Thread: 05 5.3 to 6.0 swap

Potential Tuner

05 5.3 to 6.0 swap

i have this truck that will long crank first startup, if you let it crank for a extended period of time it will backfire. after it cranks the first time no matter how long it was, it will fire right up the second time and every time after until cold again. i know its a tiny bit lean i'm doing some logs to adjust for fueling today, but i cant figure out why it hard starts. no codes. i paid someone to tune this truck for a customer but they did not do a very good job from what ive seen so after checking the normal suspects fuel pressure vacuum leaks etc. I can only assume that its something he may have changed in the file... could anyone take a look and see if they see anything out of the norm that has to do with cranking. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by justinhitt23; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:35 AM.

The camshaft position (CMP) sensor works in conjunction with a 1 X reluctor wheel on the camshaft. The powertrain control module (PCM) provides a 12-volt reference to the CMP sensor as well as a low reference and a signal circuit.

As the camshaft rotates, the reluctor wheel interrupts a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The sensors internal circuitry detects this and produces a signal which the PCM reads.

The CMP sensor 1 X signal is used by the PCM to determine if the cylinder at top dead center (TDC) is on the firing stroke or the exhaust stroke. The PCM can determine TDC for all cylinders by using the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor 24 X signal alone. The engine will start without a CMP signal as long as the PCM receives the CKP sensor 24 X signal. A slightly longer cranking time may be a symptom of this condition. The system attempts synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed indicating that the engine started. If the PCM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the PCM assumes that the PCM incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke and re-syncs to the opposite cam position. If the PCM detects that a CMP to CKP mis-match has occurred DTC P0341 sets.

Potential Tuner
    I dont ever receive a cam code though? wouldnt it normally throw a light?

Not always. I think the description of how it will behave matching up is worth investigating even without a code being set.