iat retard
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the advice man I’ll have to log those im still not sure what the deal is with the timing getting yanked out did you take a look at the log kinda weird.

I did not, but i will when i get a chance
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

id suggest getting a tune from dave or mario.. there cheap and good.

if you want to tackle it .. if found these to start with..
    1-your wot (&part throttle )spark isn't scaled for 3bar....
    2-injector offset, should be data from the 4bar row (58psi/14.7), not 3bar
    3-i pulled the ID 1050 xls .. i didn't see a column for injector flow @ 4bar (default is 3bar).... to see what i mean, pull the xls for the 1300's

a good baseline is to start with the s2 tunes from the repo.. using the compare function .. shows you what to change.. and you're right, wot timing will need to be pulled under 4000 rpm

pm if you have questions

Tuner in Training
    COT enabled, etc ,etc

Quote Originally Posted by magentamonster View Post
    Hello all I have 2005 SRT4 Neon with BC stage 2 cams, 3 bar MAP / TIP stock turbo ID1050x Injectors on returnless style fuel system 3 inch exhaust big FMIC on stock surge valve as well that I've recently purchased. The vehicle was on a DSP predator and didn't have any of the correct setting for the MAP change etc and would spark knock bad when even trying to get into boost. I've since licensed the vehicle with HPT and plan on trying to tackle the tuning on the car myself. I've tuned with KPro on my Honda stuff and I love the SRT4 platform always have but it sucks because theirs no good training on tuning them anywhere. I watch Evans performance academy I've emailed him and he said he will not be offering SRT4 neon training due to lack of demand which for guys like me really sucks! I'm keen to learn and will take as much advice and I can possibly get so in this post I'd like to gain insight on how the NGC ecu functions and how to go about tuning it. Now onto the real problem!

When I got the car it had Mopar stage 2 injectors and for the life of me I could not find good injector data on them and what I did find I had no idea how to translate into Dodge format. I installed set of ID1050x injectors and altered the Inj. PW vs. Fuel Mass and it's inverse the startup scalar and voltage offsets also updated the MAP linear and offset for 3 bar stuff. Car now doesn't max out STFT and runs so much better. Now the issue I'm having is when you get into boost the spark timing just falls out and the timing advance shows 5 degrees or lower and the car is a pig. Now I see in the log the LT Max Retard at 14 degrees which I am guessing is just stating the max it will take out and not that it is taking that out and also I am not exactly sure which ignition timing PID I should be referring to for accurate spark timing readings theirs a few to choose from. I thought maybe the issue was torque management related to the Max Tq Red MAP Limits etc because I did set overboost codes so I SES disabled the codes it set and adjusted the MAP limits in the diagnostics tab as well and still no changes. Not really sure why it's doing this I really wanna learn all I can about this system so any help is greatly appreciated !!

base tune 2 (ID1050x data).hpt
    driving and WOT.hpl
    little warm up log.hpl
    Hey there , if you need a custom tune i can do it if you cant figure it out as i tune these every day.

Potential Tuner
    I wrote the Diablo 91 tune in and read that and edited the CORRECT injector settings and MAP settings and the car doesn’t do that weird timing crap anymore but now I need to get the VE adjusted correctly and figure out this overboost problem.