Thread: First time tuning, How'd I do?

Potential Tuner

First time tuning, How'd I do?

Hey all,

i just installed a reman 6l80 in my 2014 Silverado LT 4x4 L83. I Pulled the code from the original unit before hand ( which both modules had a canned diablo tune and had lost the Stock file.

i didn't do much of anything in the ECM, did recalibrate for tire size. i generated the TCM file from the original pull and added the tables from generated from BlueCat and Zerod out all TCC slip and DOD. so far VCM Scanner hasn't let me do a fast learn. driving to and from work today was nerve racking to say the least, lol I data logged both trips and curious on if im on a good track or do i need to start over and what not lol Log-0000-3GCUKREC9EG112477.hpl2014 current.hpt

What torque converter did you install?

If you went with a new OEM 6L80e converter, you'll want it to slip just a little.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    What torque converter did you install?

If you went with a new OEM 6L80e converter, you'll want it to slip just a little.
    I spoke with a tech at street smart in the torque converter department and he said they send their reman 6l80?s with oem style with billet cover. I was going to have them custom build me one but after discussing my build and the DOD delete and cam kit I?m about to install soon he recommended I stay with that (tsp Stage 2 v2 low lift cam)

I have the thermal bypass deleted and on the old transmission my average temp was 154?. At 70? ambient while last night it was 174? at 46? ambient. I?ll get that log uploaded soon. I feel like maybe it needs lock up in 3rd and 4th and with none it?s generating more heat.

How much tcc slip do you think I should put back into it?

If it's got a billet converter, you can have zero slip. If you put in a new OEM converter from a dealership with a non billet cover, then you'd want some slip.

You shift times at WOT are a little quick for a truck in my opinion, I keep them at .3000 at the quickest and have never had an issue in many trucks. 5,000+ lbs is pretty heavy and I don't like to make them shift extremely fast/hard with that weight, a car that is 1,500lbs lighter, that is a little different.

I disable the converter until 5th gear and I raise the 5th and 6th shift mph so that it can't even shift into 5th until about 45mph and 6th at 50mph or higher.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    i downloaded a stock file from the repository and copied everything over so I could basically start over from a blank canvas and get diablosports adjustments out of the way. I adjusted tire size on tire wizard, diactived DOD and divided TCC slip by 2 and after a full day of driving my trans temp stayed below 160. The only time Ive seen a transmission temp in the 170's since i did the bypass delete was when i had my trailer loaded to the gills and I was just shy of 7.5tons. It does shift pretty early and in the process of getting those tables made up. I know that everyone says disable lockup for 1-4th even on ford's but what I'm missing is the why and the science behind it. its my understanding that when TC is not in lock up, it's "slipping" (in Lamens terms) which generates heat. cruising in town i do a lot of driving in 4th so at part throttle Id think you'd want it to lock up.If you have a link to a video or article that dives deep into that I welcome it. I also have some vibrations im trying to track down that starts around 68, peaks at around 78 and smooth's out at 93. I never worried about it before but being as i spent 3K on a new transmission and they voided my warrantee before i even installed it my anxiety is a little high lol. I've attached my current file and the file I used from the repository. I'm waiting to do anything WOT until after I feel everything is good and broken in.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    2014 Silverado dd,BT,TUTD,TCC.hpttcc no lockup.hpl after doing some research and playing around i had it almost where i wanted it as far as shifting. only problem was it went into 6th lockup and didnt want to release. adjusted the min gear, accel gear and wot gear in bluecat. drive home it acted about the same until after 20 minutes it releaces and wouldnt go back into lockup unless i manually commanded it via vcm scanner. back to the drawing board.
    i have decided that given the nature of Gen iv and the 6l80 that im going to pay for a tune for the DOD stage 2 cam, i have a turbo cruze that ill play with to learn on. if it blows i wont be that upset.