Thread: Unlicensed Vehicle Issue

Potential Tuner

Unlicensed Vehicle Issue

Hello,

I had ordered 2 tunes for my 2020 Ford Mustang GT500 (one for 93 octane, one for 100 octane) I purchased my RTD Scanner and 2 tunes through VMP Performance. I purchased the required amount of credits (4). I received the required tunes, and using my RTD and HP Tuners software, I was able to install the 93 octane tune. All was and is fine with the VMP tune loaded to the vehicle. I received a couple of letters from Ford for some recalls which requires me to revert back to my original stock tune for Ford to flash it with whatever updates as required by the recall.

When trying to load my stock tune back using the RTD I am getting the message "unlicensed vehicle". When opening up a ticket with HP Tuners the response I got from HP Tuners is

"You would have to license it.

Pete
    HP Tuners Support "

Please help me license it. How do I go about completing this process? Do you mean that I will have to purchase more credits to load my stock tune back into my car? I was under the impression that I can switch between my stock, 93 octane, 100 octane tune whenever I chose to without having to purchase additional credits. Is that not so?

Is the file visible on the phone as an .hpt file? Transfer it to a computer and put it on it?! Have you correctly re-synced the device lately?

Potential Tuner
    If I understand what I've read correctly, then the dealer flashes your PCM during service, and that flash effectively makes it a "new" ECM by updating things, to include the operating system. So yes, you'll have to buy credits again.

I learned the hard way too, although a little different way. I had a vehicle unlocked on HP and on EFI. I used HP to put in a COS. That changed the operating system, so EFI license was lost.