Thread: Vats

Tuner

Vats

Just checking to make sure I have this right...if I want to disable VATS I just set it to NONE and do a full 'WRITE VIN/TUNERLOCK/VATS' ???

Friends VATS died (ignition cylinder or something?) in his 02 Z28 and is preventing him from starting his car. So I am going to turn it off.

Yep, right after you do a standard "write"
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner

Thumbs down

Just want to let everyone know, setting the VATS to NONE did absolutely nothing for us. I set it to none and did a standard write as Keith@HPTuners suggested. He said a stadard write is all that is necessary.

Well that might have set it to none in the PCM but it DID NOT DISABLE the VATS.

I also tried doing a Write VIN/TUNERLOCK/VATS and nothing

Also tried a FULL WRITE, ....NOTHING

I ended up ripping the kick panel off, finding the orange wire, and shorting it with the proper resistor...car started right up. This leads me to believe that setting VATS to none to try and turn it off does absolutely nothing as far as disabling it.
    Last edited by boostls2; 03-14-2007 at 10:34 AM.

Any feedback on this? Any other things to check if one sees the same symptoms after performing the rewrites as above?

A number of the folks building FFR GTM's are having the VATS disabled in the computer, but it doesnt actually turn it off, they still exibit the same vats symptoms. The engine may run fine for a number of starts, but the symptoms return, sometime after a battery disconnect. (these problems appear on C5 PCM's with stock harnesses and TBW)

Are certain year PCM's problematic? Certain year programs?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

David

If its the ignition cylinder, then that could be a seperate issue to the PCM. The PCM is just one part of the VATS system.
    I count sheep in hex...

Send your file to Chris so he can disable the column lock "feature" of the C5's.
    Always Support Our Troops!

my buddies ignition was broken someone tried to steal it, he got a new steering column, i turned his vats to none and the truck started and has been runnin fine for about a month now
    2004 Sierra, 5.3L, K&N, TB Bypass, HP Tuners, FLT 4l80/Yank PT3200/SE Conversion, Dynatech LT's, LS1 Fans, 3:73's, HID's in Headlights/Fogs, 22" Velocity Wheels.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2492197