Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver Demand Editor: new tool for tuning DBW throttle mapping

Lightbulb Driver Demand Editor: new tool for tuning DBW throttle mapping

I'm picky about my drive-by-wire throttle mapping, as I find that a good [or bad] pedal curve can really make [or break] the driving experience - regardless of a car's total power level. I created a tool that allows me to fine-tune my pedal profile in a data-driven manner, and I achieved good results with it. I developed it primarily with my manual transmission Camaro, and I'd like to thank GHuggins for providing invaluable beta testing feedback with automatic transmission trucks as well.

Here's a video that demos the app:

And here's a guide that explains how to access the app via a free web server (with limitations), or by local installation on your own computer:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Z6...ew?usp=sharing

I hope others find it as useful as I have. I purposely disabled comments in the YouTube video, so please use this thread here for questions, bug reports, feature requests, and any other relevant discussions. Thanks,

Senior Tuner
    Cool I'm close to finishing a cammed/procharged build right now. I'll give it a shot .
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Cool I'm close to finishing a cammed/procharged build right now. I'll give it a shot .
    Great. I can't recall whether I mentioned this in the video, but currently the app will not increase any cell value beyond the existing maximum torque value. So especially for power adders, you'll probably want to do a rough first pass on your DD table if you haven't already (e.g., by simply multiplying all positive values by a constant factor) before logging for this app. This is a behavior I can potentially change in the future.

For anyone that runs into problems or gets results that don't look right, please upload the following to this thread so I can investigate and improve the app:
    - your HPL log file
    - your current DD table, copy-pasted with axes into a raw *.txt file

Thanks,

Tuning Addict
    I will say that this tool has come a long way from it's original form. I'm impressed with how it works. Even got some tables a few times on the E90's that looked crazy, but turned out to be what it needed.

The app itself still gray screens. Don't know if that's because of traffic or something else. May just be because of my old computer too I haven't had an issue with it raising or modifying the last few rows. It can take a couple of passes, but everything seems to work good. I still haven't been able to try the customization features.

Thank You for your work on this Michael!!!
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    This is really great... thank you very much for sharing this!

I need to ask, one of the required parameters required to log is "Offset (time)" and I can't find that parameter when searching or trying to add it to the channels.

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAA View Post
    This is really great... thank you very much for sharing this!

I need to ask, one of the required parameters required to log is "Offset (time)" and I can't find that parameter when searching or trying to add it to the channels.
    That's not actually a parameter, per se - it's automatically recorded by VCM Scanner, and it shows up as the first column in the CSV when you export it from the HPL log.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I will say that this tool has come a long way from it's original form. I'm impressed with how it works. Even got some tables a few times on the E90's that looked crazy, but turned out to be what it needed.

The app itself still gray screens. Don't know if that's because of traffic or something else. May just be because of my old computer too I haven't had an issue with it raising or modifying the last few rows. It can take a couple of passes, but everything seems to work good. I still haven't been able to try the customization features.

Thank You for your work on this Michael!!!
    I appreciate the words of encouragement. The grey screen seems to indicate an out-of-memory issue on the web server. I could fix it by purchasing a $50/month paid plan, but I'm not feeling that charitable at the moment. If you take the additional manual step of removing unnecessary columns from the CSV prior to uploading, it should eliminate this problem (unless others are simultaneously using the app and also eating up memory space). If after removing unnecessary columns you still encounter the grey screen, send me the log so I can investigate.

Also, let me know if you hit any snags with the local installation once you settle on a new computer with Windows 10/11 64-bit.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CYN_CRVR View Post
    I appreciate the words of encouragement. The grey screen seems to indicate an out-of-memory issue on the web server. I could fix it by purchasing a $50/month paid plan, but I'm not feeling that charitable at the moment. If you take the additional manual step of removing unnecessary columns from the CSV prior to uploading, it should eliminate this problem (unless others are simultaneously using the app and also eating up memory space). If after removing unnecessary columns you still encounter the grey screen, send me the log so I can investigate.

Also, let me know if you hit any snags with the local installation once you settle on a new computer with Windows 10/11 64-bit.
    It gray screens without trying to load anything like it did today. It'll do it just when opening the app. I'm betting on traffic. No sense paying for something you're giving away for free. It's still working good. Just need to watch the latest vid so I can see how to use the final customization aspects of it.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    It gray screens without trying to load anything like it did today. It'll do it just when opening the app. I'm betting on traffic.
    Oh, interesting - I didn't realize that was occurring. I'll see if I can confirm the cause. Thanks,

Tuning Addict
    I would also like to say that I wish I had that video while we were making changes to the tool. That is SO MUCH easier to understand how to use it. As you pointed out, it's also a good habit to look at it in 3D format after making the changes and then smoothing some dips or hard transitional areas where you don't get that good data. Thanks Again!

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CYN_CRVR View Post
    That's not actually a parameter, per se - it's automatically recorded by VCM Scanner, and it shows up as the first column in the CSV when you export it from the HPL log.
    Ah, got it... I see it now in the CSV.

I should also confirm, zero issues with the local installation on Win10 x64.

**Add on edit**
    Got it all sorted and everything is working well now. I'm running locally.

I'm looking forward to getting a bigger log tonight to play around but already encouraged by the short test I did. Very cool!
    Last edited by WingsAA; 01-25-2024 at 04:46 PM.

I should also confirm, zero issues with the local installation on Win10 x64.
    OK good, thanks for confirming.

Got it all sorted and everything is working well now. I'm running locally. I'm looking forward to getting a bigger log tonight to play around but already encouraged by the short test I did. Very cool!

Tuning Addict
    App seems to be fixed if you did anything to it At least it never grayed out once for me today.

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Just Tried This Tool Out. Even for a Beginner Like myself, this was tool was so easy and useful to use. I Recently added a Soler 103/107mm Throttle Body and This Made it Even better to Drive after maybe 2 tries. So much Smoother.

Great Work!!

Tuner
    Just tried it today on my LT4 blower Yukon. It always had a weird spot in 2nd gear where the throttle was a little to touchy. Did one log and used the online program and it smoothed it out perfectly. Cant wait to try it anther vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa121805 View Post
    Just Tried This Tool Out. Even for a Beginner Like myself, this was tool was so easy and useful to use. I Recently added a Soler 103/107mm Throttle Body and This Made it Even better to Drive after maybe 2 tries. So much Smoother.

Great Work!!
    Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    Just tried it today on my LT4 blower Yukon. It always had a weird spot in 2nd gear where the throttle was a little to touchy. Did one log and used the online program and it smoothed it out perfectly. Cant wait to try it anther vehicle.
    Awesome; I'm glad it's working out well for folks so far.

I pushed an update today that includes modest improvements to resource usage and the average load calculations. If you've already installed the app locally on your machine, you just need to replace your app.R and www/dll.R files with the latest ones from GitHub in order to be running the current version. There's no need to re-run any of the commands from the installation guide.

I pushed another update today that improves the smoothing scheme, so it should reduce the amount of manual fine-tuning you'll need to do to the app's output.

Local installation folks should replace your app.R, www/dll.R, and www/viz.R files with the latest ones from GitHub to run the current version.
    Last edited by CYN_CRVR; 02-02-2024 at 05:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I wanted to dive into the weeds a bit on this regarding the applied usage. Everything is working well but wanted to get some clarification on how I'm applying my logic from the outputs and making edits to my DD.

If I look at the "Results" my 1-dimensional profile views are all now pretty smooth across all ranges. This was after making some manual edits to the DD table initially by looking at just the 1-dimensional views. And will add that drivability feels pretty good as well. Have not copied and pasted the overall DD from the CSV yet.

Outputs.jpg

When I look at the "Load vs Pedal" now I'm seeing some goofy average lines (VSS Column: 50KPH as an example) and trying to determine how to interpret and remedy them. Maybe I'm working backward by looking at the 1-dimensional and should focus on just copying and pasting the CSV results first and going from there.

LoadVSPedal.jpg