Thread: Gen 4 Pickup 6L80 Longevity Tuning - Anyone willing to share tuning paremeters?

Tuner in Training

Gen 4 Pickup 6L80 Longevity Tuning - Anyone willing to share tuning paremeters?

Hello!

I have a couple Gen4 Silverado 1500s id like to make some transmission paremeter changes to converter strategy, and wondering if anyone is willing to share their changes, and how you like to response to the change?

Both trucks still have GM converters with woven linings, both low miles, so im not looking to increase lockup pressures, just looking to get it in the converter in higher gears in attempt to smooth out the lower gears and add some longevity to the converter itself.

Thank you for any input you may have!

Senior Tuner
    bluecat

Senior Tuner
    Disable lockup completely in gears 1-4. Lockup in 5th at 50 mph and up, disable lockup at 47 mph and down, lockup in 6th at 60 mph and up, disable lockup at 57 mph and down. Zero TCC slip.

Advanced Tuner
    Zero TCC slip is by far the fix for the 6l80e problems with converters.
    2008 Denali XL AWD LSA Blower
    2010 CTS-V
    2005 LLY Duramax SAS
    2015 Denali

Senior Tuner
    Even when set to zero slip they sill still slip a few rpm.

Potential Tuner
    I asked some similar questions recently and TransGo Robert said that zeroing out the TCC slip is not a good idea for a stock converter:

As for making it not slip the converter clutch in 5th and 6th that's mostly only good for aftermarket converter that don't use the GM woven carbon lining and so prone to shudder. The carbon woven lining is very brittle and designed to slip without wearing out, but it is super brittle . the extra pressure required to make it not slip and the increase rate of apply is hard on it and it often will crack and lose chunks of it causing the TCC to start slipping after many thousandths of mile with this modification. Eliminating lock up in 1-2-3-4 is not going to hurt anything, but I would not recommend increasing the pressure to stop it from slipping the 20 or so RPM factory programing does.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post766359

Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    bluecat
    [/QUOTE]Disable lockup completely in gears 1-4. Lockup in 5th at 50 mph and up, disable lockup at 47 mph and down, lockup in 6th at 60 mph and up, disable lockup at 57 mph and down. Zero TCC slip. [/QUOTE]

Both of these. Bluecat fixes the shifts and makes it live longer without jarring your teeth loose on a shift. 1-4 disable saves the crap out of the converter. I am also a fan of not reducing slip to zero. TransGo Robert knows what he is talking about.

Tuner in Training
    Do you use 50 across the throttle table, or tagger/smooth it? Same with 6th and 60?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Ryan View Post
    Do you use 50 across the throttle table, or tagger/smooth it? Same with 6th and 60?
    5th, any value less than 50 change to 50, 6th, any value less than 60 change to 60. Same with the unlock values. the other higher values I leave alone. I do every table that is populated with sane values. Some will already be set to 318 lock, 317 unlock. That is what you use in the lower gears to keep it unlocked. I do the D1 and D2 tables too.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Even when set to zero slip they sill still slip a few rpm.
    I found that even when commanding 0 slip, and IF it hit 0 slip and I continued to hold dead steady load/throttle, the TCM would start ticking down the TCC pressure until it began to slip again, then would veeerrry slowly start ticking the pressure back up to try and approach zero slip again. Meanwhile, you are ever so slightly changing the throttle to drive with traffic, or a change in grade, and the TCC pressure is going up/down/all over the place trying to chase the moving target which it never gets to.

I get what TransGo Robert says, and now need to revisit mine as I did what he said is not good, increased pressure. But if you don’t mess with pressures, and based on what I see as mentioned above, I am doubtful that ONLY changing desired slip to zero ( no pressure changes) would be detrimental. The f’er slips all over the freaking place anyways, lol.

Senior Tuner
    Have a good look. Just because you are 758kpa on the TCC solenoid doesn't mean it's getting full pressure.

Senior Tuner
    This has been working well for me lately.