Thread: Hellcat Tuning - Requested AFR - 2.85 Pulley 91

Hellcat Tuning - Requested AFR - 2.85 Pulley 91

Hi All,

Hopefully somebody is able to help me!

Been doing some WOT pulls and taking some logs recently. I seem to have broken a ringland today (cylinder 1), I was logging at the same time.

Requested lambda at WOT is 0.8 (usually!). Did some pulls, no issues, bit of timing retard due to knock (fuel quality in Qatar is pretty poor at times). The next pull I did, all is the same however requested lambda is 1, so with boost pressure at 16 psi its nowhere near ideal. The ringland looks to have cracked at around 4500rpm.

Anybody have any idea why the requested lambda was 1 even though it should be 0.8?

I've attached my tune - hopefully somebody can have a look and see if there's anything obvious.

Car is a 2015 challenger hellcat
    FI Interchiller
    2.85 pulley
    ID1050s
    BAP
    All other normal supporting mods.

Stock block, although soon to be forged pistons - don't want this happening again!

I've added the log where the failure happened (second log) - failure was obvious when there was a loud noise from the engine and it started misfiring after that - that was at 6.22 on the timeline.

First log added just for comparison. Intake temps high for all of it (charger coolant stopped working due to reported low level). Should have noticed and not done a WOT pull! Done now. But for future, anyone know why the requested lambda was 1 instead of 0.8 on that last pull? Im guessing that if the fuelling was right, my engine would still be fine.

Thanks

Lewis
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
    Hi All,

Hopefully somebody is able to help me!

Been doing some WOT pulls and taking some logs recently. I seem to have broken a ringland today (cylinder 1), I was logging at the same time.

Requested lambda at WOT is 0.8 (usually!). Did some pulls, no issues, bit of timing retard due to knock (fuel quality in Qatar is pretty poor at times). The next pull I did, all is the same however requested lambda is 1, so with boost pressure at 16 psi its nowhere near ideal. The ringland looks to have cracked at around 4500rpm.

Anybody have any idea why the requested lambda was 1 even though it should be 0.8?

I've attached my tune - hopefully somebody can have a look and see if there's anything obvious.

Car is a 2015 challenger hellcat
    FI Interchiller
    2.85 pulley
    ID1050s
    BAP
    All other normal supporting mods.

Stock block, although soon to be forged pistons - don't want this happening again!

I've added the log where the failure happened (second log) - failure was obvious when there was a loud noise from the engine and it started misfiring after that - that was at 6.22 on the timeline.

First log added just for comparison. Intake temps high for all of it (charger coolant stopped working due to reported low level). Should have noticed and not done a WOT pull! Done now. But for future, anyone know why the requested lambda was 1 instead of 0.8 on that last pull? Im guessing that if the fuelling was right, my engine would still be fine.

Thanks

Lewis
    Hello!
    You have a lot of room for improvement in your tune (engine and transmission):
    - (Yellow circle): Why upshift at ~5200rpms at WOT?
    - (White circle): it should be 0.8 way earlier than it did (first and second shifts at WOT)

Changing FA Power Enrich (ECM - 34230), Airflow (ECM - 44273), timing and shift schedule would help a lot (example of parameters/tables to be changed).
    Screenshot 2024-02-11 084435.png

Thanks.
    DodgeBoy.
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@dodgeboy2785

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeBoy_8HP View Post
    Hello!
    You have a lot of room for improvement in your tune (engine and transmission):
    - (Yellow circle): Why upshift at ~5200rpms at WOT?
    - (White circle): it should be 0.8 way earlier than it did (first and second shifts at WOT)

Changing FA Power Enrich (ECM - 34230), Airflow (ECM - 44273), timing and shift schedule would help a lot (example of parameters/tables to be changed).
    Screenshot 2024-02-11 084435.png

Thanks.
    DodgeBoy.
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@dodgeboy2785
    Thanks man, really appreciate the help.

I'll be honest I've started off with a pretty poor quality tune from a local guy here, and tried to clean things up a bit (All injector related values were wrong).

In your opinion, would I be better off just paying somebody else like 1320, DH, barth etc for a new tune (engine and transmission)? Or do you offer support for some $? Please PM me if that's an option. I'm all for doing things by myself and learning more and more but this is the second piston I'll need to replace, so would ideally start with a good tune to begin with!

I'll go have a look at what you mentioned initially anyway. To answer your question the shift at 5200rpm was just an anomaly, me with the paddles, usually ill just have it in auto and let it do its thing.

Thanks again.
    Lewis

2015 Challenger Hellcat, Widebody, 315s all round, 2.85 Pulley, FI interchiller, BMR icebox, ID1050s, ported charger and fuel rail, BAP, 180 stat, Water methanol injection etc etc

Based in Qatar

Tuner
    Thanks man, really appreciate the help.

I'll be honest I've started off with a pretty poor quality tune from a local guy here, and tried to clean things up a bit (All injector related values were wrong).

In your opinion, would I be better off just paying somebody else like 1320, DH, barth etc for a new tune (engine and transmission)? Or do you offer support for some $? Please PM me if that's an option. I'm all for doing things by myself and learning more and more but this is the second piston I'll need to replace, so would ideally start with a good tune to begin with!

I'll go have a look at what you mentioned initially anyway. To answer your question the shift at 5200rpm was just an anomaly, me with the paddles, usually ill just have it in auto and let it do its thing.

Thanks again.
    My pleasure to support! Yes, I do offer support for engine and transmission tune.

I just sent you a PM.

My email: [email protected]

Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    I've added the log where the failure happened (second log)

- that was at 6.22 on the timeline.
    6.2 in on a 2.5 min log?

did you scope it or did it blow the pc of land out the pipe on the dyno or how you know it broke?

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    6.2 in on a 2.5 min log?

did you scope it or did it blow the pc of land out the pipe on the dyno or how you know it broke?
    Yeah my bad - 6.22 was the actual time like 6.22pm. It's 2.06 mins into the log where it failed. Looks like its something to do with the pedal % that corresponds to WOT. Tuning issue for sure.

And yeah confirmed, had a scope down it, ringland failure, taking the head off tomorrow. The ceramic from the plug is also missing so could have done more damage. Will know tomorrow!
    Lewis

2015 Challenger Hellcat, Widebody, 315s all round, 2.85 Pulley, FI interchiller, BMR icebox, ID1050s, ported charger and fuel rail, BAP, 180 stat, Water methanol injection etc etc

Based in Qatar

Tuner
    Yeah my bad - 6.22 was the actual time like 6.22pm. It's 2.06 mins into the log where it failed. Looks like its something to do with the pedal % that corresponds to WOT. Tuning issue for sure.

And yeah confirmed, had a scope down it, ringland failure, taking the head off tomorrow. The ceramic from the plug is also missing so could have done more damage. Will know tomorrow!
    Any update?