Thread: Flow Factor - what's the verdict on using this to tune MAF and VVE simultaneously?

Flow Factor - what's the verdict on using this to tune MAF and VVE simultaneously?

I just came across this GRG video from 2 years ago. I searched in this forum but couldn't find anything. Has anyone replicated this method, and how well did it work for you?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoXTmdTQkpE

I have to say it doesn't make sense to me. If I understand correctly, he's trying to solve this equation: (1-FlowFactor)*MAF_error + FlowFactor*VE_error = total fuel trim

FlowFactor and fuel trim are known, but that still leaves one equation with two unknowns (not enough information to solve).

I think it also inherently assumes the MAF and VE errors occur in the same direction (both positive or both negative). But consider this scenario:
    - Flow Factor = 50%
    - measured fuel trim = +3%
    - actual VVE error = +8%
    - actual MAF error = -2%
    In this scenario, wouldn't this method push the MAF error further into the negative?

This post from Cringer is what sent me down this rabbit hole in the first place:

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post744014

Advanced Tuner
    If it seems like it makes no sense, that's because it doesn't. Guy chose a random variable in the scanner, conjured up a hypothesis about how it worked and then etched that misinformation nonsense into history by making a YouTube video out of it. The parameter in question has nothing to do with airflow calibration...don't believe everything you see in a tooner how-to video...

I can't get that Channel to populate on my car. I tried, but it's not supported.

Unless I'm missing something in my Scanner, I've used smoke's method since he shared it, and have had great success. I've tried to use Cringer's method and I'm not sure it's any better, but I have a pretty simple combination, so don't take my word. My MAF/Dyn/VVE all align (until VVE and MAF max' out, lol) for where I've been able to gather data. I'm just a guy that plays on his own cars.

Tuner in Training
    you need to visit the SILVER SURFER you tube channel he's very informative about your exact question its well worth looking into

Yep, I've just been using Cringer's DynAir formulas. I started out using his VVE Assistant tool too, but have since decided I prefer to simply make averaged changes on a per-zone basis.

Tuning Addict
    On gen V's using dynamic can cause problems or at least it was for me, but my customers usually also want OE drivability. The whole reason I stopped using it was because it was throwing off the decel fueling zones of the VE table which was causing throttle issues. I couldn't figure out a way to filter out decel without losing a ton of the lower VE region worth of data, otherwise it would have worked just fine. GM on the newer gen V platforms uses the MAF to correct the VE tables as an applied correction factor, so even though it does max out on the bigger hp applications because of hpt's scanner limits, I went back to doing it that way - basically just making the VE match the MAF. AND don't get me wrong, all of Cringer's stuff is greatly appreciated, I just couldn't use the dynamic formula on gen V's once I started making everything else closer to OE levels especially via correcting the torque models in particular back to as close to stock drivability as possible.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 1 Week Ago at 02:08 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC