Thread: Keeping vin from 5.3 to 4.8 possible????

Tuner in Training

Keeping vin from 5.3 to 4.8 possible????

OK, This might be a really dumb question , but couldnt find it in the forums, and dont know what the proper response is.

So i have a 2004 tahoe that origally came with 5.3 - 4l603 trans

swapped to a drivetrain from a van so now the engine and trans is a 4.8 - 4l80e

using the original ecm i seg swapped the 4.8 and 4l80e.

Im trying to keep the vin so i left it alone, i wrote it entire, and when i went to read it again to double check , the TUNE OVERVIEW still shows its a 5.3 , which is
    probably cause thats what vin comes up as, but my question is, is that going to affect anthing? and if so what? will it work like that, or is there a better way to do it?
    please let me know what i should do , if you know,
    posting both files just incase needed
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    Attached Files Attached Files

The VIN literally means nothing unless you have some sort of strict emission requirements in your state that require everything to match.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The VIN literally means nothing unless you have some sort of strict emission requirements in your state that require everything to match.
    Yes that what im trying to keep it the same for.

Will it work with the vin showing 5.3 and the actual file being for 4.8?
    will that affect anything?

Senior Tuner
    Does your emission test station check the CVNs for all the modules? If it does it will fail with the CVNs for the segments you swapped regardless of the VIN. Emission tests that check CVNs require all CVNs to be correct for the vehicle VIN. If they don't check those how are they going to know it's a 4.8L with a 4L80?

Tuner in Training
    just papers it will still show same vin
    they dont care about the rest.

will the tune being a 4.8 4l80 and vin being a 5.3 4l60 work? or will something not work or will it act up or something?

Tuner in Training
    tune is a 4.8
    vin is 5.3
    because of the vin the tune overview shows 5.3
    will that matter?
    or will it work just fine?
    has anyone did this ?
    is there another way to use 4.8 tune on the 5.3 vin?

Tuner in Training
    im just trying to keep vin the same, and need the programming for a 4.8 4l80e.

Tuner in Training
    but like i said the tune overview shows it still 5.3 . will that matter at all on it starting , running , and working fine?

Like I said earlier, the VIN means nothing unless it's for emissions related reasons, The computer doesn't care nor does the engine care that it says 5.3 but it's really a 4.8. The calibration has to be tune for whatever engine is installed and that's about it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    HP Tuners is using the 8th digit of the VIN to ID the engine type. That is all.

Tuner in Training
    ohhhh ok , got cha, i misunderstood i thought you was saying just put a 4.8 vin in cause you could shut vats off and dont matter. didnt realise you was saying vin didnt matter on tune at all.
    THANK YOU