Thread: fueling goes lean with addition of E

Advanced Tuner

fueling goes lean with addition of E

I just decided to start my own thread instead of adding to the "flex sensor not accurate one".

I have read some conflicting info on what to change and what not to change when adding E. I know some say to alter the "afr stoic table" if your trims are off. Others say that if you need to do that your injector data could be off. I'm 99% sure my injector data is correct (ID1050s) and I'm still lean (especially during cold start). What I can't get through my novice tuning brain is that if I change the stoic table isn't the fueling still going to be lean, but the trims just won't show it as much?

So I already re-did my maf/vve on pump and I put some E in the tank (E58ish). Like previously, I'm now running a little lean (I haven't altered the stoic table yet). The attached log is a "cold" start and now I'm very lean at idle with the addition of E. Would changing the stoic table help correct this or would I look into alter OL alcohol tables possibly? During the cold start/driving it doesn't drive the greatest due to being lean. I also attached a short drive that i did with a couple bring PE pulls (not WOT or anything). Lambda doesn't seem to be terribly off, but I'd prefer to get that closer than it is

2.35 pulley, ID1050Xs, CURRENT TUNE-FLEX FUEL.hptlean OL idle with E.hplfirst log with E 2024.hpl
    Last edited by sgod1100; 03-12-2024 at 07:45 AM.

How much time did you drive after reflash? I'll show lean after reflash. Takes about 10-20min driving before I get clean data. I barely drive on gas so I've done all my tuning on e85. When I go to gas I'm maybe 3-6% off on trims and I just ignore it.
    Last edited by JayRolla; 03-13-2024 at 08:09 AM.
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, upgraded pump, 3/4" lines, griptec 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, AEM 30-0334 wbo2, 600whp/630wtq

First things first. Does the E content data match the measured content?
    I use this to verify % so I know I am getting accurate content. It is cheap and accurate. It has saved me countless times on diagnostics for more than just "Tuning".
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=REV+X+E85+Super+Tester

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRolla View Post
    How much time did you drive after reflash. I'll show lean after reflash. Takes about 10-20min driving before I get clean data. I barely drive in gas so ive done all my tuning in e85. When I go to gas im maybe 3-6% off on trims and I just ignore it.
    I drove a decent amount 20-25 prior to logging. Last year I did all my tuning on the E-blend and then when I went to put the car away for the winter i filled up with pump (E content about 15ish%) and I check my trims and they were very rich (10ish%). So this year I decided to retune my maf/vve back on gas. Then filled up with some E (58%) and instead of altering my maf I just decided to do what others have mentioned and slightly alter my stoic afr table (lowered the stoic values by 5% in the 50-60 % alcohol cells to add fuel) to bring my trims back in line. I literally just did that this morning and it seems to be promising. I just want to not have to chase my tail like I have been previously

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    First things first. Does the E content data match the measured content?
    I use this to verify % so I know I am getting accurate content. It is cheap and accurate. It has saved me countless times on diagnostics for more than just "Tuning".
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=REV+X+E85+Super+Tester
    Never tested it honestly...thanks for the link I'll have to pick one up

Senior Tuner
    if u do the stoich just do the far 100% cell and then populate straight line to petrol so that way it keeps all the shift of ethanol to the same adjustment

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    if u do the stoich just do the far 100% cell and then populate straight line to petrol so that way it keeps all the shift of ethanol to the same adjustment
    I wanted to do just the cells that I'm mainly in first to see where those need to be at. Then I'll do exactly what you are talking about.