Thread: DOD Missfire

DOD Missfire

Did a DOD delete on a 16 l83. Put non DOD Lifters in and and turned off DOD and all the codes for it. But I have a slight miss on DOD cylinders at idle mostly. This is a Warranty company paid for job so we just put Lifters in. No plugs in the valley or cam just Lifters. Any ideas?

Yeah, this is an easy answer

You did it wrong. You can't just toss lifters in it because the cam lobes on the DoD cylinders are slightly different and you must replace the camshaft to prevent the misfire problem you just created.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyb6.0 View Post
    Did a DOD delete on a 16 l83. Put non DOD Lifters in and and turned off DOD and all the codes for it. But I have a slight miss on DOD cylinders at idle mostly. This is a Warranty company paid for job so we just put Lifters in. No plugs in the valley or cam just Lifters. Any ideas?
    Make sure to swap the trays with non-dod trays as the lifters will also not sit correctly during operation if you use the stock DOD trays. Did you check lifter preload? No discrepancies in length?

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yeah, this is an easy answer

You did it wrong. You can't just toss lifters in it because the cam lobes on the DoD cylinders are slightly different and you must replace the camshaft to prevent the misfire problem you just created.
    Stupid question but what does cam lobe have to do with DOD Lifters and non DOD Lifters? Technically if I put DOD Lifters back in the DOD cylinders and turn DOD off it should run without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy With A Chevy View Post
    Make sure to swap the trays with non-dod trays as the lifters will also not sit correctly during operation if you use the stock DOD trays. Did you check lifter preload? No discrepancies in length?
    Definitely changed the trays. Nope same length and preload was good.

Senior Tuner
    Stupid question but what does cam lobe have to do with DOD Lifters and non DOD Lifters? Technically if I put DOD Lifters back in the DOD cylinders and turn DOD off it should run without issues.
    Cam lobes are different between DOD and NonDOD cylinders to take into account the differences in lifter design.

Yes you can tune out dod w/o replacing the counterparts. There is enough difference in the design that the computer even knew you did it differently. I learned this the hard way as well, be enlightened.

The lobes of the DOD cylinders on a DOD cam are not machined like the other cylinders. When you get it out measure them. I did this 2 years ago and cant quite remember the difference maybe .015? That same cam was worn to hell. I think they make the same stock non dod cams for most of the dod'd

The difference was on the base circle
    Last edited by Guy With A Chevy; 02-10-2024 at 06:33 AM.

Senior Tuner
    The first 3 minutes of this video describes what is different on the DOD cylinder's cam lobes.

Tuning Addict
    I like Powell Machine. Sent some customer's his way. Hard to find a good machine shop.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I like Powell Machine. Sent some customer's his way. Hard to find a good machine shop.
    You can really go down a rabbit hole on his YouTube channel.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    You can really go down a rabbit hole on his YouTube channel.
    I'm probably not following I've seen a few of his vids, but only half a dozen maybe, maybe more . It is hard to stop watching one once you start if that's what you meant? I like how he checks and goes into detail on things.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-10-2024 at 09:18 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC