Thread: Second opinions on l83 noise

Second opinions on l83 noise

Hey guys I just got my truck out of the shop for an injector replacement and I don't remember the truck making this sound. Does anybody have a clue what this is?

https://youtube.com/shorts/eRxRRA-lt...YGPCpLr16-CcST

Tuning Addict
    It's that socket they left in the intake rattling at a high frequency

Unplug the purge valve when it's doing it, see if the problem goes away.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

I can't even reach it with the engine running and everything attached. Do you mean unplug it mechanically or electrically

Tuning Addict
    Electrically. You'll have to clear the codes afterwards, but it sounds like it going through a self test. You might want to make sure nothing's loose too. You can also just touch it and see if the vibration corresponds with the noise.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

This truck is back in the shop for the third time and being warrantied for valve train work. Since the heads are coming off I have options open such as a dod delete or have the guys put a aftermarket cam in for me. The only catch with that is that they will want to tune it. I know that will cost me and after the reviews that I've heard about their tuning I only trust them to do the mechanical work and preserve my wallet.

Best option to me seems to be a DOD delete and come in after them and put whatever cam I want in. I have done a mail order tune once So paying for the tuning help isn't an issue I would feel safer trusting one of you guys to tune it when I get to that point in a month or so and I will have the credits/license under my belt for future tuning.

I am open to suggestions as what top end cam I can put in without upgrading injectors and springs or even what springs to put in now for the future cam.

I'm not sure if the guy would put an aftermarket cam in for me without tuning it, that is to be asked.
    Last edited by Guy With A Chevy; 02-09-2024 at 09:41 AM.

Tuning Addict
    So valvetrain went to hell right as getting an injector replaced? Really sounded like a noisy purge valve cycling, but if not that's an awfully noisy valvetrain. Then the fact that they gave it to you that way after the injector warranty if it is valvetrain???

~Greg Huggins~

I have only had the truck for 2-3000 miles. It was pre-existing condition and replacing the injector did fix the miss on 5. I acquired the truck for cheap with it needing some love and somehow a warranty.

I have replaced the starter, thermostat, 5 bulbs and even had to take apart the tailgate to get the damn thing unlocked it was abused a bit like I said it was cheap even has a plastic floorboard! And it is definitely internal noise most likely bad roller on one of the lifters I assure you I'll have some photos when they tear it apart.

Digital audio is never adequate enough to replicate deep mechanical noise imo.
    Last edited by Guy With A Chevy; 02-09-2024 at 06:17 PM.

Tuning Addict
    That's too high frequency for valvetrain if I'm listening to the correct noise in the vid. Definitely sounds like a purge valve bouncing in that video. If nothing else it's at or close to engine speed, which isn't valvetrain. If nothing else maybe they'll replace stuff and make the good bad via a grinder so they can warranty. Seen that done plenty in the stealership. Or maybe there's lifter problems too - who knows. I was just listening to the coming and going "wood pecker" noise.

~Greg Huggins~

I will get the truck warmed up today and disconnect that purge valve electrically like you told me and see what I come up with. I also never mentioned that the engine has low oil pressure I have spotted as low as 22psi
    Last edited by Guy With A Chevy; 02-10-2024 at 06:45 AM.

Senior Tuner
    22psi at what rpm & temperature ?

I definitely made it worse with another 500 miles~ in the last week Listen to this should be better quality

https://youtube.com/shorts/SNKibrQ_-...aeyNKtP7RZ0IfM

This is close to what I saw showing 23.8psi a bit warm but not really has plenty of coolant and oil.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Guy With A Chevy; 02-10-2024 at 02:46 PM.

Tuning Addict
    There sounds like there's 2 different noises there. You definitely have a pushrod smack from something worn and then another higher frequency thumping noise that I swear sounds like a purge valve. If oil pressure has dropped it's either bearing or something else?

~Greg Huggins~