Thread: help with setting up tune

Potential Tuner

help with setting up tune- updated info

Hi, looking for help with a first time setup.
    2008 Chev Silverado 5.3l flex fuel vin code 3 DOD

engine is freshly rebuilt with a LS9 camshaft, matching springs retainers etc.
    dod has been deleted with BTR kit
    LSA CTSV injectors
    single 67mm turbocharger
    2 bar map part #12615136 superseded to GM#19418810
    cats deleted and only running primary factory O2 sensors
    factory e38 ECM
    Factory MAF on inlet to Turbocharger

i started the truck up with the stock tune and engine ran. Cycled engine through a heat cycle and verified engine runs up to operating temp no issues other than throttle was lazy.

downloaded OE tune and performed OS upgrade/patch to 2 bar sensor. Also turned of DOD. Now engine will start and attempt to run but will stall out. will not stay running.

I noticed that KOEO that the Map sensor is reading 174kPa

My tuner guy is unavailable until late march who is going to help me with the tune. But i would like to at least get it running or even start on the tune so that I can move it around the shop.

is there something simple i am missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by D Miller; 03-01-2024 at 04:05 PM. Reason: posted tune and log

Post the tune file.

I will say this, get different injectors. Those LSA injectors are made for the LSA supercharger only. The spray pattern is not made for a truck intake.

Applying the 2 bar OS creates 3 new VE tables, those must be populated with data for the engine to run and you need to input the injector data for those injectors even though you will need to get different ones.

Also the MAP sensors linear and offset settings need to be correct for that sensor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I wasn't aware of the injector issue. What size/ brand would you recommend?

Where would i get the data for the VE tables and how do i input the injector data?

MAP Linear and offsets are set at 200 kPa and 8 kPa. that automatically changed as soon as I rewrote with the 2 bar patch

Potential Tuner
    Update:

I copied the OEM tune VVE table and installed it to the Main VE IMCR open and closed tables.

I updated the flow rate vs pressure injector settings 52lb/hr across the whole scale

engine now runs and seems ok . ST fuel trim is high at an idle (+25) will need to work on that

Engine will run until it reaches 91'c engine coolant temp and then will start to surge and stall and not restart

ABS and Traction control faults will set when it surges and engine will stall and not restart.

i will log condition after work today.

i have attached current tune file.

any input or help would be appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    update #2

Correction LT fuel trim is high not ST fuel trim

correction ECT is approx 71'c

surge and stall occur at 19:37 on logged file

attached logged file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner

upadted thread any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Post the tune file.

I will say this, get different injectors. Those LSA injectors are made for the LSA supercharger only. The spray pattern is not made for a truck intake.

Applying the 2 bar OS creates 3 new VE tables, those must be populated with data for the engine to run and you need to input the injector data for those injectors even though you will need to get different ones.

Also the MAP sensors linear and offset settings need to be correct for that sensor.

The VVE table and the new VE tables have the axis flipped, so you have to import it into something like excel and flip it, then paste it in there.

You can't just stick 52lb/hr in the table like that. You need the correct data.

Find a stock CTS-V tune and copy over the injector flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and the offset vs volts data. If you want to get some correct injectors get injectors for a flex fuel 6.0 or flex fuel 6.2. Those are either 50 or 52lb/hr injectors already and they spray correctly.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    The VVE table and the new VE tables have the axis flipped, so you have to import it into something like excel and flip it, then paste it in there.
    ive noticed recently that u can inverse most of the tables in the editor now, just have to match up the axis values then can copy straight over

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    ive noticed recently that u can inverse most of the tables in the editor now, just have to match up the axis values then can copy straight over
    That's what i did. i inversed the axis and then pasted the ve tables in. it made sense to me.

Potential Tuner

You can't just stick 52lb/hr in the table like that. You need the correct data.

Find a stock CTS-V tune and copy over the injector flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and the offset vs volts data. If you want to get some correct injectors get injectors for a flex fuel 6.0 or flex fuel 6.2. Those are either 50 or 52lb/hr injectors already and they spray correctly.
    The Reason i did that is that the stock injector was rated at 36.4lb/hr across the whole table kPa. So i figured it would be the same with the 56lb/hr injector.

Injectors will be changed. just trying to get it to run decent to move it around.

Potential Tuner

update #3

tried to figure out why fuel LTFT is so high and Fuel Status #1 CL Fault is present.

found that Fuel System>Fuel Pressure> Desired fuel pressure had Normal and low settings of 200kPa. Raised both settings to 400kPa.

Ran engine and found that surge/ stall and ABS T/Control lights no longer come on. Engine ran to operating temperature for about 20 minutes and no issues.

Still trying to determine Fuel Status #1 CL Fault and why LTFT is high (+25 to +29 range).

Exhaust smells super rich. Accidently forgot to log file. Burt previous file logged above shows same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by D Miller View Post
    The Reason i did that is that the stock injector was rated at 36.4lb/hr across the whole table kPa. So i figured it would be the same with the 56lb/hr injector.

Injectors will be changed. just trying to get it to run decent to move it around.
    The other parts of the injector data is critical to how it runs, just so you know. The flow rate change isn't enough, get those other data points put in and it will run better.

I didn't google it yet or research that MAP sensor but if your KOEO reading is over 100kpa, then the linear and offset data is incorrect for that specific sensor. If you know what vehicle uses that sensor, then you can figure out what those two settings need to be.

Also if you are using a blow off valve with a MAF still in use, the placement of that is important.

Potential Tuner
    Took a peak at the file, I have 2008 silverado with 6.0 swap. You MAP sensor Linear offset is incorrect, you should be seeing around 100kpa with KOEO, If you are running a 2 bar map try map sensor linear 128.20 and map linear offset -.30 I think this is the majority of your issue, the idle is set extremely low as well at 500rpm. I would bump the base idle up to 675-700 range. I cant see you VVE tables for some reason, but assuming your map sensor data is wrong that is the biggest part of your issue.

Exhaust smells rich because you are super lean, ECU can only compensate for 30% LTFT and you are there. I went through this same issue on mine, it was all VE related and wrong MAP sensor parameters. Also try setting your Offset to Vacuum instead of MAP.
    Last edited by Rush2252; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:19 PM.