Thread: ZF8 / 845RE Basic shift speed adjustment

Potential Tuner

ZF8 / 845RE Basic shift speed adjustment

I am new to ZF Tuning and I?m having a problem deciphering the files. All I?m wanting to do is lower the 2-1 coastdown shift speed or soften it up in an attempt to correct a clunk. Dealer says it?s a normal characteristic in a 15 Grand Cherokee 3.6L. Myself nor the customer like it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Truefordguy View Post
    I am new to ZF Tuning and I?m having a problem deciphering the files. All I?m wanting to do is lower the 2-1 coastdown shift speed or soften it up in an attempt to correct a clunk. Dealer says it?s a normal characteristic in a 15 Grand Cherokee 3.6L. Myself nor the customer like it. Any help would be much appreciated.
    2nd to 1st downshift is "always" an issue...
    The way to fix it is:
    - Reset adaptation (to see if it helps... drive for a while... I mean, a couple of days). If the issue persists, the solution would be a combination of torque converter opening point, shift RPM, pressure and timing.

Hard to say the exact value. However, fully possible to get it fixed!

DO you have a flare 3rd - 4th upshift under light throttle? THis is also a common issue for this model...

Thanks.
    DodgeBoy.
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@dodgeboy2785

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response!
    No flare or any issues on upshifts. Vehicle came in with a SEVERE 2-1 downshift issue. Fluid and pan was full of aluminum. "A" clutches were completely wiped out. Overhauled rebuilt T/C from Precision. w/ new clutches and pistons in every cylinder except "D" clutch. That cylinder air tested good and clutches were fine so only replaced clutches there. Installed low mileage known good VB w/OE TCM. Initial test drive after resetting adapts at operating temp of about 170, the harsh downshift on 2-1 was still there. Had dealer reflash with latest Cal. That did help the down shift a lot but did not eliminate it. I am studying the tune file trying to make sense of their terminology and am hoping someone can enlighten me.

Advanced Tuner
    [email protected]

don tanklage