Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driver Demand Editor: new tool for tuning DBW throttle mapping

Greg brought to my attention that HP Tuners does not yet support the Transmission Current Gear pids for at least one of the latest ECMs, so I updated the app to handle this scenario. But instead of just ignoring the transmission gear, I implemented an approach that automatically identifies the current gear based on the ratio of the vehicle speed to the engine rpm.

It uses kernel density estimation on the ratios to assign a transmission gear. The attached graph is an example from a real log. Think of the density estimate as a continuous version of a histogram. This log contained the most 4th gear data since its peak is the highest, and the least 6th gear data since its peak is lowest. The vertical blue dotted lines mark the ratio values identified as a transmission gear peak, and the horizontal red dashed line is an adaptive floor value, below which any peaks are ignored. Each datalog record is then assigned to the transmission gear whose ratio is closest to it. There is spread around the peaks because tire rolling diameter and traction are not fixed values, plus transitions occur during gear shifts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CYN_CRVR; 03-19-2024 at 08:00 PM.

Tuner in Training

Result would be too long a vector

Quote Originally Posted by CYN_CRVR View Post
    For anyone that runs into problems or gets results that don't look right, please upload the following to this thread so I can investigate and improve the app:
    - your HPL log file
    - your current DD table, copy-pasted with axes into a raw *.txt file

Thanks,
    I'm having a hard time uploading anything but will continue to try.
    I've been trying the last few days to use this tool, but I keep getting an error "Result would be too long a vector."
    As far as I can tell, I'm following the procedures to the T.
    Any ideas?

I'll upload as soon as I can figure out whatever issue is keeping me from uploading any files.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JtblckZ View Post
    I'm having a hard time uploading anything but will continue to try.
    I've been trying the last few days to use this tool, but I keep getting an error "Result would be too long a vector."
    As far as I can tell, I'm following the procedures to the T.
    Any ideas?

I'll upload as soon as I can figure out whatever issue is keeping me from uploading any files.
    Thanks.
    I'll DM you my email address so you can send the files directly to me.

will this app work on the dd tables that use rpm as the x axis instead of vss??
    2017 mustang gt

Quote Originally Posted by Tadias48 View Post
    Not yet, but I do plan to add this functionality in the coming weeks, so stay tuned.

Tuner in Training Cal Naughton Jr's Avatar
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I've had great results with this tool. Thank you, Mike!

Has anyone messed with the negative value multiplier?
    Last edited by Cal Naughton Jr; 03-19-2024 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Naughton Jr View Post
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I've had great results with this tool. Thank you, Mike!

Has anyone messed with the negative value multiplier?
    I used a 20% multiplier on my decel values, and the change was not drastic. This is with a manual transmission, fwiw. You might also explore tweaking your torque request rate limits (see post 26 for the link to a good thread).

Tuning Addict
    Pedal progression will affect deceleration more than anything. It helps me to think of the decel area of the pedal progression table like the relationship of the throttle follower table on the gen 4's. In other words a limiter for how much torque will be pulled during that rpm and pedal position. Just watch out lowering it too much because it can lead to some hard downshifting hits where it's trying to engine brake too much. You really have to work both the pedal progression and driver demand tables then use the rate tables to fine tune things if need be from there.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by Tadias48 View Post
    Driver Demand Editor now also supports tables with RPM-referenced columns. Lmk how it works if anyone tries it.