Thread: dumb beginner questions

Potential Tuner

Question dumb beginner questions

Hello all! i went to UTI and since graduating (less than 2 months ago) I have not used HP tuners. however i bought a MPVI3 and i am getting ready to flash my 2013 camaro ss.

i have a couple of questions though.

if i go to engine -> fuel -> stoich AFR can i tell the ecu that it is running M85 with a stoichiometric ratio of 7.73?

UTI taught me to use the MAF calibration -> airflow vs frequency to change actual AFR in a N/A engine. but how do i tell the (now supercharged) engine to use MAP instead of MAF? i looked it up and they said it was already wired for MAP. but i cant exactly figure out how to use MAP...

before i went to my camaro's ecu data. i went to the example corvette. and it just had an option for superchargers. pulley ratio and everything. can i do something like that here?
    (just re-read this. dumb question. not standalone and the stock ecu would have no possible way of knowing this. my B)

i am planning to start with just a smoothed 15% multiplier on fuel delivery because i want it to run 15% rich above idle. is there a better way to do this?

it has a 110 lb fuel pump and 152 lb/hr injectors. how do i tell the ecu these numbers?

yes i did try to answer these questions on my own. no such luck. any help is VERY appreciated

i will be dyno tuning so i will have actual AFR values to compare to.
    Last edited by noboi4; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:20 PM. Reason: added to question 3. thats a dumb question...

Most people use the MAF and the MAP, but to use the MAP correctly you must buy a 3 bar MAP sensor. GM sells the red top MAP and that's the only MAP to buy. I forget the part number off hand, it's the same one the ZL1 and CTS-V uses.

3. Not required, don't need to do any of that.

4. You can't do that unless you plan to run open loop only with zero o2 sensor close loop control. I see zero reason to run it 15% rich all over the place. This isn't a small block chevy and you'll just make your life worse trying to do that.

5. No idea how big a 110 lb fuel pump is, what is the LPH on that pump and are you running an aftermarket regulator?

What injectors did you buy? Did they come with data for them? If they have no data, you better get it or get injectors that do come with data.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Most people use the MAF and the MAP, but to use the MAP correctly you must buy a 3 bar MAP sensor. GM sells the red top MAP and that's the only MAP to buy. I forget the part number off hand, it's the same one the ZL1 and CTS-V uses.

3. Not required, don't need to do any of that.

4. You can't do that unless you plan to run open loop only with zero o2 sensor close loop control. I see zero reason to run it 15% rich all over the place. This isn't a small block chevy and you'll just make your life worse trying to do that.

5. No idea how big a 110 lb fuel pump is, what is the LPH on that pump and are you running an aftermarket regulator?

What injectors did you buy? Did they come with data for them? If they have no data, you better get it or get injectors that do come with data.
    buying that map sensor now.

3. good to know. will proceed.

4. :/ yeah fair enough. its really just at 5000+ that i want a slight cooling effect.

5:
    these are the fuel injectors, i asked the company and they said it was made to run 152 lb/hr with 80 psi. im definitely not replacing them as they needed to be saultered in. picture does not match.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...make/chevrolet

fuel pump:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...make/chevrolet

thank you for the speedy response!!

Deatschwerks will have the data for those injectors on the website or they can email you the data. But those are like extreme overkill as they can make like 1500hp on injectors that size. The description says that flow 200lb/hr.

You must put in the Injector flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and the offset data. All of that will be provided on a spreadsheet from them.

You're going to have to scale the tune file to run injectors that size too. The computers flow rate limit is 127lb/hr. The work around is the scale it by half. You'll double the stoich table, half the flow rate and half the IVT Terms to scale it. All your tuning will be done in Lambda. You're diving into the deep end with this project.

As for the pump, that is a really big pump, you'll want to watch your fuel pressure as that pump can put out a ton of pressure.

Is this a dedicated race car or something? Is that why you only want to run M85?
    Last edited by 5FDP; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:55 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Deatschwerks will have the data for those injectors on the website or they can email you the data. But those are like extreme overkill as they can make like 1500hp on injectors that size. The description says that flow 200lb/hr.

You must put in the Injector flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and the offset data. All of that will be provided on a spreadsheet from them.

You're going to have to scale the tune file to run injectors that size too. The computers flow rate limit is 127lb/hr. The work around is the scale it by half. You'll double the stoich table, half the flow rate and half the IVT Terms to scale it. All your tuning will be done in Lambda. You're diving into the deep end with this project.

As for the pump, that is a really big pump, you'll want to watch your fuel pressure as that pump can put out a ton of pressure.

Is this a dedicated race car or something? Is that why you only want to run M85?
    yes they are incredably large injectors, will work on getting that data tomorrow. about to go to bed.

thank you so much, especially for the scale by half workaround.

yes its a big pump. but im going to be running ~35 lbs boost on a whipple 4l supercharger (W245AX bare) (installed but not working yet, engine spooled to redline before i could kill it last time i started it) and with the low stoichiometric ratio of methanol it will be needed to run a LOT of fuel. im trying to burn half the tank in a 1/2 mile.

its a drag car. it has a 6 point roll cage with a narrowed rear end and wide slicks.

its never going to see the street, so i guess its a dedicated race car lol

im aiming for 800 whp. i think this might actually do it tbh.

tomorrow im going to take what i have and try to run it. if i do i will get a dyno pull and share the log