Thread: 2011 f-350 6.7 boost lag and smoke

Potential Tuner

2011 f-350 6.7 boost lag and smoke

I have a 2011 F-250 6.7 with a 2017 style KC stage 2 turbo. I have been trying to eliminate some boost lag and black smoke on take off and when trying to pass at freeway speeds. What have you guys had luck with to help spool a bigger turbo? I am new to diesel tuning, so still trying to learn as I go. Also is there a reason for when I change vein position at idle in Mono Turbo Mode - Upper Limit that it doesn't match up with what I have set it to? I have it set at 100% and it sits at 40ish. I started at 30% in the tune but it was showing 9 in a datalog. I ramped it up in increments in my tune, and every time the actual would go up. Just not in proportion to the tune.

Post your tune so we can see it

Or your smoke: I use lambda limiters most of the time. You could add some timing to get the combustion process to start a little earlier which helps with smoke but I would like to see the tune before we rule that in so we aren?t adding to much.

Turbo vane position: have you adjusted desired boost at all? If your asking for X amount of vane percentage but your desired boost is already at what your asking vane position will stay where it?s happy.

Potential Tuner
    I have not adjusted desired boost yet. I will try that. Here is my tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Give this a whirl...A lot of your tuning is still in the old 2011-2014 turbo world. I used the Comparison Log function between your file and the one I run to import the changes I made to my 2013 ECM when I put upgrade to a 2019 turbo. Vane positions updated, lambda limiters, timing is a little lower, left the pulsewidth table stock and put in extra fueling in the demand tables instead. The mileage gauge on mine is within 1-2% of hand calcs. You may have to tweak the turbo boost and vane tables to get more out of it. I'm not familiar with what the KC Stage 2 does over the 2015+ turbos.

I didn't change your trans tuning, but you may have to adjust shift points and quality.

I'd suggest using the compare function and look at changes between the 2015+ files so you don't go too crazy. Also, don't change too many parameters at once.

This is what I use as an everyday tune and I tow 18-20k with it. The EGTs stay in check when measured at the manifold.

6.7 STG2 TURBO WHISTLE - 2015+ turbo changes.hpt

I have attached 2 tunes for you to try. They both operate on the same fueling/timing/air as the 2015-2016. V1.1 has some lambda changes, which should help with response. I would imagine that it should be a step-up from what you are running currently. Also, I have made both tunes, hiss tunes. Try out each and let me know how it goes. It would be great if you can grab some data logs, log things like timing, desired boost, actual boost, exhaust backpressure, maf, coolant temp, fuel temp, the more things the better.

you won't succeed
    your file is not original
    has tuning and some deletions
    file was edited in raw binary format
    therefore many maps and limiters are not available in vcm editor

GM FORD DODGE
    custom xdf for hpt

Quote Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
    Give this a whirl...A lot of your tuning is still in the old 2011-2014 turbo world. I used the Comparison Log function between your file and the one I run to import the changes I made to my 2013 ECM when I put upgrade to a 2019 turbo. Vane positions updated, lambda limiters, timing is a little lower, left the pulsewidth table stock and put in extra fueling in the demand tables instead. The mileage gauge on mine is within 1-2% of hand calcs. You may have to tweak the turbo boost and vane tables to get more out of it. I'm not familiar with what the KC Stage 2 does over the 2015+ turbos.

I didn't change your trans tuning, but you may have to adjust shift points and quality.

I'd suggest using the compare function and look at changes between the 2015+ files so you don't go too crazy. Also, don't change too many parameters at once.

This is what I use as an everyday tune and I tow 18-20k with it. The EGTs stay in check when measured at the manifold.

6.7 STG2 TURBO WHISTLE - 2015+ turbo changes.hpt
    Jetskier, if you want, try out the tunes that I posted for Tanner. If you do, let me know how it goes.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad0407 View Post
    I have attached 2 tunes for you to try. They both operate on the same fueling/timing/air as the 2015-2016. V1.1 has some lambda changes, which should help with response. I would imagine that it should be a step-up from what you are running currently. Also, I have made both tunes, hiss tunes. Try out each and let me know how it goes. It would be great if you can grab some data logs, log things like timing, desired boost, actual boost, exhaust backpressure, maf, coolant temp, fuel temp, the more things the better.
    I will attach a couple of logs from V1.0. It definitely has less lag on take off and very manageable smoke. Power seems to be very comparable to before. It seems as if the power rolls in instead of before it would lag and then blow the tires off as soon as the turbo lit. There is a decent lag in power if I roll into the throttle at 50. I will post a log of that as well. I'm going to run this tune more tomorrow and then try v1.1. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tannerwuollet View Post
    I will attach a couple of logs from V1.0. It definitely has less lag on take off and very manageable smoke. Power seems to be very comparable to before. It seems as if the power rolls in instead of before it would lag and then blow the tires off as soon as the turbo lit. There is a decent lag in power if I roll into the throttle at 50. I will post a log of that as well. I'm going to run this tune more tomorrow and then try v1.1. Thanks!
    Nice. Looking at the logs, I can tell that we are running into lambda limiters which is hurting response. On the top end we are not getting full fuel due to lambda also. Definitely try the 1.1 as the lambda is changed in that one. We work in small increments in the lambda table to get full fuel, I set v1.0 to stock lambda which is obviously clean for emissions on purposes. I would try to log more things, such as calculated engine torque as well, so we know where we stand in terms of fueling, air, etc in the tables.

Potential Tuner
    I might be doing something wrong, but I cant log calculated engine torque. I have tried all the pids under load and torque and they all either show 0 or 1032 ft lbs.