Thread: l83 Tuning VVE For Dummies HELPP

l83 Tuning VVE For Dummies HELPP

can someone please explain to me on how to tune my VVE.

is it like gen 4 just log eq error vs map readings copy and multiply by percent into VVE table then calculate coefficients.

if there are other steps please advise i have experience with gen 3 and some gen 4 nothing in gen 5 but trying to learn thanks

here is my current tune
    truck was tuned by a one of those big name tuners so not claiming this as my tune or my work

Tuning Addict
    You can tell it's a "big name" A lot of things aren't done right...

There is a trick to VE tuning these. Contrarily to your "big name" tune, it actually needs to be dialed in for one, but in the SD section there is a setting called VE base temp. Before flashing set this to your ambient temp as read in the data. Then flash and log and make corrections. Anytime you flash it you need to set that base temp. Otherwise it'll constantly change it's calculation unless you're fortunate enough to be tuning while it's 70 outside.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You can tell it's a "big name" A lot of things aren't done right...

There is a trick to VE tuning these. Contrarily to your "big name" tune, it actually needs to be dialed in for one, but in the SD section there is a setting called VE base temp. Before flashing set this to your ambient temp as read in the data. Then flash and log and make corrections. Anytime you flash it you need to set that base temp. Otherwise it'll constantly change it's calculation unless you're fortunate enough to be tuning while it's 70 outside.
    when logging eq err vs map do i log it in kpa or bar?

Tuning Addict
    You have to use the pressure math called pressure ratio. It's (map kpa / baro kpa)
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You have to use the pressure math called pressure ratio. It's (map kpa / baro kpa)
    here is my log of idle so if i copy paste this into vve and calculate coefficients do you think that will make my idle less jumpy. this is the truck with the maf failed running strictly on speed density. i think the truck would chop more if i could get a stable idle. it idles alot better on the maf tune but nothing like how i see in videos of this cam
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    Definitely another prime example of a "big name" tune...

Made some changes to help you get going in the right direction. Get fuel pretty well dialed in with the engine at full operating temp and injector tip temp above 60 celcius. Ignore below there. You'll adjust outside of there using a different table.

~Greg Huggins~

Senior Tuner
    Who did this? The timing table should probably start over.. Among a lot of other things.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Who did this? The timing table should probably start over.. Among a lot of other things.
    Bad thing is, it looks like a lot of the "big name - big name shop" tunes I regularly see although the timing table in particular looks like a tuner that the OP has used before as "that big name tuner" always puts the same timing tables into everything, so I would ask why again? Lots ignored and left stock even though big changes were made to the engine.

To the OP, if you use the cal I posted, it should be smoother so you can get things dialed in. You can put the lope in later. Those tables will force you to better tune things and show problems you may not have otherwise noticed before hand.

Now with that being said, I've got to get back to work!
    Last edited by GHuggins; 03-01-2024 at 07:04 PM.

~Greg Huggins~