Thread: Successful relearn with the scanner

Advanced Tuner

Successful relearn with the scanner

I know a lot of people have issues with crank relearn function on the scanner. Most would show successful but would not fix the issue
    Had a 2016 Mustang GT throwing P0315 after a rebuild and clutch install. The car had a real rough idle and would stall. The intake cams were very unstable and not in sync with each other, which could be why the crank relearns often fail.

I disabled "Variable Camshaft" in the top left of the variable camshaft tab which will "lock" the cams at their resting position, flashed the file.
    Performed a crank relearn through VCM scanner, showed successful. P0315 cleared on its own.
    Re-enabled VCT, flashed the file and TiVCT was fully functioning and running as it should.

I know this isn't a 100% working method, having tried crank relearn with the VCM Scanner on gt500s that already have the variable cam set to disabled with crank relearns failing. But after numerous attempts on a 5.0, this method worked first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    I know a lot of people have issues with crank relearn function on the scanner. Most would show successful but would not fix the issue
    Had a 2016 Mustang GT throwing P0315 after a rebuild and clutch install. The car had a real rough idle and would stall. The intake cams were very unstable and not in sync with each other, which could be why the crank relearns often fail.

I disabled "Variable Camshaft" in the top left of the variable camshaft tab which will "lock" the cams at their resting position, flashed the file.
    Performed a crank relearn through VCM scanner, showed successful. P0315 cleared on its own.
    Re-enabled VCT, flashed the file and TiVCT was fully functioning and running as it should.

I know this isn't a 100% working method, having tried crank relearn with the VCM Scanner on gt500s that already have the variable cam set to disabled with crank relearns failing. But after numerous attempts on a 5.0, this method worked first try.
    Crank re-learn is for misfire monitor only. Engine would run normally regardless.

Most if the time without even asking any more question, I know for 100% timing chains were installed incorrectly - how many time we were fixing this is beyond me.
    Last edited by veeefour; 01-25-2024 at 03:17 AM.