Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 1 2013 Tahoe 6.0

Tuner in Training

Day 1 2013 Tahoe 6.0

New to everything vehicle computer / tuner related.

I have a 2013 Tahoe that ruined the 5.3 in 2020 due to the AFM system failure. In a quest to get better power and eliminate the AFM, I swapped in a 6.0 from a 2013 2500 Silverado. I thought that due to the similarities of the LS family this would be a straight forward conversion, but its been a bit of a struggle. I had a company in Texas program the E38 computer which made the engine run poorly and had the engine light on all the time. I sent it back and they tried again, it got slightly better, but not acceptable. When I tried to send it back a third time they were out of business and nowhere to be found.

I had a local (Central VA) tech with HPTuners look into the computer, he found some issues and got the engine to run OK. The truck has since had 15K miles put on it including towing and long trips. He did not have more time to spend with it and I realized that if I wanted my truck to run great I was going to have to get HP tuner software and figure it out.

Now I have MPVI3 and I have hooked up to the truck and watched live data. The truck drives well enough to get the job done but it is far from having the authority that a 6.0 should have. The Idle is terrible at startup and takes about 60 seconds to smooth out. At RPM's below 4000 the truck drives like its breathing thru a straw.

I think the first place I need start is saving the current configuration data. Could someone help me thru these initial steps?

Senior Tuner
    https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Ed...ditor/home.htm for basics of reading/writing the tune file.

Need to add a tune file and a log file. You should be able to find a channel list for gen 4 on here to use as a starting point for the log.

Need to say which parts were used from which engine plus anything else changed. Especially what injectors. Just saying stock isn't good enough.

Tuner in Training
    Agreed stock is insufficient terminology. The 6.0 was complete intake to oil pan. I will research specifics like fuel injectors, as the need presents itself. The 6L80 transmission and everything else original to the Tahoe. I think I saved and attached the tune file correctly please advise if it is visible.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Injector data is the foundation the rest of the tune is built on, that''s the first thing to get set up right, not a thing you can just put off until later. Change it later and everything you did up to then has to be thrown in the trash.

Tuner in Training
    The fuel injectors on my 6.0 are PN 12613412 other numbers on them 5033A and RB4. I dont know if the 6.0 would run on the 5.3 injectors, but if it would, and it would make my tuning life easier I have the fuel injectors from the original 5.3.

Only the flow rate had been changed to L96, all the rest of it was still LMG stuff.

Tuner in Training
    When trying to use parameters from a repository tune, the file cannot be loaded unless I have a license for that tune, correct? The repository tune can be viewed and compared and my tune file updated to match, is this a cell by cell update or is there a more efficient way?

Tuner
    open your tune in HPtuners; then open the repository tune as a comparison tune. Now open the comparison log. In the log go from item to item and chose copy over difference if you prefer the repository data. Note: you can toggle from main file to comparison file to differences with the three icons in the header. You can also simply copy over everything with the right choice in the comparison log. Good Luck.

Tuner in Training
    With the help from the contributors of this thread and info from a repository tune my truck is running fantastic. Please see my current tune and advise if I may be overlooking some beneficial adjustment points.2013 Tahoe 6.0 L96 E38 T43 1GNSKBE05DR339868 - 12613412 (rev 1 good).hpt

Senior Tuner
    No one can really tell how its running from the tune. Needs the log unless it’s buried in that run on sentence of a file name.

You are not using the file I gave you - the Offset vs Press vs IGNV table is not correct. Short Pulse Adder table also. Just flash the file I gave you that has ALL the L96 injector data already in it. It's your file that you posted that you already have a license for, with just the injector data updated.
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 03-18-2024 at 07:12 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I dont see where the fuel data chart is. When I compared the original file with the same file with injector dat you added. I couldn't see differences in compare. There seems to be about 100 new acronyms I need to learn. Do you know if there's an acronym library in this forum?

Open your file. Click 'Compare > Open Compare File', select the file I did for you in post #6. Any differences will be shown in green.

screenshot.19-03-2024 17.52.42.png

You aren't still stuck in 'Basic' view or something which hides about 90% of the controls, are you? (Edit > View: Basic/Advanced)

Tuner in Training
    Thank you had no idea about advanced. Now I have a lot more items to compare. My original file that you modified with the correct injectors has a very smooth startup and idle. The file I had in before with the long name had a seat of the pants power feel, it would easily break the rear tires loose (something this truck has never done before). Hopefully I can merge the start up idle qualities of your tune into the powerful feeling tune. Learning more stuff every day.

I didn't change anything at all in your file other than the injector data. This is "2013 Tahoe 6.0 initial tune 2-17-24.hpt" vs. "2013 Tahoe 6.0 initial tune 2-17-24 - L96 injector data.hpt". There is a bunch of stuff changed between your first file you posted and the most recent one, if anything changed that gave it less power or whatever it's somewhere in the changes you made for whatever reasons.

screenshot.19-03-2024 19.18.48.png

Open whatever file you have that works good, open my file with correct injector data as 'Compare', go to 'Compare > View Comparison Log' and copy over ONLY the line for Injector Control.

screenshot.19-03-2024 19.24.12.png

(and by the way, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the things you changed were just done at random with no basis of fact behind them, I mean, seeing as how right up until 3 minutes ago you were still in 'Basic' mode.)

Tuner in Training
    The initial file was a mix of the Texas tuner co. and a local tech that knew enough to keep the check engine light off. The file I used that had good power was a repository tune that had all the feature of my truck 6.0/E38/T43 and fuel injectors 12613412. Seemed like a good place to start. As far as the name length I followed the example of the repository tune with the addition of my large tire size so I could keep track of where I was at.
    In short I haven't made any off the cuff changes, I've only been putting in tunes that others like you have provided. The attached file with the long name has the best power, so far. I don't know why, but I'm trying to understand. The biggest problem with 3 most recent tunes is the initial idle/startup smoothness. I saw that some one posted a procedure for tuning the idle.2010 Yukon 6.0 L96 E38 T43 1GKZKREG0AR189018 - 12613412.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Tuning is not selecting the correct tune and writing it. It will take tweaking to get it correct.