Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to choose between the different tuning programs?

Tuner
    There are alot of people out there that love there old 454 vortecs and would rebuild the engine as many times as possible cauz they love there cars to death. (me)

I think Hptuners should dominate the market if they add the support for older vortecs if you know how to do the new stuff the old stuff should be easy
    i dont want to spend 500 buxs on a jet tuner for my car i rather spend 1000 buxs on a hp tuner for my vortec.

The older 2500 7.4L suburban are alot stronger then the new ones there very solid and unbreakable stiff ride.

Well anyways i cant wait until the support for the vortec comes out
    Thankss

I have a Wait4MePerformance tune on my 454 and it is an animal. Power is BRUTAL. Not the fastest thing on the planet, 6000#'s doesn't help that, but there is no end to the power. I put a 4000# trailer on before I tuned it and I hardly knew it was there, even at 65 mph. Just put it on cruise control in OD (you can do that on 4L80E's....) Towing in D was just plain a waste. I love the ride in my 99 K2500 454 Burb. Not too many wagon like SUV's can carry 3000# in the back. Not even the Excursion....

More or less the UI for Jet/TunerCat is what Wester's has (John at TC wrote it). But Wester's has some definitions that no one else has. Like Northstar Cadillac and 6.5L TD. They also have 96-97 Vortec support, again, no one else has that I can find.

And they charge $7200 for unlimited vehicles, from 96-present, including ALL future vehicles. That is quite tempting.

How much of the frills of EFILive and HPT do I NEED? Lets be real here, how much of a difference does the fancy stuff make? Being I can't SEE IT with HPT (no demo....) I can't speak for it. Being I don't have datalogs from EFILive I can't play with them.

I can see one feature that is nice on EFI Live, automatic VE and MAF table tuning.

With HPT and EFILive you can do custom OS, EFILive they are free, HPT they cost. Wester's I am not sure, I am asking for info on that. A friend of mine has a Ed Wright tune on his SC LS1 and it is a junk tune because it does not have a Custom OS, it is what I call a hack job. Trying to control a boosted engine with a 1 Bar MAP is a joke. It runs pig rich at cold start and most idle conditions. They just messed up the VE Tables and MAF tables to make it run.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    HPTuners was the first to have Auto VE...efilive was the first to put a catchy name with it...as for cost of our custom operating systems...they come free with our Gen 3 car/truck tunershop license which is cheaper than efilive so thats a mute point.

If your thinking about a Real Time Tuning solution in addition just keep in mind that our 1/2/3 bar custom Operating systems have it free whereas with efilive you'd need to purchase several separate pcm's...I believe there are 4 separate pcm's for full real time coverage...at $600 each + their roadrunner license of an additional $200 your talking about $2600 for full coverage on top of the efilive hardware/software...ours is included FREE with our custom operating systems.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Hmmm.... So you can do real time tuning with the stock PCM with HPT? How does that work? Is it a special OS that allows for it? So it then uses the laptop as the flash?

Again, that is a nice +1 feature of HPT.

Quote Originally Posted by n0dih
    Hmmm.... So you can do real time tuning with the stock PCM with HPT? How does that work? Is it a special OS that allows for it? So it then uses the laptop as the flash?

Again, that is a nice +1 feature of HPT.
    yes...you can do RTT with the stock PCM..

basically most of the LS1's and I believe a few other things have RTT incorperated into the OS enhancements
    1/2/3 bar and MAF enhanced OS's potentially have RTT...not 100% have it yet as some PCM's just dont have the internal space and memory to suport it

basically in the OS section of the VCM Editor you can "Apply" the Enhancements. then you write the OS to your PCM and start tuning...

once the OS is in your PCM...it functions like a normal OS would...
    when you have the laptop connected to your MPVI interface then you can control certain parameters and do real time tuning
    -Scott -

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    about 95% of our custom operating systems include Real Time tuning at no extra charge. There are a few late model lsx based pcm's that just don't have the extra room for it in the PCM, but its definitly a very nice feature...I use it on pretty much every 99+ lsx based pcm...that means the 4.3lt v6's, 4.8 v8's, 5.3 v8's, 5.7 v8's, 6.0 gen 3 v8's, & 8.1ltr v8's have RTT available to them...you can read more about how it works here http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_editor_rtt.htm

again its a free enhancement thats included with our custom operating systems.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Any progress on a demo version of the program?