Thread: Help Understanding Injector Pulse Width 2014 Ford Raptor

Tuner in Training

Help Understanding Injector Pulse Width 2014 Ford Raptor

Long story, i'll make it short. I just bought this truck 4 months ago, I installed a new to me motor that turned out to be built and running 11:1 compression. The truck has 172k miles on it, and a lot of deferred maintenance ("new" motor has 60k miles). I'm working through the bugs, so there are a lot of unknowns.

It has New Ford front O2 sensors, so i'm confident my readings are accurate.

It has a custom tune from a company up in Michigan, i purchased it for my SCT to get the truck on the road. The tuning is just not there, so i purchased HP Tuners so I can do my own work. That being said, I think i have a mechanical issue with the truck yet.

The guy who tuned the truck is well known for tuning these things with mods, I just can't imagine his tuning would be this far off (biggest mods are increase CR, headers, and Cold air intake using the stock MAF and a housing that should be very close to stock size).

Anyway, as i was digging through the data, it appears the values HP Scanner is providing for Injector Pulse Width is extremely low. Can someone take a look at the below log file:
    1. I don't think the Pulse width is correct, maybe off by a factor of 10
    2. Maybe you guys see something that stands out for why my LTFT's are so high. I have a fuel pump on order thinking my pump may not be keeping up . . . but when i calculate the Injector Duty Cycle with these numbers it is super low.

Thanks so much for the help!

24-02-17 14-03-49.hpl
    - Brad
    2014 F150 Raptor
    6.2- 11:1 Compression, Long Tube Headers w/Cats, Volant Cold Air Intake, 180* thermostat.

Advanced Tuner
    Posting a tune would help. Also verify the data in the tune matches the injectors in the truck.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, I didn't think the tune file would be valuable, its not actually my tune but one that was purchased. I'm planning to start my own tune from my stock file, but i need to know a couple things:
    1. What channels in the scanner I can use to tune against as the injector pulse width value doesn't make sense.
    2. Have i fixed all the mechanical issues on my truck. There is no point in tuning an engine that isn't running correctly yet.

Like i said, this was a used motor. I was expecting it to be stock and was very surprised to see it had pistons and rods when i pulled the pan. But i want to make sure i have sorted out all the system issues and am starting with a solid baseline. I have tuned on SCT for ford's diesels for a very long time, but this is my first go with HP Tuners on an older ford gas. I want to make sure i fully understand everything before i begin tuning.

Thanks so much!

HighComp_Tune.hpt
    - Brad
    2014 F150 Raptor
    6.2- 11:1 Compression, Long Tube Headers w/Cats, Volant Cold Air Intake, 180* thermostat.

Tuner in Training
    Here is also a run yesterday in the rain, i was testing out the new full time 4 wheel drive transfer case, but i had a run from low speed at near full throttle. It has a lot of knock retard going on so i know i need to address that as well.

2-18_wet-run.hpl
    - Brad
    2014 F150 Raptor

Tuner in Training
    Oh, and injectors are stock. When i first saw the deviation in trim bank 1 vs bank 2 I swapped to another set of stock injectors i had to see if it would go away, but it made zero difference.
    - Brad
    2014 F150 Raptor

Advanced Tuner
    Nothing in the tune is really popping out, it is kind of a generic off the shelf tune.

Tuning out the LTFT should be easy enough, does the volant have a larger than stock MAF housing? If so do the math to figure out the change in area and multiply your entire MAF table as a start. There is nothing done in your MAF calibration tables, they are stock. Start with maf tuning and see how it drives after that. Or stick your stock airbox back on and see how it reacts. It is a lot easier to tune one thing at a time, so putting the stock intake back in would allow you to dial in the rest of the truck, then switch back when you are happy with everything else.

These run knock retard all the time, even cruising down the highway stock, on premium fuel. About the only way you are going to get it to go away is switch to E85. I doubt the higher compression helped with that. If you have E85 available it is worth while to set up flex fuel and run it, it will be safer and make a little more power, especially with the higher compression ratio. And with flex fuel, if you end up somewhere without E85 you can run premium without changing the tune. You are going to be stuck running the best gasoline you can with the high CR.

I have no answer as to why the injector pulsewidth is low. Try logging injector duty cycle if it will allow you to. You aren't showing a big lean problem or anything like that, I think your analysis of the data being off is probably correct.

On the long tubes, you are running stock transport delay, basically there is no tuning done for the long tubes.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome, thanks so much for the help!

I will take some measurements on the MAF size and swap the stock one back to see if it makes a diff (this one replaces teh overflow/degas bottle, so i won't be able to fully reinstall it, but i should be able to get it back enough to verify the results.)

I was noticing there wasn't any work done to the O2 sensors for the long tubes and it seemed most of the values were pretty basic (and maybe shouldn't have been touched at all, like the borderline knock table . . . especially with the CR). I'll do some research into the transport delay for long tubes and make that adjustment too.

I now understand my starting point and have a good strategy to get this tune worked out. I also have a fuel pressure gauge coming just to verify i have a good fuel pump . .. thats about the only unknown at this point.

I will let you know how it works out, and then i'll make the Flex Fuel change once i have all the initial tuning issues sorted out.

Thanks again, I cant say how much you've helped!
    - Brad
    2014 F150 Raptor

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have a stock file ? Distance tables look weird.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_91 View Post
    Do you have a stock file ? Distance tables look weird.
    Yes, i do have a stock file.

Can you help me understand what looks off with the Distance Tables? Only asking because I want to learn, not because i'm questioning your comment.
    - Brad
    2014 F150 Raptor

Advanced Tuner
    The tune is only using a few mapped points. Most are disabled, was just curious on why and wanted to compare a stock file to it. Im not super familiar with those years but the 6.2 was not supercharged and it comes with IMRCs stock right? looks like yours are locked out, which is fine but puts a piece of the puzzle together too.

Tuner in Training
    The raptors don't have the IMRC's, and i think they only use a few of the map points in contrast to the coyote . . . i believe that is because we have a single overhead cam so both exhaust and intake are controlled by a single phaser. But, that may be incorrect as i'm just starting to learn these motors . .. back when i was tuning diesels, we didn't really have map points to say, we had load/temp tables, we also didn't have variable cam timing.

I have attached my stock file for reference.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - Brad
    2014 F150 Raptor

Advanced Tuner
    Yes you're correct they're SOHC engines but I was just curious if the stock tune had more mapped points enabled compared to yours that's all. Looks like the KR only happens in MP0. You can go in your log and find where it sees knock, look at the load and rpm and find the RPM vs Load in the borderline mapped point 0 and decrease the spark by 7 degrees or more in that area that is experiencing the knock to see if that gets rid of the KR. Other than that, disable your long terms and fix your MAF curve. Needs some work. Should run much better once you get the MAF curve dialed in

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_91 View Post
    Yes you're correct they're SOHC engines but I was just curious if the stock tune had more mapped points enabled compared to yours that's all. Looks like the KR only happens in MP0. You can go in your log and find where it sees knock, look at the load and rpm and find the RPM vs Load in the borderline mapped point 0 and decrease the spark by 7 degrees or more in that area that is experiencing the knock to see if that gets rid of the KR. Other than that, disable your long terms and fix your MAF curve. Needs some work. Should run much better once you get the MAF curve dialed in
    Awesome, thanks so much! I'm actually reading up on calibrating the MAF right now. All the fun begins tonight lol.
    - Brad
    2014 F150 Raptor