Thread: O/S upgrade

Tuner in Training

O/S upgrade

Hi guys,

Im a newbie trying to piece this all together for my early ls1 in a wh statesman.

I've been tinkering with my tune compared to a few hsv tunes which have way more timing just about everywhere but I have a problem with knock sensors going off even with the standard high octane table! I'm trying to work out where to tinker with the timing table...I've been reducing timing thinking airmass was the same as map so I was picking off the scanner where the KR kicked in and looking that up on the spark table and reducing timing.

I've only just come to notice that map isnt airmass so I'm just trying to work out how to easily pinpoint the right spot to reduce timing from a log in order to avoid the pinging? I think I've stopped the pinging by reducing large swathes of timing in the rev ranges it was occuring but it obviously doesn't perform too lively anymore.

Additionally I experimented with the VX clubsport knock sensor settings and that doesn't set them off at all.....and then added an aggressive spark curve which bought the car alive....but is that safe? I felt bad so I put it back to factory knock sensor settings and factory table and kept trying to reduce spark.....

Does anyone have some advice on how to approach this? Does everyone just change knock sensor sensitivity? I don't even know if the pinging is real I can't hear it.....

The other thing is I have the old O/s without any lean cruise - but I'd like to have it, whats the approach to change this is it easy? The VX clubsport tune I have includes lean cruise....can I upload that to the car and then I have it?

I also notice the hsv tunes all have a lot less advance in the low airmass low rpm areas does anyone know why this is? Just curious as to the differences.....

Thanks!

Put in a tank of the highest octane fuel you have available, then subtract 4 or 5 degrees from the whole entire table all at once (do not peck at it, this is a diagnostic test). If it still shows the same amount of knock in the same ranges, then it's not knock but rather something mechanical setting the sensors off, and you can put normal timing back in it and start chasing down whatever the mechanical noise is.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks I did try 98 - I could always try and chase down some octane boost and try that.

Car sure felt better with more timing!

Does anyone know how to approach the o/s & lean cruise?

I was looking at the vx clubby tune I have wondering how you'd edit the vin etc? And if the o/s is different does that mean the new tune will only be read as an old one - ie will ignore lean cruise?

Where is your tune file? I do not see it posted. If you post it, like the directions say right at the top of the forum, I can check the VIN and see if your OS is current. Also post this other file you have so I can run that VIN as well.

Tuner in Training
    I'll upload them just need to see how to....my tune is a 00 old o/s whereas the vx is the new o/s - same p01 pcm though.

Tuner in Training
    ORIGINAL TUNE.hptstock 02 vx hsv clubsport auto.hpt

I worked it out!

The VX tune has way more advance and lean cruise mode....but different o/s.....so wondering how I can use that feature?

THanks again!!

Well that's a 2000 vs. 2002, not an old OS revision vs a later revision for the same VIN.

Do they both use the same PCM service number?

Tuner in Training
    Oh the Vx tune is just from the repository - I only own the Wh. Everything I read suggested the os changed from 2000 to 2002 but maybe the lean fuel just wasn?t programmed in on the wh as it doesn?t have the tab there at all.
    Is there a way I can upload the vx file to the wh or isn?t it that easy? Thanks again.

Tuner in Training
    Hi guys in addition to my LC / os questions I was just reading about stft?s and open loop?I had assumed that because the log shows them operating they would be?.and they seem to indicate lean conditions. The ltft?s also show lean conditions (I had already increased most of my ve table so I was a bit surprised). Now I?m wondering would the pinging I was having possibly be from lean conditions that when in open loop the fuel trims aren?t correcting a lean condition?
    Should I make it all much richer and give it another go? Or try enabling stft?s in open loop?

Car ran so much better with more spark advance so hoping I can get some back!
    I?m also wondering do ltft?s operate in open loop?
    Wondering if the lean conditions from resetting the ltft?s (which has been adding fuel) made it knock more and instead of adding fuel to ve table I reduced advance?..sure keeps the mind working this lol
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-10-2024 at 07:58 PM.