Thread: Stock LQ4 in an 02 1500HD Tuning

Potential Tuner

Stock LQ4 in an 02 1500HD Tuning

Hi! I am brand new to tuning, I have an MVI3 and an 02 Sierra 1500HD that I restored (I live in Canada). I put a bone stock GM reman LQ4 back into the truck, had the 4L80e rebuilt as well as the transfer case, I do believe the transmission has a shift kit in it as well as a "different", most likely upgraded of some sorts converter but I don't know what exactly it has as that info kind of got lost during the rebuild process; regardless I have a bone stock motor with a slightly upgraded 4l80e, and it has around 14k km's on it so far.

I believe all of the stock 1500HD's came with the 4:10's though I could be mistaken but the rear end itself is not as strong as the 2500HD I do know that. It has been rebuilt though. I run 20x10's during the summer with 33' tires on them and then in the winter I run the stock rims with 275/85's. As far as I have read the 33' tires make my gearing closer to the 3:73's.

I have messed around with the VCM scanner but haven't gone into the editor yet, but I was looking to see if any of you who read this have some recommendations on what I can change to improve the stock tuning without getting myself into trouble and wrecking something. I have future plans for possibly a pro charger/supercharger with supporting mods of course, but I wanted to "dip my toes" into the tuning world and start with it being bone stock from the intake to the cats. I do have it true dual to two magnaflow mufflers as of right now.

Some things to note are that I replaced the knock sensors and pig tail, new intake gaskets, remaned injectors, new aftermarket OE spec coil packs, new plug wires, harness was gone through, everything is doing what it should.

However, I have an EGR code. I have narrowed it down to simply being a broken wire leading to the plug on the egr itself. I have not fixed it yet but the thing is I have an issue where sometimes the truck fires right up, and sometimes it wont fire on the first crank, but will always fire on the second when it does this. Sometimes it will sputter and then run but regardless once its running it doesn't skip a beat.

SO, I know this is long but I've been reading and I think I'd like to tune out the egr entirely as well as potentially tuning out the knock sensors.
    Alongside that I'd like to tune the truck to gain on fuel economy, responsiveness, hp, etc. The truck is pretty so it doesn't tow much anymore if at all. It is a daily driver.

I know this is a lot to read but if anyone would like to steer me in the right direction with a how to for dummies basically on what to start with, even with unlocking the computer with credits lol, please feel free to write something for me. I can acquire data logging if needed.

THANKS
    -Gavin
    Last edited by Gavin Meikle; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:19 PM.