Thread: E78 Crank relearn issues

Potential Tuner

E78 Crank relearn issues

I apologize if this has been covered and I couldn't find it in my searching. I swapped a 2014 6.0 into my 95 chevy k2500 a couple years back, it runs fine except for one thing at this point, the engine rev is limited to 3500 rpm. I believe this is due to a crank relearn issue but I haven't been able to get the relearn process to take using hp tuners, autel, or a mac tool scan tool.The error says "conditions not met" and fails relearn, the crank sensor is the only error code in scan currently. I've seen a thread suggesting replacing the ecm with an e38, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

P0315 is not the cause of limited RPM/throttle, that code is 'information only', there are no actions taken when it's set.

Swap vehicles rarely have all the inputs that it needs to see before it will enable the relearn. You need a service manual, look up all the conditions that need to be met to enable (brake applied before IGN on, the right kind of brake switch wired up the right way, an input from the park brake, etc.).

Potential Tuner
    I've been chasing the wrong thing then, bad assumption. I do have the fake bpp and a few others to meet conditions right up until the learn, then it cycles into learning blank screen and comes back error. Any ideas what would cause the rev limit then? I do have the 158mph error since my vss doesn't match the ecm. Should I link the tune? I think I had adjusted the top speed to compensate, but am not the most savvy sometimes and miss things. Much appreciated.

Are you asking if you should post your tune (and a log file)? Do I need to link to the 'sticky' threads that tell you if you want help with an issue post your tune and log files?

Potential Tuner
    Looks like my only Log file is 3 years old, I'll have to do one of those tomorrow

[ATTACH]142923
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just in case you've never heard this before, an auto trans ECM is still going to expect inputs from a TCM even if the TCM is deleted and the dropdown changed to 'Manual'. That dropdown changes absolutely nothing about how the ECM works way deep down underneath the top-surface things you can see in the Editor.

Potential Tuner
    Makes sense, the opinion I saw posted about swapping to an ECU like an E38 that came factory with the 6.0, VVT, and a manual trans had some appeal for sure. I think at this point my biggest mistake was not finding a donor vehicle and swapping more of the vehicle wiring and control, so much I simply didn't realize when I bought the engine and ecu as a standalone. I was going through the fuel cutoff settings again last night, had a glimmer of fake hope for a few minutes.

I suspect that the service manual section for the crank relearn doesn't list 'Vehicle speed must be 0 MPH' because that's not a condition that normally couldn't not be already met, seeing as one of the conditions is park brake must be applied.

Your RPM limiting is probably something to do with the auto trans ECM expecting to get an OK signal from a TCM for the transmission abuse mode.

Tuner
    Look for [ECM] 12836 table.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Potential Tuner
    Verlon, thank you. I see what I was missing, I know I read that table at some point and did not grasp it, my engine is no longer capped at 4000rpm. Thank you.