Thread: L83 Chopacobra "need more chop"

L83 Chopacobra "need more chop"

its not real choppy at all would like to get a steady chop if possible new to gen 5
    tuner said thats all the chop that it will do as its not too big but i just thought with a 108 lsa it would chop really good even thought its only 214/228

would like it to idle like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjE4EEwZUu0

Tuning Addict
    Datalog?

That is a different gen truck from the looks of it and you can tell it's being forced - goes into a timing / O2 swing chop at the end. You can force crazy crap on the gen V's too, but sometimes it bites you for drivability.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

it chops decent in park or neutral but im forcing it

theres no chop if i put it in gear. i can see the timing stops swinging when i put it in gear, what does predicted tab do under idle>rpm>speed control. have not messed with this
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Datalog?

That is a different gen truck from the looks of it and you can tell it's being forced - goes into a timing / O2 swing chop at the end. You can force crazy crap on the gen V's too, but sometimes it bites you for drivability.
    it is a 2014 silverado gen 5 l83

Tuning Addict
    You still haven't dialed anything in? Predicted is throttle control. Immediate is timing control. Trucks start to ignition knock bad if you try to overly use timing control for higher rpm errors FWIW.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    stock converter? those cams work better with a higher stall. you can get them to chop more if you like, and drives way better too. just my opinion

You have too much timing/throttle control for the "in gear" areas and converter needs to be loosened up in the tune. Idle will always chop more, but they can chop in gear stopped and when coming down from about 3mph to stop. Chop will go away once you start moving 3-5mph typically. Sounds like you're looking for the chop for pulling into the car meets barely rolling?
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST (93-E85 flex fuel tune)
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    If you're desperate, run in open loop and lean out the idle areas you want more chop from. Or you can do it the right way and get a higher stall converter.
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Advanced Tuner
    That ho spark map and the e85 spark maps need to be gone over. Several other wacky things in there.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsv2011 View Post
    its not real choppy at all would like to get a steady chop if possible new to gen 5
    tuner said thats all the chop that it will do as its not too big but i just thought with a 108 lsa it would chop really good even thought its only 214/228

would like it to idle like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjE4EEwZUu0
    A camshaft is mechanically defined at the time it was ground( made). The lobe center or overlap between valve events will dictate the "chop" you're speaking of so it is what it is. Looks like a 106 degree from your information above. With a modest duration as you show here and a 106 overlap, it will chop Now if you go dumping a ton of fuel into the engine it'll chop more but that will be limited because you'll like wash the oil off the pistons and cylinders and seize the engine pretty quickly, the same is true if you're starving the engine for fuel. Make sure you have enough fuel pressure and injectors with enough flow to feed the beast. Check your spark advance. The cam should have some timing information with it. If a mechanic installed it for you, you might ask if he advanced or retarded the came timing on install and how much. I know which cam you're speaking of and the Chopacabra is indeed pretty lumpy at idle. There are several things that can effect that really. Valve springs, compression, timing, the AFR, and I'm no expert. Others here may have some more information for you.